Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tough to dole out a ton of credit when IU not only isn't going to make the tournament, but is basically not even in consideration. 

So you've already written our obituary?

I think that is where I, and others, vehemently disagree...The games are not played on paper...Rumors of our demise are premature...

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don't want to relitigate the offensive system. I think the board is extremely tired of that debate. I'll just say that we're not a terrible 3-pt shooting team. I believe we came into the game with the same 3pt% as a team as Illinois. 

I just think our offensive system is conducive to winning. Just my opinion.  

With our personnel-- I think what we run is about what we should run. I think XJ, Cupps, TG don't complement each other well enough, couple that with Banks, MM, and Gunn being horrible off the dribble and you have the shitshow we are currently in. I am not a fan of our personnel, and how our personnel complement each other, at this time, significantly more than I am the offensive system. Again.. "at this time"... bringing in McNeely, finding portal help, and hopefully MM coming back and we could alter the style some, but the different personnel could change things quite a bit for next season. 

But-- no Ware, XJ is a basket case, MM can't create consistently, TG can't shoot (allll things Woodson is responsible for ish, I understand that) but all of that happening--- yeah, I understand why we ground and pound with Malik a lot. I get it. I don't see that we have many other options in the half court, we did get some PnR going with XJ on Saturday.... but even then, XJs style of play is never to be a threat from the 3pt line off of that.... find a Yogi skill set to run your point. I'm rambling....

IF, FFS, IF--- we could EVER rebound on the defensive end at a high clip, or offense would benefit exponentially because we could run so much more often. And running GREATLY benefits-- XJ, TG, and probably MM, and definitely Gunn/Banks when they play. Walker for sure, as well. Ware/MR getting the benefits of being the trailers in transition/secondary transition. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that is where I, and others, vehemently disagree...The games are not played on paper...Rumors of our demise are premature...

I would give us around a 5% chance of making the tournament. To just get to 20 wins we have to go 8-3 which is going to be very hard to accomplish. Even 20 wins might not he enough to get in.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good point. I should rephrase it that it's a long shot at this point. But, you're right the season isn’t over. 

We could go on a magical run this last month or in the BTT. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

With our personnel-- I think what we run is about what we should run. I think XJ, Cupps, TG don't complement each other well enough, couple that with Banks, MM, and Gunn being horrible off the dribble and you have the shitshow we are currently in. I am not a fan of our personnel, and how our personnel complement each other, at this time, significantly more than I am the offensive system. Again.. "at this time"... bringing in McNeely, finding portal help, and hopefully MM coming back and we could alter the style some, but the different personnel could change things quite a bit for next season. 

But-- no Ware, XJ is a basket case, MM can't create consistently, TG can't shoot (allll things Woodson is responsible for ish, I understand that) but all of that happening--- yeah, I understand why we ground and pound with Malik a lot. I get it. I don't see that we have many other options in the half court, we did get some PnR going with XJ on Saturday.... but even then, XJs style of play is never to be a threat from the 3pt line off of that.... find a Yogi skill set to run your point. I'm rambling....

IF, FFS, IF--- we could EVER rebound on the defensive end at a high clip, or offense would benefit exponentially because we could run so much more often. And running GREATLY benefits-- XJ, TG, and probably MM, and definitely Gunn/Banks when they play. Walker for sure, as well. Ware/MR getting the benefits of being the trailers in transition/secondary transition. 

Again, I think the board is tired of this convo. I just think there are much better ways to utilize our personnel than two bigs on the block, dump it down and everyone stand and watch. 

I think there are much better ways to utilize the strengths that our guys do have. 

• Like 2

Again, I think the board is tired of this convo. I just think there are much better ways to utilize our personnel than two bigs on the block, dump it down and everyone stand and watch. 

I think there are much better ways to utilize the strengths that our guys do have. 

Yeah, I don't agree, at all. No more than the others have developed/been scouted/and or are mental jokes. 

I haven't been involved in any of those convos, though. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seeing a new "toughness" out of Mgbako along with the growth in his game (moderate at the defensive end)...Hummel even said he sees the improvement right after Mac hit the 3 to tie it at 62...

Another thing Hummel said during the Wisconsin game...That Purdue and Wisconsin were successful Big 10 programs because they had stability. Between Painter 19 years) and Ryan/Gard (22 years)...IU has had 6 coaches...And Hummel added he didn't know what IU fans really expect changing coaches as we have...

I get this is an agenda driven thread, and I even have a good idea why it started...But I think if you even want IU to be great again, you have to be behind some program stability...

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, I don't agree, at all. No more than the others have developed/been scouted/and or are mental jokes. 

I haven't been involved in any of those convos, though. 

