Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

5 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Hey Mike...Have you ever heard of a team taking on it's coach's personality? Stop pointing the finger and start pointing the thumb. 

Woodson played for a coach who was known for letting the team dictate the culture instead of the coach dictating it :coffee:

• Haha 3

Like I stated in my original post in this thread, my preference would be for this to work out for another couple of years before a natural handoff. 

The question I am wrestling with right now though is, can Woody generate enough buzz in the portal to bring in the types of players we need to turn this around next year?  That worries me. The thought of another lost season is depressing and sickening. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

Hypothetically speaking…I’ll just say it. Woody was the dude to turn around Archie’s mess and make IU attractive again. With NIL, IU needs to move in a more modern direction. I may catch hell for this, but offer Chris Beard whatever. The dude wins. This fan base craves winning. That’s what he does. Wouldn’t lose steam in recruiting at all…modernize the program. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Hypothetically speaking…I’ll just say it. Woody was the dude to turn around Archie’s mess and make IU attractive again. With NIL, IU needs to move in a more modern direction. I may catch hell for this, but offer Chris Beard whatever. The dude wins. This fan base craves winning. That’s what he does. Wouldn’t lose steam in recruiting at all…modernize the program. 

It will never happen but IU would immediately be back to a level we’d all be thrilled with. Dude has Ole Miss at 18-3 in year one.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fife is still out of coaching.  Whatever he did, he did to himself.  Reminder #7000

Maybe, but I’d rather have Fife coaching right now than Woodson. Fife would at least give a crap, show some fire. But I’m starting to wonder if Fife knew what was going to happen and wasn’t a “yes man”. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fife is still out of coaching.  Whatever he did, he did to himself.  Reminder #7000

Don’t need a reminder. I’m well aware he’s still not coaching. Nonetheless, program took a hit in terms of coaching and development with he and Matta gone and that’s undeniable 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am so tired of his excuses. He needs to look in the mirror because he is the main problem 

I would love to hear what he thinks has gone wrong in terms of his performance. He never really addresses what he could do better aside from “not getting them over the hump”. 

27 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

+1, If we are doing what ifs, maybe we should have hired Lewis instead of Fife. He sounded like he would have taken it if we had kept pursuing

Edited by GaloisGroupe

Anyone but "yes man" Dolson.  Anyone but a Woodson.  I hate to say it but I told you.  I was right about Crean and right about Archie.  I've given solutions every time.  No one listens.

Beard, Pearl, Drew, and Marshall and the solutions right now.  There's your answer Scott.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Anyone but "yes man" Dolson.  Anyone but a Woodson.  I hate to say it but I told you.  I was right about Crean and right about Archie.  I've given solutions every time.  No one listens.

Beard, Pearl, Drew, and Marshall and the solutions right now.  There's your answer Scott.

I've said this consistently the last couple of weeks. I think Woodson deserves another year, but I think whether he deserves another year is irrelevant and completely the wrong question. 

If you're the AD or whoever is making these decisions, the only question that matters is, "do you think Mike Woodson and his staff are the people to turn this around in a big way?"

If the answer is "no", then you have to clean house after this season. If the answer is "yes", then as the AD I would need an extremely detailed plan from Woodson clearly outlining how he plans to turn it around. If I like the plan then I guess he would get that year that he deserves. If I don't (ie. very little change, need to get them over the hump, etc.) then you also have to make the change. 

• Like 7

We're going to have guys leave this offseason, for a variety of reasons.  On the surface, with the portal, fans may think it's no big deal.  It is a HUGE deal.  The portal should be used to bring in 2-3 players that can mesh with what you have.  Needing to overhaul the team and bring in 7-8 is not a recipe for success.  It may work for a new coach, but has no chance with a coach already in place.  It's very doubtful we can get 7-8 portal commits with this system in place.  Transfers aren't going to want to play here based on what they are seeing this season.    

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We're going to have guys leave this offseason, for a variety of reasons.  On the surface, with the portal, fans may think it's no big deal.  It is a HUGE deal.  The portal should be used to bring in 2-3 players that can mesh with what you have.  Needing to overhaul the team and bring in 7-8 is not a recipe for success.  It may work for a new coach, but has no chance with a coach already in place.  It's very doubtful we can get 7-8 portal commits with this system in place.  Transfers aren't going to want to play here based on what they are seeing this season.    

Yeah…

There is a scenario, don’t think it’s likely but it isn’t zero, that we have a lot of guys leave, struggle to fill the roster then win like ten games next year. Dolson has to be worried about his job security if he brings Woodson back and that happens. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah…

There is a scenario, don’t think it’s likely but it isn’t zero, that we have a lot of guys leave, struggle to fill the roster then win like ten games next year. Dolson has to be worried about his job security if he brings Woodson back and that happens. 

That scenario is my greatest fear. 

2 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Beard would be a home run hire

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Beard would be a home run hire

Yes please. Either this program needs to be serious about winning or accept that it’s no different than Minnesota. The program was built by Bob Knight, warts and all, so we shouldn’t scoff at a proven winner that also has some warts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1