Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

46 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Booo!

i need to call you Senator IUFLA because you like wiggling out of answers. 😎

Come on man...You never make a bet without knowing all the details...

At least I never would... ;) 

Edited by IUFLA

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

lets extend him, IUfla says this is 1985 all over so in 2 years Woodson will win it all, so give him 3 more years.

Hey! I like that idea!

But no extension needed... his contract runs for 3 more years (til March 27 IIRC)? 

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

f you retain Woody you almost have to extend him because you can’t let him recruit with only 2 years left on his contract. This whole situation is a mess. Just pull the plug now.

Exactly. Have to have a long term solution or recruiting becomes even harder.

If he is coming back you almost have to extend him. Anyone arguing he should be extended?

• Like 1

I've officially given up trying to read every post in this thread.  I need someone to volunteer to give me a Cliffs notes version once a day.  I can't pay anything, but my 4th wife (in federal prison), is looking for new pen pals.  I can refer her your way.  

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I've officially given up trying to read every post in this thread.  I need someone to volunteer to give me a Cliffs notes version once a day.  I can't pay anything, but my 4th wife (in federal prison), is looking for new pen pals.  I can refer her your way.  

What about conjugal visits? 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The vast majority of posters want Mike Woodson fired... Now, tomorrow, or at the end of the season (that varies)

A few don't...

And I did that as a public service (since you knew who Ernie Lombardi was 🙂)

I never took a pen pal after my father in law told me what a mess his WW2 pen pal, Gunda Bierschneiter of Velburg, got him in with his wife after the war... He said the Battle of the Bulge (which he was in) paled by comparison 😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Exactly. Have to have a long term solution or recruiting becomes even harder.

If he is coming back you almost have to extend him. Anyone arguing he should be extended?

When you hire a 63 year old coach to a 6 year deal, he quickly becomes a lame duck. Woodson has publicly said that his window is closing and isn’t sure if he’ll coach into his 70s

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

Depends on how you define it. If you are just looking at W/L record absent all other context, sure.

But I don't think that you could find many examples of coaches with no long-term track record of success who appear to have lost all recruiting momentum, as well as the confidence of much of the fan base, and underperformed so starkly on the court given the existing talent base, but yet were able to rebound quickly to achieve the goals that Woodson himself set (B1G and National championships). And if you could find one, they probably wouldn't have been talking as stubbornly, or running as antiquated a scheme, as Woodson is.

So the context matters. Which, again, is why the analogy of Pearl's first three years at Auburn is apples to oranges. 

At Auburn they could look at Pearl's record at UT and Milwaukee to see he has had success everywhere he had coached. You don't have that with Woodson because he didn't have any college experience and had very little success in the NBA.

• Like 6

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

So he got the Fife treatment 

I don't recall Rabby doing that type of thing without the blessing/encouragement of the athletic department. He is generally used to push a narrative. 

• Like 3