Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

16 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Woodson’s seat is warming faster than many thought it would a few weeks ago. 

Can you elaborate at all?  I don’t mean that in a jerkish way, I’m truly curious because I think you’re one of the guys who does hear things and I respect your opinion and info you share. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Jay Wright isn’t going to come out of retirement. It’s just not happening. 

I don't blame him.  Why would he.  He's probably making 2 mil a year now basically on vacation.  And he's likely already made about 50 million.  Don't know his family situation or legacy goals.  100 million is a lot of money.  

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Brad Stevens was never coming to IU. I talked to someone in the Celtics organization the summer right after Woodson was hired. 

Admittedly, I didn't directly ask about Stevens and IU but I asked my guy if they thought Stevens would ever come back to the college game. 

It was an emphatic and very quick "no", and immediately followed that up by saying Stevens has no interest in recruiting again. 

I would counter a Brad Stevens or Jay Wright wouldn't have to recruit at IU.   Let Hulls and Walsh do the ground work.  Let the bag man do bag man things.  Wright just needs to put those rings on his fingers when the recruits show up to campus to chat.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't blame him.  Why would he.  He's probably making 2 mil a year now basically on vacation.  And he's likely already made about 50 million.  Don't know his family situation or legacy goals.  100 million is a lot of money.  

Not just the money. He's been to the top twice. He doesn't have anything to prove. 

37 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Understand and respect what you’re saying but that wasn’t my point. My point was that just because someone says something and feels a certain way in the past doesn’t mean that the right timing and opportunity can change a perspective. Saban drew a clear line in the sand with that comment but it didn’t prevent the Bama AD from shooting for the stars and being relentless with what he wanted. That attitude and mentality resulted in landing the best college football coach of all time. 

Also, not sure why you’re dismissing the idea that we wouldn’t try with Jay Wright when multiple people have said Dolson was in talks with Brad Stevens and his wife about making him the highest paid CBB coach. 

I am saying I believe what Jay Wright said. He can't stand what the college basketball has become and don't want to deal with it.

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not just the money. He's been to the top twice. He doesn't have anything to prove. 

Figure out how to poke his ego then.  Someone has to take this historic dumpster fire program and rise like a Phoenix out of the ashes.  

It really shouldn't be that hard.  Tom Crean had us at #1 10 years ago.  Tom Crean ladies and gentlemen.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am saying I believe what Jay Wright said. He can't stand what the college basketball has become and don't want to deal with it.

But he's perfectly fine still watching a crap ton of games and knowing tons of details about it and making a handsome coin to sit and talk about it all weekend.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I understand it’s a slim to none chance, I prefaced that with my wish list lol. It’s not like he’s the only guy I think could win big or quickly here…

My point with Saban is that he said one thing and evidently did another. Dolson at least picking up the phone and calling Stevens shows me he’s at least willing to shoot for the stars and doesn’t shy away from being rejected, which is what a smart AD should do. Imagine how silly the Bama AD would look nowadays if he took that info and accepted it and watched Saban end up at another SEC and compete for national titles every year. 

I actually don't believe the Stevens thing went as far as people say. It was some message board rumors by guys who think they are insiders.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

But he's perfectly fine still watching a crap ton of games and knowing tons of details about it and making a handsome coin to sit and talk about it all weekend.  

It is different watching it compared to having to kiss teenagers butts.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It is different watching it compared to having to kiss teenagers butts.

If our NIL is as solid as reported then like I said, Copy and paste.  Let the bag man do bag man things.  Wright just needs to put those rings on his fingers when the recruits show up to campus to chat.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually don't believe the Stevens thing went as far as people say. It was some message board rumors by guys who think they are insiders.

Thats why we ended up with Archie Miller and now Mike Woodson. Its Because this school doesn't want another Bob Knight, a coach bigger than life. A school known by who the coach is, not the school. We must face we are who we are. Until the Big donors all dry up, this is it folks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

If our NIL is as solid as reported then like I said, Copy and paste.  Let the bag man do bag man things.  Wright just needs to put those rings on his fingers when the recruits show up to campus to chat.  

I am saying these coaches who has retired lately don't believe in the NIL or how the portal is ruining the college game

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am saying these coaches who has retired lately don't believe in the NIL or how the portal is ruining the college game

Is it more tainted than shoe boxes of cash, jobs for parents, houses and cars?  Jewelry for the dookies.

They can spare me the tears.  The portal isn't going to be nearly as crazy after the covid super seniors are gone.  Unless this unlimited transfer thing really does take effect.  But again,  the portal should be about roster tweaking, not total rebuilds, though it can be used for that in a pinch.  

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Thats why we ended up with Archie Miller and now Mike Woodson. Its Because this school doesn't want another Bob Knight, a coach bigger than life. A school known by who the coach is, not the school. We must face we are who we are. Until the Big donors all dry up, this is it folks.

The culture today at IU and in Bloomington is vastly different than it was pre-2000.  

Jay Wright, "“I think we are gonna go through a couple of years where it feels crazy because of the combination of NIL and the transfer portal,” Wright said. “It’s gonna stay crazy compared to what they were. But I think we’re going to see some benefits to all of that. We’re seeing all these guys staying in college now. You’ve got four things as a player: make money, mature as a person, mature as a player and get an education. There’s positive sides."I do think college basketball is going (to) get better because players stay longer. Therefore, the NBA guys are going to know they can get more finished products and it’s gonna make the NBA a lot better.” 

Doesn't really sound like he's trashing the scene.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2022/05/17/jay-wright-villanova-transfer-rule-nil/9794688002/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Some of the major boosters are getting very frustrated by the way things are being done within the program. Not saying that will be the deciding factor but it is usually a big first step in coaching changes happening other than on court results of course. 

Would he ever consider a peaceful early retirement for the good of the program?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Some of the major boosters are getting very frustrated by the way things are being done within the program. Not saying that will be the deciding factor but it is usually a big first step in coaching changes happening other than on court results of course. 

So then, why not wait and see how the season plays out? If they go on a winning streak, this all will be premature.

And if they are that dissatisfied, they sure as hell better have a replacement lined up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Not true. 7 years and 70 million was 100% on the table. Stevens considered it. He had his family vote on it and his wife and kids were against the move. He was out voted and told IU no. That’s what happened and it wasn’t just message board speculation 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So then, why not wait and see how the season plays out? If they go on a winning streak, this all will be premature.

And if they are that dissatisfied, they sure as hell better have a replacement lined up.

It’s just how things go. I’m not saying Woodson will be on the way out I’m just saying that certain people are getting more frustrated by the way things are being done around the program.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Not true. 7 years and 70 million was 100% on the table. Stevens considered it. He had his family vote on it and his wife and kids were against the move. He was out voted and told IU no. That’s what happened and it wasn’t just message board speculation 

I just don't believe that actually happened. Understand that there's a Boston side and an IU side to this story. 

But people directly inside the Celtics org laugh at the notion of Stevens going back to college coaching. 

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

As I said…. It’s not like he has a vision going forward. From this week on… It’s all question marks.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just don't believe that actually happened. Understand that there's a Boston side and an IU side to this story. 

But people directly inside the Celtics org laugh at the notion of Stevens going back to college coaching. 

I’ve heard the same thing, same numbers, from someone else.  Was told a big chunk of it would have come from a donor and IU thought they had him.