Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can't even think for me in my own mind what I would need to see next year to regain faith in this staff. 

How can the admin even evaluate it?

Only get beat by an average of 9 points against all of our quad 1 games before B10 play?  Start playing patty-cake instead of hot potato in the post? Transition to a 4 in/1 out offense with Sparks at the point?

• Haha 1

Still processing this pathetic news. I am always a fan of the players, but I am not a fan of the coaching staff or the admin if this decision indeed plays out to be true. Really have no desire to even watch tonight, and I’ve never felt like that. In all my nearly 45 years of being an IU bball fan, I’ve never felt like this. Not a good feeling. Can’t fathom next year at all. I mean we had SSAH main level seats going for $2 a week ago on StubHub.

• Like 7

Not surprised.

Wanted it to be true I just never believed that the administration would have the stomach for letting him go after making the tournament his first two years when Archie got four years and never made it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

What about this Tuesday meeting, still on or are we officially stuck with Woodson?😞

That's to give woodson 4 year extension and another mill. If he just goes 0-32 that gets him another mill.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

My theory if what you’ve heard said has truth to it…

Woodson has agreed to retire.

they support him till retires at season’s end best for both parties

please be true.  please be true.  please be true.

• Like 3

so there are no quotes from anyone.  nothing from Dolson or anyone saying Woodson is our guy.  i'm holding out hope.  obviously if they are having to make an announcement that he is returning they are acknowledging how bad things are getting.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so there are no quotes from anyone.  nothing from Dolson or anyone saying Woodson is our guy.  i'm holding out hope.  obviously if they are having to make an announcement that he is returning they are acknowledging how bad things are getting.  

Same…. Weird… Weird… Weird

Damage control before senior night crowd boos him out of Assembly Hall? Also two 2025 and two 2026 recruits in attendance.

Odd that Dolson himself hasn’t made a public statement. Still not surprised if he's here till 2027. IU admin has proven to be a card short of a full deck for a good while now.

I wouldn't get too worked up either way until the end of the season which is basically three games from now.

Whats really going to be good is if Dusty ends up at Ohio State and spanks IU on their home floor.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Damage control before senior night crowd boos him out of Assembly Hall? Also two 2025 and two 2026 recruits in attendance.

That could really, really backfire.

If we get blown out and it's confirmed he is back, that may be an all-time toxic environment. 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

please @DC2345 give me hope.  if we lose ugly tonight and lose at home vs MSU then 1st round of BTT, do you honestly believe it won't get ugly enough to still make a change?

I’d like to. I’m confused about everything that’s been said the last two weeks and I haven’t gotten an answer as to what happened and why. I’m at a loss

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

please @DC2345 give me hope.  if we lose ugly tonight and lose at home vs MSU then 1st round of BTT, do you honestly believe it won't get ugly enough to still make a change?

I won't wait for the answer. 

Gang...he was never going anywhere. Find whatever source or person on the board or follow you can but Coach Woodson was never going anywhere in year 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Gang...he was never going anywhere. Find whatever source or person on the board or follow you can but Coach Woodson was never going anywhere in year 3.

I will say this.  If IU's recent 4 game losing streak was now sitting as a 7 game losing streak, I think you have to remove 'never' from your statement.  What did the two game winning streak before last night do?  It guaranteed a non-losing record, and at that point the optics of firing him became murkier.  Regardless of what the product looks like on the court (and, honestly, we all have to admit this season has not been pretty), it would be hard to fire a legacy coach who never had a losing season and had been to the tournament 2 out of 3 times.  Frankly, if the fan base wasn't already out of sorts from the latter Crean years and all of Archie's tenure, there would not be so much discontent.

Bottom line is that I don't believe the administration wanted to fire him, and the recent spurt of better play has give them the 'evidence' they were looking for as justification.

