Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That Trilly guy saying it was Buckner who hired Archie too.  Wasn't Fred's choice. He was overruled.😢

Buckner has to go immediately.

I've had one personal interaction with Buckner in my life and it was back when Crean was coach. I will just say I am not surprised at all he is making his opinion known and forcing his will, based on things he said to a random 20 something back then. 

• Sad 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I've had one personal interaction with Buckner in my life and it was back when Crean was coach. I will just say I am not surprised at all he is making his opinion known and forcing his will, based on things he said to a random 20 something back then. 

He also sucks at calling Pacer games. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It was a simple question...Would ANY coach have survived with that record at IU...I think we all know the answer...

You need to watch this video then determine for yourself if Scott Dolson would trade Mike Woodson and Bruce Pearl...

I realize that this video was after Woody's first year, but "sticking with the plan" and "no timetable for success" are kinda the root of Scott Dolson as an AD...He cut his teeth under Knight, and I think he understands that every coach...Every coach, can have a year where things don't go as planned...He was a manager on the 85 team, so it's not like he's never seen IU finish under .500 in Big 10 play...

He was also the AD in Woodson's 1st season when he went 9-11

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's gonna get ugly folks.  Really ugly.  I had hoped it wouldn't come to this but Buckner is hell bent on putting his friendship over the best interests of the University.  Buckle up.

Dolson is not the problem.

Exactly the way I was afraid this would unfold, unfortunately 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....so now Buckner it in charge of hiring? I thought that was AD's job and Dolson's responsibility. lol (insert sarcasm here)

It's starting to sound like Dolson is just a puppet and Buckner has taken IU prisoner.....

If only someone on this board had warned you all that he would be nothing more than "yes man" Dolson if given the job.

Does being the chair give Quinn full power to fire Dolson or would it have to be something voted on by all 9 trustees?

If the latter then I would just fire Woodson if I was Dolson regardless and dare the 9 trustees to fire me over it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Does being the chair give Quinn full power to fire Dolson or would it have to be something voted on by all 9 trustees?

If the latter then I would just fire Woodson if I was Dolson regardless and dare the 9 trustees to fire me over it.

He'd have to have the money backing him to do that, though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yikes.

Screenshot_20240305-083149.png

Indirectly, this actually gets at why I've been okay with Woodson potentially getting a year 4.

He's had two seasons of college basketball experience, and in both years it was easy to craft the narrative things were moving in the right direction. We got back to the tournament for the first time in five years. We followed that up by finishing second in the Big Ten and getting a four seed in the Tournament. In the last 30 years, back to when Knight was coaching Cheaney, only the '13 team had been seeded higher. Recruiting seemed promising, we were in on and landing five star talents. It would have been easy for Woodson to believe he was a successful college coach and had things rolling in the right direction.

This season all the cracks in the foundation were laid bare. Our struggles have exposed all the ways in which we don't play efficient basketball, and make the game harder for ourselves based on what we do and don't prioritize. There are certain skills missing from this year's roster, and our talent elsewhere wasn't enough to compensate.

All these issues can potentially be addressed in one offseaon. The portal allows Woodson to balance out the roster in a way that wasn't done last spring. Another year of experience at this level could make Woodson comfortable with players who won't play in the NBA, but can contribute to winning at the college level. If you want to play inside-out, go get playmakers and shooters to complement your frontcourt.

Lots of lessons to be learned from this season, for a coach who's willing to self-reflect. Is Woodson that guy? I think there's still a chance. There's an urgency and a need to do so now that wasn't present after his first two seasons. I'm okay with a year 4 because I want to see how Woodson responds to failure. If he truly can't recognize the ways in which he failed, then we have our answer. Maybe Dolson is already having those conversations, and knows a change of direction is needed. That's fine too. But as a fan on the outside, my response to a season like this isn't that it's a fireable offense; the fireable offense is allowing it to ever happen again.

Edited by Maedhros

12 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

If it were confirmed Reneau, Mgbako, and Galloway are all leaving (along with Ware) should Woodson be retained, would any of the Woodson defenders still give him another year?

Now, Part Two to the above, this post indirectly gets to why I don't think Woodson turns it around, and that year four will likely be his last.

My big concern is it's just too late. Woodson came from the NBA, and from the moment he arrived on campus his priority was recruiting the best of the best, guys who looked like players he saw in the NBA. Now, outside of your Dukes and Kentuckys, his hit rate on those players has been impressive! The problem is there haven't been nearly enough three- and four-year guys brought in to build around them. Kaleb Banks isn't playing. Walsh had to convince Woodson to bring in Cupps. That's it.

Woodson has essentially tried to shortcut the process, just as Penny Hardaway did at Memphis and Juwan Howard at Michigan. That can lead to good results when you have the right talent on had. When those guys leave early, or you miss on a cycle, you have no baseline established to maintain continuity.

The premise of the quoted post is straightforward. If those guys go, of course Woodson has to go too. There'd be nothing left. You can fill in on the fly with the portal, but any new coach can do that too. If you're going to be starting from scratch in year 4, might as well be with a new coach, too. 

Every complaint I have about Woodson can be tied to his lifetime of experience at the NBA level, and his need to adapt to what's required at the college level. Some of those lessons can still be learned. But even if everything else gets fixed, I susect his failure early on to engage in roster building with a view to the long term means he won't have the runway to get this program to consistently perform at a level fans demand.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Indirectly, this actually gets at why I've been okay with Woodson potentially getting a year 4.

He's had two seasons of college basketball experience, and in both years it was easy to craft the narrative things were moving in the right direction. We got back to the tournament for the first time in five years. We followed that up by finishing second in the Big Ten and getting a four seed in the Tournament. In the last 30 years, back to when Knight was coaching Cheaney, only the '13 team had been seeded higher. Recruiting seemed promising, we were in on and landing five star talents. It would have been easy for Woodson to believe he was a successful college coach and had things rolling in the right direction.

This season all the cracks in the foundation were laid bare. Our struggles have exposed all the ways in which we don't play efficient basketball, and make the game harder for ourselves based on what we do and don't prioritize. There are certain skills missing from this year's roster, and our talent elsewhere wasn't enough to compensate.

All these issues can potentially be addressed in one offseaon. The portal allows Woodson to balance out the roster in a way that wasn't done last spring. Another year of experience at this level could make Woodson comfortable with players who won't play in the NBA, but can contribute to winning at the college level. If you want to play inside-out, go get playmakers and shooters to complement your frontcourt.

Lots of lessons to be learned from this season, for a coach who's willing to self-reflect. Is Woodson that guy? I think there's still a chance. There's an urgency and a need to do so now that wasn't present after his first two seasons. I'm okay with a year 4 because I want to see how Woodson responds to failure. If he truly can't recognize the ways in which he failed, then we have our answer. Maybe Dolson is already having those conversations, and knows a change of direction is needed. That's fine too. But as a fan on the outside, my response to a season like this isn't that it's a fireable offense; the fireable offense is allowing it to ever happen again.

I can't agree. Not with leaving a scholly open, not with already having evaluated Gunn, Banks and keeping them, not after knowing Newton's injury, not after seeing Gabe Cupps... taking Sparks in the portal. (how can we play modern ball with him?)... did we even scout MM before we offered him? I am not convinced we did. 

Then we still have to hear "played from the inside out" lol... no. Just no. 

• Like 2