Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, Hoosier219 said:

I’m not sure the program will recover from this debacle of hiring Woodson. He’s an IU legend with a giant ego…I don’t see them firing him even after next season…I think he stays until he’s ready to retire or his 6 year contract is not renewed. If he cared about iubb at all, he would retire instead of sitting around smoking cigars and taking the program for millions. 

Can’t blame Liam for looking out for his future. With the mass exodus that’s coming, next years portal team may be worse than Crean’s first year. 
I can’t believe it’s too much to ask to find a coach that cares, that can recruit, and make the tournament yearly. We are well past the point of having high expectations. Sad, sad state of affairs for iubb. 

Amongst many other things, that is the problem with keeping him another year. Where does this end next season?

How bad does it have to get next season to fire him? If he squeaks into the play-in round or say a 10 seed in March, is that "improvement" and Woodson and Buckner try to sell it was a "get right" year and he now has things heading in the right direction?

Where does this end?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  Just saying I can understand why the deep pockets expect a bit of input when they've been called upon so frequently of late.

I think they should get some input but they shouldn't be calling the shots on the final decision. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

No other top 50 program much less a top 10 program would've even given Woody a sniff if he had wanted to get into college coaching.  I don't blame Woody.  Yes he's clueless and lazy but if you were going to pay me millions of dollars a year to sit around drink wine, and smoke cigars, I'd jump at the opportunity and so would everyone here.

He never should've been hired.

Completely agree. I reread my post and it kinda sounds like I am defending Woodson which wasn’t my intention. Just wanted to emphasize how poor of a job IU has done with hiring the past several coaches

Edited by 02Hoosier

34 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm 50/50.  It would beyond insane if the administration brings him back for more season just so Mike can walk the green mile.  Everyone knows exactly how this will end and it will be very toxic and ugly.  Not sure the program could ever recover.

I hope on Sunday when Woodson has the mic the fans boo him like crazy

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Amongst many other things, that is the problem with keeping him another year. Where does this end next season?

How bad does it have to get next season to fire him? If he squeaks into the play-in round or say a 10 seed in March, is that "improvement" and Woodson and Buckner try to sell it was a "get right" year and he now has things heading in the right direction?

Where does this end?

This. My question is what is considered success?

Once upon a time Davis was fired for missing the tournament. Crean was fired for missing the tournament (after a B1G title). Would squeaking into the tournament next year (Woody’s 4th year!) now be considered success? 

Has the bar been lowered that much? 

I really hope Dolson and co made this decision thinking Woody can really turn things around, rather than trying to be ‘fair’. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Still surprised there hasn’t been anything official from IU, unless that is what the Tuesday’s conference is about 

If there is a Tuesday conference I can’t imagine it will be good. I think if IU were to lose Sunday and the stadium is loud with boos. Mixed with the Liam news… IT would be an ugly site to see. My question today after some reflection time is… What if Woody can get the talent in the portal? IU starts sluggish at the beginning of the year and loses to teams like FGCU or Wright State? 1/2$ tickets for the Wisconsin game… Imagine like 1/2$ tickets for the whole Big Ten play. I’m guessing some games would look like the Michigan vs Purdue game this year where opposing team takes over the stadium. Idk Woodson better hope Gallo Mgbako Cupps or Reneau don’t leave.., If 2+ those 4 leave you could argue no one will want to come and play for a team that doesn’t have National Championship aspirations for that year or might not get the necessary exposure for that season.

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Where does this end?

He's a lame duck by his own admission. We just don't know whether it's for another year, two or three.

I’m almost 66 but I feel good and I still move around and I think that I still think well in terms of the game and I still think I can teach the game. I don’t know, there are coaches that are coaching into their 70s. I don’t know if that’s something I’ll do, I don’t know. But at this point, I’ll take it a day at a time, a year at a time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Have you heard anything to support this or just a thought?  No need for specifics but just looking for any kind of hope right now. 

Here's some hope, the "he'll be back" source was just that, sources. Not Dolson, not a real announcement. I just don't think any sort of real decision has been made hence why it came from "sources" and not anyone specifically. There's some hope. I am not a "fire the coach" kind of guy, but it was time to get rid of Allen, and it's time to move on from Woody. Not because of his "style of play", for me it's the obvious issue his ego and lack of college experience has caught up with him. He really mucked up the roster, recruiting and the schedule. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Still surprised there hasn’t been anything official from IU, unless that is what the Tuesday’s conference is about 

Wait.  What conference?  Sorry I missed this.

Go Hoosiers!!!

10 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

His answers after the last game sure didn’t sound like they were coming from a guy who thought he would be back next year.

Yeah, his answers the other night were really kind of puzzling, though his answers to questions all season have really been kind of puzzling. 

Instead of, "Scott and I are on the same page. The admin and I are on the same page. While we're disappointed in this season so far, we're building momentum here in March. Hopefully we can go on a run next week at the BTT and we'll see what happens. We have a lot of these guys back next season, a stud coming in with Liam, and we're going to work our tails off this Spring to add more pieces. I'm excited about next week and excited about the work we're going to in this offseason!"

Instead Woodson said, "don't ask me that."

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, his answers the other night were really kind of puzzling, though his answers to questions all season have really been kind of puzzling. 

Instead of, "Scott and I are on the same page. The admin and I are on the same page. While we're disappointed in this season so far, we're building momentum here in March. Hopefully we can go on a run next week at the BTT and we'll see what happens. We have a lot of these guys back next season, a stud coming in with Liam, and we're going to work our tails off this Spring to add more pieces. I'm excited about next week and excited about the work we're going to in this offseason!"

Instead Woodson said, "don't ask me that."

Exactly. Not only are you teaching kids how to play basketball, you're instilling confidence in them and the people they play for. It's not rocket science.

• Like 1

I have no knowledge of this being the case, but it seems that once the article was released about IU being a destination or “Dream Job” for Pearl back in December…. Something changed. Now, we obviously weren’t going to have a good season due to the lack of guard depth and play in general. Many of us are on the same page here. That being said, some felt that IU couldn’t and shouldn’t be in that position when structuring a roster, especially in the transfer portal era. Those folks are right. I still, up until a couple of days ago, believed that CMW would return with an opportunity to get it right. He was granted that backing by Buckner, but apparently not everyone else is on board. Whatever chip he seemed to have up his sleeve may now be gone since McNeeley has asked out of his LOI. No solid sources here. Just a hunch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I think they should get some input but they shouldn't be calling the shots on the final decision. 

I think we are letting the wrong NBA owner booster have a lot of influence.

Like how crazy is it that we have TWO NBA owners as boosters and can't even consistently compete for top 5 in our conference. 

• Like 3