Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, HoosierDPU95 said:

Neither have I. Saturday showed me that this team and staff haven't mailed it in.

This team is bipolar.  i couldn't tell you what they will plat like from game to game.  Which is kinda maddening that they are not consistently bad, mediocre or good.  This is the hardest thing for me.  When they show glimpses of what many expected, but then it quickly disappears.  They even do this within games.  How many great 5 minute stretches then turn into absolute garbage stretches.  

I don't know the answer but man, somewhere inside that team is a above average squad.  How to get that identity to play 35+ minutes is the question.

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, I don't agree, at all. No more than the others have developed/been scouted/and or are mental jokes. 

I haven't been involved in any of those convos, though. 

We are currently tracking towards the worst IU team in your lifetime, sans Crean's first three years. If you think that is the best anyone could do with this group then that's a whole different indictment for a team with our recruiting and NIL budget.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This team is bipolar.  i couldn't tell you what they will plat like from game to game.  Which is kinda maddening that they are not consistently bad, mediocre or good.  This is the hardest thing for me.  When they show glimpses of what many expected, but then it quickly disappears.  They even do this within games.  How many great 5 minute stretches then turn into absolute garbage stretches.  

I don't know the answer but man, somewhere inside that team is a above average squad.  How to get that identity to play 35+ minutes is the question.

My opinion is that the "head of the snake" on the court is the main contributor to the inconsistency of this team. Yes, there are weaknesses with the roster, etc. etc. but when your super senior, captain, point guard is all over the map, it's hard for a team without another respected, vocal leader (like TJD was) to not follow

Edited by HoosierDPU95
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

My opinion is that the "head of the snake" on the court is the main contributor to the inconsistency of this team. Yes, there are weaknesses with the roster, etc. etc. but when your super senior, captain, point guard is all over the map, it's hard for a team without another respected, vocal leader (like TJD was) to not follow

they played bipolar before X was even on the court so i don't put it all on him.  He definitely should be better though.  TG is also a Sr on this team and fails to lead also.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

they played bipolar before X was even on the court so i don't put it all on him.  He definitely should be better though

Without X, we're inexperienced...With him, so far, erratic...

But I do think he's turning the corner...BS tech and charging call aside :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Some of this lives with TG also. As a SR starter, he should be more consistent and lead better at all times. 

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've said it in multiple posts this year, we go as X goes.  We need him to be good more so than anyone else on this team. 

I thought he had turned the corner after the OSU game.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...  I sure hope he has though for my above stated reason.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Some of this lives with TG also. As a SR starter, she should be more consistent and lead better at all times. 

Absolutely. I would love to see TG be more vocal and get up in guys faces. I would love to see more of that from MR as well. He's arguably our best player and has a "right" to be a vocal leader even if he's just a sophomore. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

IF, FFS, IF--- we could EVER rebound on the defensive end at a high clip, or offense would benefit exponentially because we could run so much more often.

The lack of rebounding drives me crazy too.

Honest b-ball question though. Is it possible to be a good rebounding team that ALSO gets out in transition? I always though it was more of a 'one or the other' situation. Guards aren't focused on boxing out because they need to get out in transition, which leads to the front court being over-whelmed on the boards. 

I'd think that in order to implement this somewhat successfully you need 2 VERY good rebounding bigs. 

Edited by tdhoosier

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would give us around a 5% chance of making the tournament. To just get to 20 wins we have to go 8-3 which is going to be very hard to accomplish. Even 20 wins might not he enough to get in.

