Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think it's going to move even more in that direction. 

Adam Silver was saying earlier this week that with NIL the G-League Ignite thing is basically failing and they're exploring what to do with that. 

He said they're talking with the NCAA on how to improve l things, etc.  

I could see the Power 5/6 at some point breaking away from the NCAA and becoming part of some sort of true NBA-affiliated feeder system.  

I can see that…maybe even some sort ofsystem where you draft kids out of high school or a college kid but instead of going to g league etc allow them to stay in college and you have their draft rights and they get to play college ball and get coaching and maybe play summer league with the nba team but could easily see nba teams perhaps affiliating with certain college teams and then feeding kids to their system.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Mgbako just recently had discussions with the staff about coming back so anyone saying he’s gone 100% gone at this point doesn’t know what they are talking about. 

that is very good to hear.  i definitely never had any inside info.  i just assumed if he wasn't able to go into the draft that he'd want to try in a different system.  sure hope he doesn't do either.  would love to have him and Liam together.  

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

that is very good to hear.  i definitely never had any inside info.  i just assumed if he wasn't able to go into the draft that he'd want to try in a different system.  sure hope he doesn't do either.  would love to have him and Liam together.  

If you play four out and one in, Reneau, MM and McNeely is a good start. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Indykev said:

NBA is so different than college basketball…it’s even bigger than HS to college. Not only the play style and game itself but from the staff, the professionalism, playing for your job, the support staff, and then the skill level is just a huge difference. There isn’t a single college basketball player that is a finished product, a leader, or has the drive of a Kobe, Lebron, MJ etc so to think you can coach these kids the same way…doesn’t work. It’s a huge difference….oh and you can’t just go trade a guy that isn’t working out or help you “get over the hump”…sorry no evidence that these nba guys will work out at this level.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Absur-Rahim has been really good in year one at USF. One of the majors will throw a boatload of cash at him

Florida schools have such a great opportunity to recruit and NIL rules in the state are very advantageous…no income taxes etc. UCF, USF, UF, FSU, Miami…yes even FAU….lots of opportunities for success down here.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

NBA is so different than college basketball…it’s even bigger than HS to college. Not only the play style and game itself but from the staff, the professionalism, playing for your job, the support staff, and then the skill level is just a huge difference. There isn’t a single college basketball player that is a finished product, a leader, or has the drive of a Kobe, Lebron, MJ etc so to think you can coach these kids the same way…doesn’t work. It’s a huge difference….oh and you can’t just go trade a guy that isn’t working out or help you “get over the hump”…sorry no evidence that these nba guys will work out at this level.

Not to mention, 2am phone calls from the police station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Mgbako just recently had discussions with the staff about coming back so anyone saying he’s gone 100% gone at this point doesn’t know what they are talking about. 

A nice freshman to soph jump would be great. What’s the conversations happening about a top end PG and SG? NIL money needs to be on point this offseason. 

• Like 1

ok it's time to fire Coach Woodson, he is an absolute terrible coach, great guy but bad coach. His teams play with no fire, sense of urgency, discipline, value of the ball or comprehension of the fundamentals of basketball.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know good basketball when I see it , but never coached it. So I’m not going to say Woodson is a bad coach. I will say we have some strong players that I hope we keep. We do how ever need to win some big time players in the Portal this off season. 
Need shooters everyone can see that not just one a couple great shooters. Ball players that can handle the ball an not turn it over! 
Also Woodson needs to look at his staff. He needs help running his practices to teach basketball and fundamentals. Bring in a staff that can help players develop. 

3 minutes ago, John S said:

and, he isnt the only one who has outcoached woody this year, for sure.

Woody hasn’t missed a free throw all year or an open three pointer. He is responsible for poor team fundamentals. We don’t have smart basketball players! That to is on Woody

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I know good basketball when I see it , but never coached it. So I’m not going to say Woodson is a bad coach. I will say we have some strong players that I hope we keep. We do how ever need to win some big time players in the Portal this off season. 
Need shooters everyone can see that not just one a couple great shooters. Ball players that can handle the ball an not turn it over! 
Also Woodson needs to look at his staff. He needs help running his practices to teach basketball and fundamentals. Bring in a staff that can help players develop. 

So basically you’re saying if we stick with Woodson we need him to clean up most all the things that a coach is hired to do for next season…one is pretty hard pressed right now to see anything he brings that is shows he’s a good coach. Good guy? Sure. Coach? Not so much.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

They will not fire Woodson yet, so it’s what I think he needs to do! Coaches make mistakes on staff! He needs to find better assistants that can help we’re he needs help

That’s what happens in the NFL. Coaches fire their coordinators to get another year, then the head coach gets fired the next year. 

• Like 3