Yeah, we just disagree on this. I'll PM you later. I dont think the board wants another dissertation on why this offensive system isn't good, at least not from me. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seeing a new "toughness" out of Mgbako along with the growth in his game (moderate at the defensive end)...Hummel even said he sees the improvement right after Mac hit the 3 to tie it at 62...

Another thing Hummel said during the Wisconsin game...That Purdue and Wisconsin were successful Big 10 programs because they had stability. Between Painter 19 years) and Ryan/Gard (22 years)...IU has had 6 coaches...And Hummel added he didn't know what IU fans really expect changing coaches as we have...

I get this is an agenda driven thread, and I even have a good idea why it started...But I think if you even want IU to be great again, you have to be behind some program stability...

I do think MM has played.... better, recently. But what he lacks is what we REALLY need him to be able to do. Unfortunate. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

No formula but my first thought our chances of missing the tournament is like 99.999999%

Wait...If we have a 5% chance of making it, and a 99.999999% chance of NOT making it, aren't we breaking new ground in math here? ;) 

I'm just messin' @IU Scott...I understand where we're at...But I also understand I've seen plenty of teams buck the odds...You have too

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I do think MM has played.... better, recently. But what he lacks is what we REALLY need him to be able to do. Unfortunate. 

I know you and I have had this conversation, and I agree...But while we're waiting for that part of his game to develop, getting tough rebounds and making tough interior shots, along with showing he's not afraid of the moment like he did Saturday, will suffice in my book for now...

Yeah, we just disagree on this. I'll PM you later. I dont think the board wants another dissertation on why this offensive system isn't good, at least not from me. 

To me any offense where 3 or more players just stand around is not a good offense. I just don't like an offense where you just put a guy in the post and try to feed him the ball. I don't mind post play but move that post around and bring him to the ball side off of back pick. His mentor never just posted players and very rarely played through the post. For some reason I figured Woodson would be more of a offensive minded coach.  As a player he was a scorer and got most of his shots coming off numerous screens

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wait...If we have a 5% chance of making it, and a 99.999999% chance of NOT making it, aren't we breaking new ground in math here? ;) 

I'm just messin' @IU Scott...I understand where we're at...But I also understand I've seen plenty of teams buck the odds...You have too

The 99.999 was my first thought but I didn't want to sound to negative. Also those teams I think of that buck the odds started the turn around a lot earlier 

What i would like to see our offense do more.  Is having our 1-3 moving to rub off screen, cross court cutting.  Moving moving moving.  Its not hard to defense us if you never have to run through screens or switch on off the bigs/guards.  We just pass it in and everyone stands around waiting for a possible kick out.  What happened to motion in the offense.  TG, Cups, X and Mbako can all be constantly moving to get a pass for an easy bucket.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

100% agree with the importance of stability. I posted last week about how many culture shifts this program has gone through and it's crazy. I'm not in the "Woodson needs to go" camp, I'm in the "Woodson needs to grow" camp. The problem is, does he have time to do that? If he was 10-15 years younger, I don't think this thread exists (or at least it would have a different focus). With IU, Woody doesn't have 15 more years left in him and there is currently not a Gard to take of the reigns to maintain any stability that he establishes.

• Like 5

Just now, HoosierDPU95 said:

100% agree with the importance of stability. I posted last week about how many culture shifts this program has gone through and it's crazy. I'm not in the "Woodson needs to go" camp, I'm in the "Woodson needs to grow" camp. The problem is, does he have time to do that? If he was 10-15 years younger, I don't think this thread exists (or at least it would have a different focus). With IU, Woody doesn't have 15 more years left in him and there is currently not a Gard to take of the reigns to maintain any stability that he establishes.

How many years do you honestly think he has left?  5-7?

You cannot win on a consistent basis shooting as poorly from 3pt and FT as this team does. Can they get hot for a game and win one they shouldn't of course and would I be surprised heck no. To do things they have not done all year up to this point is unrealistic. They are what the record says they are a poor shooting team with no real leadership. Some good to outstanding at times post play. At times a good defensive team but for the majority of the time a poor perimeter defense. A much improved MM but outside of he and MR who is any better today then they were 3 months ago. The 8th poorest 3pt shooting team in the country is not going to make the tournament in this day and age of basketball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I understand...And I do think he has time to get us squared away...I haven't put this season in the crapper yet...

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

How many years do you honestly think he has left?  5-7?

There are currently 5 coaches older than 70, with the oldest being 76.

At least 3 of them, Pitino, Leonard Hamilton, and Larranaga, are with P6 programs. If he wants to coach that long, no reason CMW can't coach another 7-8 years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Really only he could say, but I couldn't see him sticking it out for more than 5 more years. 

he is 65.  I could see him going say 7  more years, if he things start getting better.  I don't know if he would want to stay around if say the next 3 years are similar to this year (Not saying they will be, just a hypo)