Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Where do you think Queen is leaning?

image.thumb.png.0be16cadd07bfdfd44c60002594f93e2.png

image.thumb.png.b77c42ffc6089a5c7d1df50b18834c27.png

Last update I saw had us in the lead, but it’s been pretty quiet lately.

He seems like a great player, but imo we need guards to fix our issues. DQ would be a good piece to build for the future, not necessarily next year.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Well I certainly don't want Malik playing anywhere but IU, so guess no PQ for us. Great initials though lol PQ

I mean I agree with you on that. Reneau, Mgbako, McNeeley, Galloway, portal PG with Cupps, a portal wing or two, and Sparks playing 7 minutes per game when Malik sits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

Saying that Beard shouldn't be considered doesn't mean one isn't serious about winning. Especially considering there are a variety of other strong potential candidates out there.

So I don't really know the answer to this, and it isn't something I have wrestled with a ton because we don't have an opening and I haven't spent much mental energy on a potential replacement at this point.

Beard's charges were dropped - another state flagship university hired him.

Charges being dropped does not make him innocent, and in DV situations charges get dropped a lot because the victim isn't willing to cooperate.

Does "merely" getting charged with something that was later dropped mean he shouldn't get a job coaching again?

If the answer to the above is "no", but you don't think he should coach IU... why shouldn't he got a job at IU if he should be able to get a job somewhere?

I don't really know the answer to all of those, but I think they're reasonable questions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Got a response to my e mail

Thank you for your follow-up Scott after the Penn State game. Your thoughts on the present and future of the program have very much been heard.

"Now stop writing me and stay off my lawn!!" ....Scott Dolson.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

“Quinn Buckner was the man in charge of hiring Woodson; it was not AD Scott Dolson, and that’s an issue as Buckner and Woodson are longtime friends.”

How true is that? Did Dolson not get much of a say? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

“Quinn Buckner was the man in charge of hiring Woodson; it was not AD Scott Dolson, and that’s an issue as Buckner and Woodson are longtime friends.”

This is what is being put out there. I'm sure part is true, part not.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:05 AM, DC2345 said:

I think I've figured out what Woodson is doing. This is just my best guess but I could see him waiting to watch some of the 2025 guys in either the IHSAA tournament or in the recruiting cycle's this spring/summer when he knows approximately how many 2025 guys he will need. He knows he needs to win so he's going to hit the portal hard to get proven/talented players from the portal. That's his only shot at getting this turned around next year. Guys like McNeeley and Queen (if he commits to IU) will help but they won't be enough and proven talent is what can make things change quickly. I don't know if he can pull it off but time will tell. Matta seems to have somewhat done it at Butler so we'll see if Woodson can change things via the portal at IU in 1 offseason. 

And, regarding Matta, I have watched some Butler games this year and his energy/persona/leadership during games seems radically better than Woodson.  I wish he was at IU

4 minutes ago, John S said:

And, regarding Matta, I have watched some Butler games this year and his energy/persona/leadership during games seems radically better than Woodson.  I wish he was at IU

Oh no you don't. Matta was at Big Red liquor on the north end every day at 1230pm. leaving with a bottle. major red flags there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

So I don't really know the answer to this, and it isn't something I have wrestled with a ton because we don't have an opening and I haven't spent much mental energy on a potential replacement at this point.

Beard's charges were dropped - another state flagship university hired him.

Charges being dropped does not make him innocent, and in DV situations charges get dropped a lot because the victim isn't willing to cooperate.

Does "merely" getting charged with something that was later dropped mean he shouldn't get a job coaching again?

If the answer to the above is "no", but you don't think he should coach IU... why shouldn't he got a job at IU if he should be able to get a job somewhere?

I don't really know the answer to all of those, but I think they're reasonable questions. 

Agreed, it's a tough situation. I don't know where I come down on it myself, other than that that baggage certainly doesn't make him a "perfect" candidate.  

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

No it isn't old but plenty of people brought up his age before he even coached a game. 

Regarding age,  I wouldn't go after these "proven" big name guys (Wright, Beard, et al) who have already achieved enough success and command huge $$$$.  Makes more sense to get somebody still young enough and driven to create a legacy, and be able to stay at IU a long time if he delivers winning basketball.  At the same time, IU would be able to start the guy at a lower salary.  Let's concentrate at somebody in their 40's.  examples are TJ Oltzenberger at Iowa ST and Shaka Smart at Marquette.  Probable several others in that age group who would be good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Agreed, ita tough situation. I don't know where I come down on it myself, other than that baggage certainly doesn't make him a "perfect" candidate.  

Yes, I agree with that. I am honestly glad I don’t have to make that decision. 

42 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Back then I heard Buckners choice was Woodson. Dolson had no idea of Woodson and that was not his first choice. This came from a couple members of the football staff that a family member runs around with.

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Back then I heard Buckners choice was Woodson. Dolson had no idea of Woodson and that want his first choice. This came from a couple members of the football staff that a family member runs around with.

My gut says we made a swing at Stevens, regardless of how real his interest was or wasn’t, and when that didn’t work out this was Plan B. There were other names that I think we could have had that we never even explored. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

My gut says we made a swing at Stevens, regardless of how real his interest was or wasn’t, and when that didn’t work out this was Plan B. There were other names that I think we could have had that we never even explored. 

Sorry for the tangent, but that was my exact assessment of the Archie hire. All the Billy Donovan noise was because we swung for him and when he said no the up and coming mid major guy who wouldn’t say no was plan B.