Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

The usual suspects making the usual arguments.

I always go back to before the year. Why were our expectations high? 80% roster turnover right?

Maybe because our staff had players in the right position last year and they executed? You can't say expectations were high and subsequently say they are below the bar without admitting the staff exceeded things last year.

The 3-4 musketeers can't have it both ways. 

In terms of game. Was courtside. The charge on X was total BS. Let the one bald dude know...and almost got tossed. 

Good luck to the board gang. I've shared my thoughts with a few. This is Peegs now....and such a shame. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The usual suspects making the usual arguments.

I always go back to before the year. Why were our expectations high? 80% roster turnover right?

Maybe because our staff had players in the right position last year and they executed? You can't say expectations were high and subsequently say they are below the bar without admitting the staff exceeded things last year.

The 3-4 musketeers can't have it both ways. 

In terms of game. Was courtside. The charge on X was total BS. Let the one bald dude know...and almost got tossed. 

Good luck to the board gang. I've shared my thoughts with a few. This is Peegs now....and such a shame. 

As far as the record, this team has met my expectations, so far. I had them at 4-5 in the B1G at this point. They haven’t really upset anyone or lost a game they were expected to win (maybe MI & NEB). They haven’t been as competitive as I’d hoped, but they competed today. 
This season was determined in the offseason. They’ve had to play this style because of a lack of talent, depth and shooting ability at the guard spot. Everyone objective could see that. 
IU had conversations with Love who had 36 for AZ today. Knecht had 32 for TN. How close was IU to actually getting them? Unfortunately it appears they both made good decisions, which isn’t favorable for landing guards for next year. 
Did IU even contact DJ Davis who went to Butler? He’s been terrific for them and had 28 against Nova today. Just lots of concerns about whether this program can add the guards it needs. 

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Let's all start debating points and topics, not the person. 

This is not peegs. You, me, everybody here, plays a role in the tone of this board.

Everybody on all sides of the arguments love to throw jabs and then play the victim.

You have been here forever. You should know this is very normal when we suck.

Calling out the "musketeers" etc doesn't help.

Look, everybody here has a choice.

Complain about the tone here. Bash our sight as garbage etc.

Or help be part of the solution and let's all get back to respectfully disagreeing.

@Seeking6 , this is not a shot at you at all. Please understand.

I am using your post as a jumping off point for this message.

Personally, i am really frustrated that so many long term posters cant remember what this place is all about. It is not my job (or the job of myfellow mods), it's the communities obligation!

It has become everybody belittling those they disagree with. It's seriously become too much.

The community here should care enough to fight for this place. Not be part of the problem and tear it down.

Sorry for the rant.

Back to discussing basketball.....hopefully.

The funny part is I don't even have to look anymore who clicked like. We know the 3.

All due respect. You can't allow 40 days of bashing and ask for a Kum ba Yah moment. 

In terms of the game. We play like that down the stretch no doubt we get 20 and get in tourney.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The funny part is I don't even have to look anymore who clicked like. We know the 3.

All due respect. You can't allow 40 days of bashing and ask for a Kum ba Yah moment. 

In terms of the game. We play like that down the stretch no doubt we get 20 and get in tourney.

I don't give a rats @$$ about Kum ba Yah. 

I don't care who likes a post.

I care that people understand some people tend to be patient and supportive when we struggle. Some want to fire everybody and burn down the University. And most are somewhere in between. 

And all views are welcome to post their feelings and opinion. We are all allowed to voice our disagreement with an opposing view.

That has not changed from the day this place came into existence.

What has changed is that everybody takes everything personal. Everybody posts as a combative, "I told you so" instead of just voicing an opinion.

The bottom line is everybody hear loves IU. We are all passionate. So when it's a struggle on the court, we all act emotionally. And we all react differently.

That's OK.

The pettiness of back and forth instead of a mature debate/disagreement is the problem.

To that point, I think everybody needs to look in the mirror and quit pointing fingers.

And to be clear, I realize I am being loose with the term "everybody".

It's the proverbial vocal minorities on the extreme sides of the debate that tend to hijack everything.

I seriously am at the end of my rope and about to just walk away.

I am sorry if it is inappropriate of a mod, but I am really upset that the vast majority of the problems here are from long term, great members.

We are letting another frustrating season ruin a great community.

And that is on the members, not the moderators. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think if we took a poll, we would find those that are more accepting about where the program is (notice I did not say 'like") are older fans that remember the successes of the teams in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.   

Those that are more aggressive in expressing their displeasure don't have the same context because they became fans afterwards.  I understand both positions.  For example, my 19-year-old son is much more dissatisfied than I am.  He wants Woodson gone.  

What we, as posters, need to understand is this.

Accept that the other side has a different opinion.  Doesn't make either one right, or either one wrong.  Just different.  The 'older' crowd needs to cut the younger crowd some slack.  They don't have the Championship memories that many of us do.  Meanwhile, the 'younger' crowd needs to not be so aggressive in attacking the position of the older crowd. 

I'm unhappy with this season, but I am NOT unhappy with Mike Woodson.  He has earned the opportunity to make next year better.  It's okay to want things to be better without wanting Bruce Pearl to be head coach.  The back and forth the last few weeks seems to be a microcosm of society today.  It's got to be this or that without any thought to meet in the middle.  

I disagree Coach Woodson has earned another year.  Will he get it, yes,  because it would be a death sentence to this program to eat one of its own, especially after only 3 years.  Coach Woodson is here until he retires.  Much like coach put all his hopes on XJ leading this team, IU/Dolson did the same with Coach Woodson.  We made out bed, now we must lay in it.  

