Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

If you were Dolson you wouldn't even try based on your own standards.  I'd literally try every single guy that's a head nba coach right now.  But we are all entitled to our own opinions and ideas.  

I'd also throw 100 million at Jay Wright before anyone else.  

If I were Scott Dolson I would have called Chris Beard yesterday and had this entire thing over with. No need to get laughed at by Kerr or Spolstra. He'd leave Ole Miss mid-season and skip the tournament if offered this job. Very seldom are there no-brainer candidates available. This is one of those times. 

• Like 2

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

We went 3-15 in the B10 and finished dead last in year 3. That isn't progress by any stretch of imagination. We lost our last 9 games of the season. The team absolutely quit. Massive red flags. 

I get what you're saying, and don't even disagree there were some red flags, but we did make progress.

We went from a negative scoring margin, by 5 points per game, to a positive scoring margin, by 1.5 points per game. We jumped 100 spots in KenPom.

Given what Crean walked into and the fact that we did make some major progress, I think it was right to give him more time.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

If I were Scott Dolson I would have called Chris Beard yesterday and had this entire thing over with. No need to get laughed at by Kerr or Spolstra. He'd leave Ole Miss mid-season and skip the tournament if offered this job. Very seldom are there no-brainer candidates available. This is one of those times. 

If you were given the green light to offer Wright 100 mil, you'd go Beard over Wright?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I get what you're saying, and don't even disagree there were some red flags, but we did make progress.

We went from a negative scoring margin, by 5 points per game, to a positive scoring margin, by 1.5 points per game. We jumped 100 spots in KenPom.

Given what Crean walked into and the fact that we did make some major progress, I think it was right to give him more time.

Of course it was, the results show that. We had a pretty fair 6 year run after that. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

We went 3-15 in the B10 and finished dead last in year 3. That isn't progress by any stretch of imagination. We lost our last 9 games of the season. The team absolutely quit. Massive red flags. 

A few years later Matt Painter went 5-13 in the B10, finishing dead last, and losing 12 of his last 14 games, BTT included. Red flag, right? Fireable offense?

To bring this around to Mike Woodson, coaches need to be allowed to fail. Even at Indiana. Seasons like this aren't much fun, but it's how you adapt and work to fix the problems that matter. Painter has been open about he changes he made, both in recruiting and in coaching, in response to those lean years. Can Woodson do the same? That's what matters, more than one season where the roster didn't come together the way you envisioned in the offseason. I want to see what happens next, now that Woodson knows he needs to adjust, and that story hasn't been written. I have no interest in firing Mike Woodson, or entertaining the thought, until then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

If you were given the green light to offer Wright 100 mil, you'd go Beard over Wright?

Jay Wright isn't coaching college basketball ever again so it wouldn't matter what kind of money I had. 

Chris Beard is the perfect candidate job if IU is ever serious about winning again. I'm not going to hold me breath though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't think any of this matters because I don't think Wright is coming out of retirement and I don't think IU will go after Beard. 

That said, the grand slam hire (aka the brad stevens/Billy Donovan pipe dream) this go round would have to be Wright. He's the whole package. 

Edited by tdhoosier

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Jay Wright isn't coaching college basketball ever again so it wouldn't matter what kind of money I had. 

Chris Beard is the perfect candidate job if IU is ever serious about winning again. I'm not going to hold me breath though.

Is the IUScotts burner account?  Confusing me with the matter of fact Wright statements and the Beard love.  Beard is a non starter for him though.  

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I don't think any of this matters because I don't think Wright is coming out of retirement and I don't think IU will go after Beard. 

That said, the grand slam hire (aka the brad stevens/Billy Donovan hire) this go round would have to be Wright. He's the whole package. 

Screw it.  Literally allow him to name all the terms.  150, 10 years, fully guaranteed.  If he hated college basketball's bloody guts as much as some guys assume, make him prove it with a forever no to that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Woodson was "too old" (63) when he took the job and it has been framed as "a retirement gig" for him. So we go after a guy over 60 that is actually retired?

With the rings, the moxie, and a proven system.  Every single day until his maybe 68th birthday.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Is the IUScotts burner account?  Confusing me with the matter of fact Wright statements and the Beard love.  Beard is a non starter for him though.  

IUScott has accused me a of being Dan Dakich on BTownBanners. IUScott is a person that I don't want to be associated with.

But Jay Wright isn't coming out of retirement, let alone to come coach IU.

3 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Woodson was "too old" (63) when he took the job and it has been framed as "a retirement gig" for him. So we go after a guy over 60 that is actually retired?

63 isn't "old". But when you waltz into a job and do it half-assed like Woodson has, your age is always going to get shoved in your face.

Bruce Pearl is 63 and acts like he's 33. But he also likes to recruit, show his face, etc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Screw it.  Literally allow him to name all the terms.  150, 10 years, fully guaranteed.  If he hated college basketball's bloody guts as much as some guys assume, make him prove it with a forever no to that.  

He literally walked away from a gold mine at Villanova. Had the best program in the country and was on an absolute roll. 

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

63 isn't "old". But when you waltz into a job and do it half-assed like Woodson has, your age is always going to get shoved in your face.

Bruce Pearl is 63 and acts like he's 33. But he also likes to recruit, show his face, etc. 

No it isn't old but plenty of people brought up his age before he even coached a game. 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Does Jay Wright want to be a hall of fame or a legend?  IU has vastly more resources than Villinova, tha k you B1G media rights and rich basketball fans as donors.  

Here's how to crack the legends list.  Win 2 or 3 more at IU.  

Screenshot_20240205_135645_Chrome.jpg

Jay Wright doesn't need to prove a damn thing. 

11 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He literally walked away from a gold mine at Villanova. Had the best program in the country and was on an absolute roll. 

He had his reasons.  I'm not sold that his ego couldn't be stoked into flame again.  Nothing he has said or done has been that damning of the college game like 2 or 3 have claimed.  Posted a bunch of quotes and a lengthy article as much yesterday.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

He had his reasons.  I'm not sold that his ego couldn't be stoked into flame again.  Nothing he has said or done has been that damning of the college game like 2 or 3 have claimed.  Posted a bunch of quotes and a lengthy article as much yesterday.  

He walked away from the pinnacle of college basketball. Actions speak way louder than words.