FWIW, IU currently has a 12% chance of getting an at large bid. Gonzaga is currently the last projected at large team, with a 49% chance of a bid. IA is at 35%. NEB 10%, OSU 7%, MD 3%, Rutgers 2%. MN, MI PSU all 0%. Currently 5 B1G teams with a better than 50% chance of a bid. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracketology/

• Like 1

Lots of problems with this year’s team, and we probably won’t make the tournament, but there are some positives that we can build on for next season. If MgBako comes back, Reneau keeps improving (likely 1st team All-B10 next year) and McNeeley is as good as advertised, we are once again a couple of good scoring guards away from being a top 25 team. The transfer portal changes everything. Playing time won’t be an issue next year for elite guards when considering IU. Woodson knows that, and he gets another year. I didn’t even mention we might still end up with Queen at center. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

FWIW, IU currently has a 12% chance of getting an at large bid. Gonzaga is currently the last projected at large team, with a 49% chance of a bid. IA is at 35%. NEB 10%, OSU 7%, MD 3%, Rutgers 2%. MN, MI PSU all 0%. Currently 5 B1G teams with a better than 50% chance of a bid. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracketology/

Torvik gives IU a 0% at an at large bid, with a 0.4% chance at an auto bid. IMO it’s probably between 0% and 12%, but it feels closer to 0% than it does to 12%.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Indiana&year=2024

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Torvik gives IU a 0% at an at large bid, with a 0.4% chance at an auto bid. IMO it’s probably between 0% and 12%, but it feels closer to 0% than it does to 12%.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Indiana&year=2024

Anything's possible:

Square profile picture

Most lightning strikes survived #OnThisDay in 1972 Roy Sullivan's hair was set on fire by a lightning strike - the third occasion that Roy had been struck. The unfortunate park ranger from Virginia, USA survived a total of seven lighting strikes during his lifetime 
  • Haha 4

On 1/27/2024 at 7:49 PM, Seeking6 said:

The usual suspects making the usual arguments.

I always go back to before the year. Why were our expectations high? 80% roster turnover right?

Maybe because our staff had players in the right position last year and they executed? You can't say expectations were high and subsequently say they are below the bar without admitting the staff exceeded things last year.

The 3-4 musketeers can't have it both ways. 

In terms of game. Was courtside. The charge on X was total BS. Let the one bald dude know...and almost got tossed. 

Good luck to the board gang. I've shared my thoughts with a few. This is Peegs now....and such a shame. 

I don't know about "high" expectations.  I think the expectation has been to make the tournament and finish in top half of Big Ten.  That isn't high to me.

Why did people feel that way?  Well, we had a combined 10 years of experience in the back court and 3 5* players in the front court.  Honestly, if anything, our expectations were a little muted given we had an idea that our 10 years of experience could be streaky but the team failed to meet even those muted expectations.  I don't think there is a team in the BIG doing less with more than Indiana.  One 5* guy for some of the teams above us would be considered an abundance of riches.  We start 3.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't know about "high" expectations.  I think the expectation has been to make the tournament and finish in top half of Big Ten.  That isn't high to me.

Why did people feel that way?  Well, we had a combined 10 years of experience in the back court and 3 5* players in the front court.  Honestly, if anything, our expectations were a little muted given we had an idea that our 10 years of experience could be streaky but the team failed to meet even those muted expectations.  I don't think there is a team in the BIG doing less with more than Indiana.  One 5* guy for some of the teams above us would be considered an abundance of riches.  We start 3.

True, but the 5 stars are all in the front court. Can’t win at a high level in today’s game without elite guards who can knock down the 3…..but I do agree, with 3 of them, we should be better than we are.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seeing a new "toughness" out of Mgbako along with the growth in his game (moderate at the defensive end)...Hummel even said he sees the improvement right after Mac hit the 3 to tie it at 62...

Another thing Hummel said during the Wisconsin game...That Purdue and Wisconsin were successful Big 10 programs because they had stability. Between Painter 19 years) and Ryan/Gard (22 years)...IU has had 6 coaches...And Hummel added he didn't know what IU fans really expect changing coaches as we have...

I get this is an agenda driven thread, and I even have a good idea why it started...But I think if you even want IU to be great again, you have to be behind some program stability...

If that is the case you don't go out and hire a 62 year old coach....

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

62 year old might be good for 12 years, as has been pointed out...Jim Larranaga is 74 and he's been at Miami 12 years...

While i don't disagree, Coach Woodson doesn't look like a spry 65yo man.  Might have no bearing on his ability to be on the sideline though.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan