Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

For someone that just got told they were coming back for another year Woodson was very standoffish last night towards the media in his post game presser. That seemed a little odd to me for someone that has had so much confidence in the job that they are doing. Something about this whole situation still just seems weird to me. 

He’s not doing himself any favors on how he responds during his media availability. He gives me absolutely no reason to be confident in him based on his responses the past couple months

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

For someone that just got told they were coming back for another year Woodson was very standoffish last night towards the media in his post game presser. That seemed a little odd to me for someone that has had so much confidence in the job that they are doing. Something about this whole situation still just seems weird to me. 

I"m sure he's not happy that the announcement was made and he was offended that the question was asked. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kdug said:

I never got this argument. Yes Archie got a 4th year, but his 3rd year was his best so you could argue things were trending in a positive direction. His 4th year also was a disaster that became very toxic, so no idea why that’s pointed to like it was a successful example. If anything, it’s an example of what it could look like if things go poorly.

It’s a moronic justification. It’s not like giving Archie Miller an extra year resulted in us winning big and extending him an extra 5 years and providing stability for this program. It just delayed the inevitable by a year. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....What else do we have to look forward to now that the coaching situation has been decided, at least for next year? I was all for a change, but this is the reality right now. I am tired of being bitter and angry and need to move on. I was born and raised an IU fan, that will never change. 

I actually watched and enjoyed the entire game last night without my BP alarming my Apple Watch. I can only hope and pray that Woodson will rebuild a much better staff, retains key starters and lands some much needed players in the portal.

My thing with the staff rebuild is how in the hell would Woody be able to make any recommendations there. He’s never coached or recruited college basketball before IU, so how is he gonna make a wish list. This just feels like he’s gonna hire his friend Kenny Payne when he gets fired this year and we won’t be off any better because Payne has been the laughing stock of college basketball the past 2 years and no recruit will want to play for him.

Paying a man 4 million a year just to hold his hand through every step. 

Edited by Hoosierdave
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

My thing with the staff rebuild is how in the hell would Woody be able to make any recommendations there. He’s never coached or recruited college basketball before IU, so how is he gonna make a wish list. This just feels like he’s gonna hire his friend Kenny Payne when he gets fired this year and we won’t be off any better because Payne has been the laughing stock of college basketball the past 2 years and no recruit will want to play for him.

Paying a man 4 million a year just to hold his hand through every step. 

That was Matta's job:

Matta's contribution was to help Woodson learn the parts of the job he couldn't have learned from all of those years in the NBA. Woodson might have had to game plan to stop LeBron James, but he'd never before had to thumb through the NCAA rulebook to learn about the arcane rules about what he was allowed to do in recruiting. His NBA connections were endless, but he didn't have the same number of contacts for coaches who were looking to stay in the college game and he hadn't been to the summer travel events where he could see those coaches work. 

But Matta had done all of those things for decades, so he provided those insights. 

"Woody was gonna do what Woody was gonna do, but just in terms of (teaching him) the college game," Matta said. "Helping him put together a staff. Helping him with job responsibilities, those kinds of things... He didn't know a lot of the recruiting, the rules, the regulations." 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/04/07/how-new-butler-coach-thad-matta-helped-indiana-basketball-mike-woodson/9464671002/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I would assume he probably wasn't really happy how the media turned him this week, like Rabby

• Like 2

I believe that there are 3 possible theories here.

1. Woodson's seat was never even warm

2. THe seat was hot Dolson has his guy lined up and the BOT or President said no way

3. Woodson has been told that he just needs to step away after the season. He had his vote of confidence which quiets one side of the discussion and IU does not have to fire him. Win win. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

2. THe seat was hot Dolson has his guy lined up and the BOT or President said no way

3. Woodson has been told that he just needs to step away after the season. He had his vote of confidence which quiets one side of the discussion and IU does not have to fire him. Win win. 

I’ve been trying to tell myself that it’s #3, and hoping like heck it’s the case. The announcement keeps things quiet and then he announces he’s stepping down at the end of the season, making it appear as though it was his decision and not actually being fired. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Would like to believe it's #3, but yesterday's news seems too definitive for that. I think there would have been other ways to give a vote of confidence that were less definitive if that was the purpose.

5 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Would like to believe it's #3, but yesterday's news seems too definitive for that. I think there would have been other ways to give a vote of confidence that were less definitive if that was the purpose.

but was it?  who was the source?  it's not like Dolson or someone else was quoted as saying Coach Woodson is our guy or whatever.  

