Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Thats why we ended up with Archie Miller and now Mike Woodson. Its Because this school doesn't want another Bob Knight, a coach bigger than life. A school known by who the coach is, not the school. We must face we are who we are. Until the Big donors all dry up, this is it folks.

Do you know that as a fact, or is this just your opinion? If the latter, please state that 

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Figure out how to poke his ego then.  Someone has to take this historic dumpster fire program and rise like a Phoenix out of the ashes.  

It really shouldn't be that hard.  Tom Crean had us at #1 10 years ago.  Tom Crean ladies and gentlemen.  

Thank you!

Not saying by any stretch of the imagination the next coach HAS to be Jay Wright in order for us to be successful. Plenty of good coaches out there and 68 teams make the tourney each year. 

Im more than happy to admit I’m one of the more pessimistic IU fans but I still have hope we can land a good coach. Why? Look at all these basic facts. We are near the top in revenue, spending, social media presence, fan game attendance, tv viewership, etc. We have more than enough for a coach to succeed here. To me it boils down to Dolson and presenting such leverage in a passionate and exciting fashion to these coaches and their agents. 

F2ACDA5C-4643-48FF-B919-8770798D8966.png

204B2716-5B1F-4A2E-94DF-C92832CD4F4A.png

0613797F-9550-4903-AD59-B51F1B0C44CF.png

101CF470-E921-45B0-9575-2DDCD867C4A3.png

8A257EDE-F1A2-4FBD-90A4-2048855FF8DF.png

048660D9-FC58-461B-BF6F-03BE978C8D42.png

3877BEBB-EDCD-46EB-88A8-0ECF357CEEAC.png

9 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

I’ve heard the same thing, same numbers, from someone else.  Was told a big chunk of it would have come from a donor and IU thought they had him.

I'm sure some people around the program maybe thought they had a chance. I don't doubt that part of it. 

But, he wasn't coming. He doesn't want to come back to college. I spoke directly to a high ranking person in the Celtics org, and he laughed at the idea of Stevens coming back to college. 

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

But he's perfectly fine still watching a crap ton of games and knowing tons of details about it and making a handsome coin to sit and talk about it all weekend.  

If he can make a good amount that supports his lifestyle he would be an idiot to get back into coaching. 
College coaching has now become…

-Season and recruiting 

-Season ends and have to re recruit your team so they don’t enter the portal 

-Recruiting the portal and managing NIL

-Fall practice starts 

There is literally no down time for a college coach 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If he can make a good amount that supports his lifestyle he would be an idiot to get back into coaching. 
College coaching has now become…

-Season and recruiting 

-Season ends and have to re recruit your team so they don’t enter the portal 

-Recruiting the portal and managing NIL

-Fall practice starts 

There is literally no down time for a college coach 

Other than the paycheck, I don't know why anyone would want to be a high or even mid-major college coach. 

Honestly, outside the paycheck it sounds horrible. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm sure some people around the program maybe thought they had a chance. I don't doubt that part of it. 

But, he wasn't coming. He doesn't want to come back to college. I spoke directly to a high ranking person in the Celtics org, and he laughed at the idea of Stevens coming back to college. 

I understand what they told you.  None of us are Brad Stevens so we don’t know what he was thinking.  It’s certainly possible he threw a number out that he thought IU couldn’t meet just to play games, and IU met it.  I tend to doubt that, though.

Just now, BGleas said:

Other than the paycheck, I don't know why anyone would want to be a high or even mid-major college coach. 

Honestly, outside the paycheck it sounds horrible. 

Probably why we see more and more older coaches getting out of the business. I will say we see Izzo stepping away in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Just now, IUJoe said:

I understand what they told you.  None of us are Brad Stevens so we don’t know what he was thinking.  It’s certainly possible he threw a number out that he thought IU couldn’t meet just to play games, and IU met it.  I tend to doubt that, though.

Right, but these people know Brad Stevens and are with him daily. They've had conversations with him about this, and would be speaking with him driectly about these things. 

I believe IU people thought they maybe had a chance. I don't for a second believe there was some vote and Stevens wanted to come back to college. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Right, but these people know Brad Stevens and are with him daily. They've had conversations with him about this, and would be speaking with him driectly about these things. 

I believe IU people thought they maybe had a chance. I don't for a second believe there was some vote and Stevens wanted to come back to college. 

I wasn’t told anything about a family vote.  What I was told was obviously from the IU side.  But if the detail of what was shared with me was just Stevens playing games with IU, I certainly hope IU isn’t dumb enough to still have his phone number.

I heard Chris Denari is interviewed on the radio and he knew Brad from his days at Butler. Denari and Stevens both were on an NBA trip over seas and Denari was talking to Brad and his wife. Both of them said they hav no desire to go back to the college coaching life style. In college even when Brad was at home he still was in the first home with recruits or players family. They just didn't have much family time in college. In the NBA he has more time for family stuff even during the season 

34 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Thank you!

Not saying by any stretch of the imagination the next coach HAS to be Jay Wright in order for us to be successful. Plenty of good coaches out there and 68 teams make the tourney each year. 

Im more than happy to admit I’m one of the more pessimistic IU fans but I still have hope we can land a good coach. Why? Look at all these basic facts. We are near the top in revenue, spending, social media presence, fan game attendance, tv viewership, etc. We have more than enough for a coach to succeed here. To me it boils down to Dolson and presenting such leverage in a passionate and exciting fashion to these coaches and their agents. 

