Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Put Tom Crean and Jordy Hulls in charge of scouting/recruit visits, etc. Hell idk. lol 

The whole GM thing the way Woodson envisions it just isn't going to work in college. He actually thinks players will agree to play at IU when they aren't even being recruited by the HC. He still thinks he's in the NBA.

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

I look at the "can't fire a legend or you'll look bad" very differently I guess.

If Duke hired Grant Hill, or North Carolina hired Sam Perkins, etc., then fired them later for genuinely poor performance (or like NC did with Dougherty), I wouldn't say "Oh, look how crazy and unreasonable they are, they fired one of their own". 

I would be like, "look how serious they are about being good and not tolerating mediocrity, he sucked and they moved on".

I think IU is WAY over-sensitive about this. If the coach isn't getting it done, move on!

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

So I was one of the few that was wanting Woodson to get another year at least, mainly because I'm tired of this same thing happening every 3-4 years and quit frankly I thought he deserved it.  I want someone in place where something can be built and have some long term sustainability.

With that being said I and what has went down yesterday I'm officially done and he needs to go! If I wasn't doing my job no matter how long I had been there or what i had done for them in the past I would be fired immediately. Get somebody in there that gives a damn and wants to do the job not just earn a paycheck.

I held out as long as I could. My dad, the absolute most level-headed person I've ever met (he and I are polar opposites)... cannot watch IU. He thinks Woodson has to go, as well. He had IUFB season tickets for 35 years.. the man has all the patience in the world, but he is even fed up with CMW. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Hell put Coach Crean in charge of the team lol.  At this point, he is the top of the hump over the last 20 years

Crean was a disaster and that was proven at UGA as well.  Seems like a good guy but not a good coach.  IU should not have to settle for guys like Crean, Archie, Woodson, etc.  Pearl would light this place up !!

• Haha 2

Just now, DC2345 said:

The whole GM thing the way Woodson envisions it just isn't going to work in college. He actually thinks players will agree to play at IU when they aren't even being recruited by the HC. He still thinks he's in the NBA.

this wasn't really in reference to CMW in anyway.. but with the portal, I feel a director of scouting might be needed, as a separate entity than recruiting director. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

The harsh truth is this won't happen every 3-4 years if the program simply hired high-level, experienced college coaches right from the beginning.

Totally agree. I wasn't thrilled with the last 2 hires but I guess I had hope since Woodson played here in the hay day of IU basketball he would put in the work to get it back to where it once was. Boy was I wrong!

1 minute ago, CTrojan88 said:

Crean was a disaster and that was proven at UGA as well.  Seems like a good guy but not a good coach.  IU should not have to settle for guys like Crean, Archie, Woodson, etc.  Pearl would light this place up !!

Thinking Crean was a disaster is just... wild. Absolutely wild. We've seen disasters, but that wasn't one of them. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

He was a disaster at UGA, but had the best results we have had in 20 years.  Did he have faults, yup and i was ok when the was replaced.  But we should have replaced him with a much larger/better suited coach from that point.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Thinking Crean was a disaster is just... wild. Absolutely wild. We've seen disasters, but that wasn't one of them. 

Agree.

I don't think Crean was the right long-term guy, but he wasn't a disaster, and he was actually a much better bridge to the next coach than Mike Woodson is proving to be.

We are in a disaster zone now.

• Like 4

One of my biggest questions going into this debacle three years ago was, “Will Woodson have the energy it takes to succeed at a high level program as a head coach?” This has been answered unfortunately and become a reality. Some argue that Pearl is the same age, but the guy has an uncanny energy. Those are the types of guys that coach into their 70’s. Bottom line, I’d feel much better about Bruce coaching at age 74 than Mike at age 66. 

• Like 2

Just now, BankShot said:

Agree.

I don't think Crean was the right long-term guy, but he wasn't a disaster, and he was actually a much better bridge to the next coach than Mike Woodson is proving to be.

We are in a disaster zone now.

Replacing Tom Crean with Archie Miller in hindsight is just... Top 3 most laughable things. Hilarious. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

this wasn't really in reference to CMW in anyway.. but with the portal, I feel a director of scouting might be needed, as a separate entity than recruiting director. 

I get that. I lot of programs especially in football have that now. My whole point was just that it's not going to work the way Woodson envisions it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Replacing Tom Crean with Archie Miller in hindsight is just... Top 3 most laughable things. Hilarious. 

We were so hungry for defense at the time, we forgot about every other aspect of the game. And worse, the defense we got was satisfactory at best. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Put Tom Crean and Jordy Hulls in charge of scouting/recruit visits, etc. Hell idk. lol 

I could see doing that in a case where you have a guy who is pretty good at those things and puts in the work but you are wanting to supplement that to try and get a leg up.  That kind of GM role?  Sign me up.

This appears to be more of a case of the guy we hired isn't competent at doing his core job so we need to hire more people just to bring him up to speed with every other coach in P5.  And you know, if you had a guy who was an X's and O's genius who just needed help getting the Jims and Joes, you could almost live with that.  The problem is that we are getting neither.

1 minute ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

My prediction...

Galloway, Malik, Mgbako, Leal, Cupps, Banks, CJ, Ware, Xavier, and Walker are all gone. Either graduating, transferring or going pro/moving on.

10+ scholarship openings. What could go wrong?

I don't think this happens, but if it does then Woody's not coming back.....he just can't. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I held out as long as I could. My dad, the absolute most level-headed person I've ever met (he and I are polar opposites)... cannot watch IU. He thinks Woodson has to go, as well. He had IUFB season tickets for 35 years.. the man has all the patience in the world, but he is even few up with CMW. 

My mom & stepmom are early 80's, late 70's respectively; they are done.  They get it, too.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

He lost his only signed recruit.

Doesn't have inroads on any others at the moment.

Even from an outsider/layman's POV, he isn't outworking the competition for said new recruits.

And he now has an even bigger target for his competition's negative recruiting against him.

CMW better be the second coming of Harry Houdini to get out of this clusterf---

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

So what exactly did Dane Fife get fired for? Was his performance and work ethic worse than Woodson's? Should the same standards be applied to all of the coaches at Indiana?

I smell a rat! 

I think he actually wanted to go out and scout local players…..instead of use the top 50 👟 💰 ️ agents propaganda 

You have to wonder how much Lebron influenced Bronny & Gabe high placement