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My guess is 1. or 3.   I also bet this max exodus of players isn't true either.... This could definitely age poorly, but with Ware posting a picture of Woody cheesing it up on Instagram tells me he is backing Woodson....I could see Gunn and/or Banks leaving, but I am betting Gallo, Cupps, Reneau, and hopefully MM returning.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I've said for the longest time, that it's #1

As for his relationship with the media, I think he's just below RMK on their shit list...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I’ve been trying to tell myself that it’s #3, and hoping like heck it’s the case. The announcement keeps things quiet and then he announces he’s stepping down at the end of the season, making it appear as though it was his decision and not actually being fired. 

While saving face for everyone.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've said for the longest time, that it's #1

As for his relationship with the media, I think he's just below RMK on their shit list...

Huh?  Mike Woodson is on the media's poo list?  Since when and for what?  Horrible answers that make him sound like a volunteer ymca coach?  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That was Matta's job:

Matta's contribution was to help Woodson learn the parts of the job he couldn't have learned from all of those years in the NBA. Woodson might have had to game plan to stop LeBron James, but he'd never before had to thumb through the NCAA rulebook to learn about the arcane rules about what he was allowed to do in recruiting. His NBA connections were endless, but he didn't have the same number of contacts for coaches who were looking to stay in the college game and he hadn't been to the summer travel events where he could see those coaches work. 

But Matta had done all of those things for decades, so he provided those insights. 

"Woody was gonna do what Woody was gonna do, but just in terms of (teaching him) the college game," Matta said. "Helping him put together a staff. Helping him with job responsibilities, those kinds of things... He didn't know a lot of the recruiting, the rules, the regulations." 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/04/07/how-new-butler-coach-thad-matta-helped-indiana-basketball-mike-woodson/9464671002/

I don't even know where to begin as I reflect on this, but the words "red flag" do pop up in my head.  

I get the feeling, from seeing his replies/comments to questions asked by reporters, that CMW does not like being questioned about how he does things or sees things.  He doesn't come across as someone who takes constructive criticism well.  Again, just my opinion from watching/hearing/reading him in interviews.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Huh?  Mike Woodson is on the media's poo list?  Since when and for what?  Horrible answers that make him sound like a volunteer ymca coach?  

For quite a while... Where do you think all the BS from the past couple of days came from. 

2 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I get the feeling, from seeing his replies/comments to questions asked by reporters, that CMW does not like being questioned about how he does things or sees things.  He doesn't come across as someone who takes constructive criticism well.  Again, just my opinion from watching/hearing/reading him in interviews.

Gee, who does that sound like? 

5 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I don't even know where to begin as I reflect on this, but the words "red flag" do pop up in my head.  

that's why people surround themselves with yes men. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For quite a while... Where do you think all the BS from the past couple of days came from. 

Gee, who does that sound like? 

You are on an island on this one.  Rabjohns took a shot, likely told to take the shot.  He gets asked one semi controversial question, not really, and you lump him with RMK. Lol. No not close.  He hasn't been asked hard questions all year.  What are you talking about?

Is there anyone else on this site that thinks Woodson is hated by the media like RMK?  I'd love to hear from you.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You are on an island on this one.  Rabjohns took a shot, likely told to take the shot.  He gets asked one semi controversial question, not really, and you lump him with RMK. Lol. No not close.  He hasn't been asked hard questions all year.  What are you talking about?

Is there anyone else on this site that thinks Woodson is hated by the media like RMK?  I'd love to hear from you.  

Your opinion... I've watched every post game and pre game (day before media availability) and while he's not quite as overt with his contempt of the media as RMK was, he's not going to sit there and discuss basketball strategies with them... 

Edited by IUFLA

Just now, IUFLA said:

Your opinion... I've watched every post game and pre game (day before media availability) and while he's not quite as overt with his contempt of the media as RMK was, but he's not going to sit there and discuss basketball strategies with them... 

Just because he thinks he's above them doesn't make him media's most hated in 20 something years.  It's just a ridiculous inaccurate opinion, that you and you only have and we will let you keep it.  I have heard somewhere that the mind is a terrible thing to waste.  So I'll move along.  You won't change my mind and outside of the most blind Woodson followers, no one else on the planet holds this opinion either.  

• Like 2

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Just because he thinks he's above them doesn't make him media's most hated in 20 something years.  It's just a ridiculous inaccurate opinion, that you and you only have and we will let you keep it.  I have heard somewhere that the mind is a terrible thing to waste.  So I'll move along.  You won't change my mind and outside of the most blind Woodson followers, no one else on the planet holds this opinion either.  

Did I say hated? Said he was on their shit list... 

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Did the media hate, absolutely hate RMK?  Yes.  

Did you say, let's go back and see, "just below RMK on their shit list..."

So, do you think Woodson has a Painter like relationship with the press?