I have very little faith this program is ever going to be anymore more than a first weekend team on a consistent basis.  We have fallen so far from the above mentioned decades, that the bar for success is dang near invisible.  And honestly, it doesn't even bother me anymore.  Half the time i forget the game is on, the other half i am emotionally unfazed if we win or lose.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Woodson better kill it in the portal.  I don't think it is going to happen and we will regret not having a fresher coach.  

50 year old fan.  Put more money into football.  Basketball is a sinking ship.  

i'm definitely skeptical that we can get much more talent than we have this year.  obviously it's getting that talent level with the right fit and balance, but i'm not confident we'll do that.  if we do, maybe it helps cover the coaching deficiencies.  if we don't get better talent that fits together well, it's gonna be even worse than this season.  ugh.  

39 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm definitely skeptical that we can get much more talent than we have this year.  obviously it's getting that talent level with the right fit and balance, but i'm not confident we'll do that.  if we do, maybe it helps cover the coaching deficiencies.  if we don't get better talent that fits together well, it's gonna be even worse than this season.  ugh.  

Woodson can get the talent especially with our NIL…but he needs to look at himself in the mirror too with regard to overhauling his system. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Woodson can get the talent especially with our NIL…but he needs to look at himself in the mirror too with regard to overhauling his system. 

i agree about him being able to get the talent with our name and NIL money.  i guess i don't have a lot of faith that we can do much better strictly from a talent aspect.  Ware, Reneau, and Mtaco are 5 stars.  can we get more than three 5 stars at a time?  i hope.  to be honest i do care about stars.  of course i care even more about getting the right guys who fit together.  so we just hope that we can continue to get 5 star guys, but ones who fit together better and can shoot.  

• Like 3

On 1/27/2024 at 5:51 PM, BGleas said:

Forget not making any, its absurd that we only took 8, basically playing small ball. 

making 0, how many attempts would you happy with?

We are not a sharp shooting team where it is, if you're not hot, shoot it until you get hot.

I can't believe in the same breath we are criticizing MR for shooting and going 8-12 and wanting to shoot more of 0-8.  

On 1/27/2024 at 1:13 PM, Inequality said:

The acceptance of mediocrity from a once proud , not to mention feared blue blood program is astonishing and the exact reason the results will remain the same.

The very reason IU was a feared blue blood was because RMK would not accept a weak culture. He demanded excellence and would run you in the ground for only beating a team by 15 when he knows you could have beat them by 25. If you arrived and didn’t fit the bill, he sent you packing and didn’t shed a tear.

His demeanor radiated off of his players on the floor. Scrappy, intelligent, hard nosed fighters. 

Woodson is not the coach folks want him to be. At his age, he’s not gonna get any better. He is what he is. Give him time to recruit a superstar and give him credit all you want to. The same superstar would make the mop lady look like a good coach. Good coaches make good players. That’s why Bob Knight was so good.

There was once a time everyone wanted to be like IU. Now we have fallen so far for so long that folks are ok with just being better than the bottom half and can’t understand why it’s not ok to get stomped by Rutgers.

I don't think it's an acceptance of mediocrity. I think the expectations are different. look how much we lost last year. We expect a turnaround from that amount of turnover in 1 year? Rome wasn't built over night, and you cant build a program changing coaches every 3-4 years.

What the frustrating part is Woodson get 0 credit on this board. Our players get 0 credit on this board, no excuses. But when you talk about Tom Izzo, or someone else, the excuses fly. Who needs enemies when IU has fans like this?

Hell even your post. Even if Woodson were to recruit a damn good squad next year, he wouldn't get any credit, because the mop lady could coach that squad. 

• Like 3

I just can't believe anyone watches Kel'el Ware and Mgbako plays and actually calls them 5 stars. What is 5 stars about their games? Kel'el was 7'1 205lbs as a FR at Oregon.... 

Malik wasn't a 5 star. high 4, and he's playing like that. Showed good things as a FR, very much improved his game/body and now avg 17p 7r 3a in conference games playing 33mpg after playing 15mpg as a FR. 

MM should have been rated in the 50s/60s... Ware probably around there, as well. Maybe a little higher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

I don't think it's an acceptance of mediocrity. I think the expectations are different. look how much we lost last year. We expect a turnaround from that amount of turnover in 1 year? Rome wasn't built over night, and you cant build a program changing coaches every 3-4 years.

What the frustrating part is Woodson get 0 credit on this board. Our players get 0 credit on this board, no excuses. But when you talk about Tom Izzo, or someone else, the excuses fly. Who needs enemies when IU has fans like this?

Hell even your post. Even if Woodson were to recruit a damn good squad next year, he wouldn't get any credit, because the mop lady could coach that squad. 

The bolded just isn't accurate. 

I'll just speak for myself, but for example in the OSU MVP thread I said I would have voted Mike Woodson the MVP if I could. I also made two posts in the Post-Game thread profusely praising Woodson for the coaching job he did. 

After most games where the team has played well, I've praised Woodson. I often share twitter videos from Coach Adranga and others with some of the sets that IU has run in those games where the offense has performed well. I often share sets that have worked really well that have gotten more movement and guard/perimeter involvement, etc.

I expected a small step back this season, I did not expect to get essentially boat-raced in every big game, sans Kansas and at Illinois, that the team played. Tough to dole out a ton of credit when it's going to take a myracle to make the tournament. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

making 0, how many attempts would you happy with?

We are not a sharp shooting team where it is, if you're not hot, shoot it until you get hot.

I can't believe in the same breath we are criticizing MR for shooting and going 8-12 and wanting to shoot more of 0-8.  

I don't want to relitigate the offensive system. I think the board is extremely tired of that debate. I'll just say that we're not a terrible 3-pt shooting team. I believe we came into the game with the same 3pt% as a team as Illinois. 

I just think our offensive system is conducive to winning. Just my opinion.  

• Like 1