Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Rosemond or Hunter should be the HC if Woodson is let go midseason. 

If IU truly has intentions of parting ways with Woodson (especially since they supposedly put feelers out) and want to make a bold statement....., cut bait and do the above.

I just can't see Woodson fired, but rather strongly encouraged to leave.

JMO

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

If IU truly has intentions of parting ways with Woodson (especially since they supposedly put feelers out) and want to make a bold statement....., cut bait and do the above.

I just can't see Woodson fired, but rather strongly encouraged to leave.

JMO

My statement wasn't really in thoughts of "what they will or should do".... just IF they do.... 

I feel the first at-bat should be one of the two associate HCs, not our recruiting cord or Calbert Chaney. 

This isn't all that relevant, though. I don't think they'll can him mid season. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My statement wasn't really in thoughts of "what they will or should do".... just IF they do.... 

I feel the first at-bat should be one of the two associate HCs, not our recruiting cord or Calbert Chaney. 

This isn't all that relevant, though. I don't think they'll can him mid season. 

I don't either...... I sort of feel he is a "dead man walking" right now.....jmo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I figured DD would be in fire today but was surprised the first people he went after.  He got on the fans for booing last night because at Indiana that is beneath us. Went on to say the attitude of the students are bad because the administration sis catering to New York and N. Chicago kids.  He said he talks with a lot of restaurant and bar owners and they talk about how unruly the kids are today.

I'm a southern Indiana kid.  Let me tell ya, I was as unruly as it got.  

DD throws anything g and everything at the wall to see if it sticks.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think we should let him go midseason. I mean, I really hope we give him the option to retire and that he takes it so we don't have to let him go at all. 

....heck, the players may have even caught wind of something with Woodson too. Who knows? That could be why they don't seem to be fighting/playing hard for him to stay. JMO

I get the hesitation but not sure why Pearl should be disqualified because he’s older. 

Jim Larranaga-> Took Miami to a F4 last year and an E8 the previous. He’s 74.

Leonard Hamilton-> He’s now 75. 4 years ago had FSU top 2 in the conference and went to a S16. Year before that (Covid year) team was first in conference and had a 26-5 record. Year before that, Sweet 16. Year before that, E8. Doing all of that in his late 60’s/early 70’s. 

Brian Dutcher-> National Championship game last year. 3 straight tournament appearances. Covid year they were best team in conference.  64 years old. 

Coach K-> Retired mid 70’s.

Roy Williams-> Retired early 70’s.

Bill Self (61), Cal (65), Izzo (69), Barnes (69), Pitino (71). These guys are some of the best in the game currently. Only see their names brought up in retirement if they are having bad seasons, which are rare. 

Still not convinced? Here’s a study done arguing that the older coaches are more successful than younger coaches in the tournament. Some interesting notes from it:

“The average age of head coaches in the Sweet Sixteen since 2010 is 52.9 years old. That average increases to 54.1 years old in the Elite Eight and 55.6 years old in the Final Four. While the average age of championship game coaches stays fairly flat at 55.3, the average age of championship winners since 2010 jumps to 57.8 years old.”

https://www.medicareadvantage.com/resources/average-age-of-winning-ncaa-coaches

We also just hired a FB coach who is 62, which seems to bother no one…why? Because we want to win and feel he was the best pick to accomplish that. Apply the same standard. 

• Like 4

Just now, Hoosierdave said:

I get the hesitation but not sure why Pearl should be disqualified because he’s older. 

Leonard Hamilton-> He’s now 75. 4 years ago had FSU top 2 in the conference and went to a S16. Year before that (Covid year) team was first in conference and had a 26-5 record. Year before that, Sweet 16. Year before that, E8. Doing all of that in his late 60’s/early 70’s. 

Brian Dutcher-> National Championship game last year. 3 straight tournament appearances. Covid year they were best team in conference.  64 years old. 

Bill Self (61), Cal (65), Izzo (69), Barnes (69), Pitino (71). These guys are some of the best in the game currently. Only see their names brought up in retirement if they are having bad seasons, which are rare. 

Still not convinced? Here’s a study done arguing that the older coaches are more successful than younger coaches in the tournament. Some interesting notes from it:

“The average age of head coaches in the Sweet Sixteen since 2010 is 52.9 years old. That average increases to 54.1 years old in the Elite Eight and 55.6 years old in the Final Four. While the average age of championship game coaches stays fairly flat at 55.3, the average age of championship winners since 2010 jumps to 57.8 years old.”

We also just hired a FB coach who is 62, which seems to bother no one…why? Because we want to win and feel he was the best pick to accomplish that. Apply the same standard. 

Both Cig and Woodson definitely color their hair to look younger to their players....lol

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Do you know what the average tenure of those the coach was for those same areas?  Just wondering if they were all long tenured coaches or not

51 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I believe this will be an interesting 3 weeks coming up

I take that as it could be good? At least I’m hopeful…😉

it has been mentioned earlier….,

you have actually heard from your source/sources, that “someone” within (associated with IU bb) have put out feelers for IU interest to Pearl, or any others?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm here to report that I have NOT been contacted by IU about becoming their next head basketball coach.  In the event that they do, I will post the news exclusively on HSN first.  

They hired Woodson why not you.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm here to report that I have NOT been contacted by IU about becoming their next head basketball coach.  In the event that they do, I will post the news exclusively on HSN first.  

Do you have zero college basketball coaching experience and run an outdated nba offense? If so, I expect IU to be in touch soon 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2