All that said, optics or not, I would have been more excited headed into next season with Bruce Pearl as the head coach.  That's MY reality, but it is what it is, and I'm still an IU fan, as I have been for over 50 years.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will say this.  If IU's recent 4 game losing streak was now sitting as a 7 game losing streak, I think you have to remove 'never' from your statement.  What did the two game winning streak before last night do?  It guaranteed a non-losing record, and at that point the optics of firing him became murkier.  Regardless of what the product looks like on the court (and, honestly, we all have to admit this season has not been pretty), it would be hard to fire a legacy coach who never had a losing season and had been to the tournament 2 out of 3 times.  Frankly, if the fan base wasn't already out of sorts from the latter Crean years and all of Archie's tenure, there would not be so much discontent.

Bottom line is that I don't believe the administration wanted to fire him, and the recent spurt of better play has give them the 'evidence' they were looking for as justification.

All that said, optics or not, I would have been more excited headed into next season with Bruce Pearl as the head coach.  That's MY reality, but it is what it is, and I'm still an IU fan, as I have been for over 50 years.

this is kind of where i'm at...i believe that they really want to keep him one more year, but had it gone how i thought and we were at that 7 game losing streak, it would be so so ugly.  i mean look how bad it is even with a couple wins.  had to make an announcement that he'll be back?  just a shame that we have to wait another year to start the rebuild.  so... i hope we can defend our home court vs MSU and win a couple rounds of BTT.  then retain Taco, MR, and Liam.  pray we get stud guards and that Woodson can't mess up that much talent too badly!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

i agree with this

It might also be that Pearl wasn’t fully on board or ever on board with coming to IU. If that’s the case then giving Woody another year makes more sense. 

Edited by 94hoosier
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is kind of where i'm at...i believe that they really want to keep him one more year, but had it gone how i thought and we were at that 7 game losing streak, it would be so so ugly.  i mean look how bad it is even with a couple wins.  had to make an announcement that he'll be back?  just a shame that we have to wait another year to start the rebuild.  so... i hope we can defend our home court vs MSU and win a couple rounds of BTT.  then retain Taco, MR, and Liam.  pray we get stud guards and that Woodson can't mess up that much talent too badly!

.....What else do we have to look forward to now that the coaching situation has been decided, at least for next year? I was all for a change, but this is the reality right now. I am tired of being bitter and angry and need to move on. I was born and raised an IU fan, that will never change. 

I actually watched and enjoyed the entire game last night without my BP alarming my Apple Watch. I can only hope and pray that Woodson will rebuild a much better staff, retains key starters and lands some much needed players in the portal.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

My theory if what you’ve heard said has truth to it…

Woodson has agreed to retire.

they support him till retires at season’s end best for both parties

I like this. Obviously it could be way off and he is indeed back, but maybe they put that out there so that at the end of the season if he announces retirement then it’s everyone making it look like his decision to step away. Just seems like an odd thing to randomly announce before the season is up. Gets everyone to calm down a bit and stop speculating and then they have Woodson be the guy to say he gracefully steps aside.

I just feel like we’ve been surprised before after “announcements” like this. Like I said though, also wouldn’t surprise me if he really is back and if so then I root like heck for him to come up with a great roster to do something with. 

i will definitely be cheering for the best ending to this season that we can have - question - how low could we finish with a loss to MSU and how high could we finish with the W?  could we finish 12th still?  could we finish 5th still?  

I’m not completely convinced the new rumors aren't just to tame the noise a bit until the season plays out. 

That said, we missed out terribly on Pat Kraft. The insanity around the Woodson hire & Woodson needing a coach to coach him while IU throws mega money at him is absurd. Cue the RMK Mickey mouse clip.

I admit, being stuck with it, any hope that made sense revolved around Matta being added. A lot of us have said this.

Rumor: Now its someones idea to retain him, let him clean house and bring on another coach to coach him to better results? Just get rid of Woodson and hire the advisor? 

I dont care how nice he is. Or that he was so down to earth and took pictures with me and my family or he was once a great basketball player. He isn't the answer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2