F2ACDA5C-4643-48FF-B919-8770798D8966.png

204B2716-5B1F-4A2E-94DF-C92832CD4F4A.png

0613797F-9550-4903-AD59-B51F1B0C44CF.png

101CF470-E921-45B0-9575-2DDCD867C4A3.png

8A257EDE-F1A2-4FBD-90A4-2048855FF8DF.png

048660D9-FC58-461B-BF6F-03BE978C8D42.png

3877BEBB-EDCD-46EB-88A8-0ECF357CEEAC.png

If any of this mattered don't you think IU would have already landed one of these top coaches everyone wants?

That's assuming IU has even considered any of them. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I heard Chris Denari is interviewed on the radio and he knew Brad from his days at Butler. Denari and Stevens both were on an NBA trip over seas and Denari was talking to Brad and his wife. Both of them said they hav no desire to go back to the college coaching life style. In college even when Brad was at home he still was in the first home with recruits or players family. They just didn't have much family time in college. In the NBA he has more time for family stuff even during the season 

I get that.  But if an NBA team was paying you $5-6 million, would you say in an interview, “I would consider coaching at Indiana if they offer enough?”  I personally don’t put much stock in the answers to those types of questions.  The bottom line is, if Stevens really had absolutely no intention of taking IU’s job, he was playing IU big time.  And maybe he was.

5 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

I get that.  But if an NBA team was paying you $5-6 million, would you say in an interview, “I would consider coaching at Indiana if they offer enough?”  I personally don’t put much stock in the answers to those types of questions.  The bottom line is, if Stevens really had absolutely no intention of taking IU’s job, he was playing IU big time.  And maybe he was.

Something clearly happened because he parlayed an 8 year coaching stint into president of basketball operations for the Boston Celtics.  He had to have been holding all the chips in his hands.  

7 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

How did he play IU, he had no interest in the job. 

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

If any of this mattered don't you think IU would have already landed one of these top coaches everyone wants?

That's assuming IU has even considered any of them. 

Great question that unfortunately only Dolson and Glass can answer lol. Obviously I don’t know what they say during these phone calls/zoom meetings. Have no idea if any of these things I pointed out as leverage are utilized or Dolson just spends the pitch talking about his time during the Knight era and trying to recreate greatness.

Truthfully, it could be as simple as these coaches/agents didn’t like Dolsons personality/vision and didn’t feel he was someone they wanted to build a relationship with for 7-10+ years.

I don’t know what it would take to get a good coach here but I know there’s good coaches out there doing more with less at their respective school. 

• Like 3

Everytime we get a coach you can repo that they believe they can win at any level here including a national title.

Archie’s brother even said “don’t leave Dayton unless it a program that can enable you to win it all.”

IU has that ability. Who we can land idk. But anyone we do isn’t coming here feeling they have to win a title they’re here because they believe they can do it.

They all have egos the size of a semi. They all want to be the guy to fixes this program.

Thats because it DOES have the things they’d need to do it.

Why haven’t we landed a big name? Well often there’s not a big name available when we need one. 🤷🏻‍♂️ lateral moves don’t make sense so you end with a pool of 1-2 guys even POSSIBLE. Small pool.

I also have questioned if we’d spend the top end money in the past. But I don’t have that fear AS much (still there some).

outside of that I’m not sure 

• Like 3

On 2/3/2024 at 8:44 PM, Seeking6 said:

84-85

85-86

03-04

04-05

05-06

08-09

09-10

10-11

16-17

17-18

18-19

19-20

20-21

These years alone are infinitely worse vs this year. In staying with board rules I won't attack the poster but the comment. This year is no way worse. Now I will say one thing that is a common denominator post Knight. If somebody is say approaching 40 years old. 11 of the worst IU basketball seasons of all time have been in the last 22...or roughly the age somebody graduated from IU. Food for thought.

Lol.

This might not be statistically the worst season ever (it isn’t), but easily the most disappointing, unenjoyable season in my 52 years. Watching IU basketball is like a chore. There’s nothing redeeming about this years team or anybody on it. When Anthony Leal coming off the bench to beat a 12-9 Iowa team at home is likely the highlight of the season, you know its bad.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Lol.

This might not be statistical the worst season ever (it isn’t), but easily the most disappointing, unenjoyable season in my 52 years. Watching IU basketball is like a chore. There’s nothing redeeming about this years team or anybody on it. When Anthony Leal coming off the bench to beat a 12-9 Iowa team at home is likely the highlight of the season, you know its bad.

We have way too much talent to be where we are at right now. When factoring in poor roster construction 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Lol.

This might not be statistical the worst season ever (it isn’t), but easily the most disappointing, unenjoyable season in my 52 years. Watching IU basketball is like a chore. There’s nothing redeeming about this years team or anybody on it. When Anthony Leal coming off the bench to beat a 12-9 Iowa team at home is likely the highlight of the season, you know its bad.

I’ve fallen asleep mid-game multiple times and missed others altogether.  For someone like me, this is unheard of.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

We have way too much talent to be where we are at right now. When factoring in poor roster construction 

I keep reading "we have way too much talent..." and also "we have the worst backcourt in the Big Ten". So it's one or the other.

Edited by HoosierDPU95