Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Amongst many other things, that is the problem with keeping him another year. Where does this end next season?

How bad does it have to get next season to fire him? If he squeaks into the play-in round or say a 10 seed in March, is that "improvement" and Woodson and Buckner try to sell it was a "get right" year and he now has things heading in the right direction?

Where does this end?

If Woodson is here next season, the Hoosiers aren't squeaking into the BTT, let alone the NCAA.  It will seriously be on par with Crean's first year or UL last season. 

There will be 1-2 current players, at most, that will stick around, and the roster additions will be from Quad 4 level environments.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

My prediction...

Galloway, Malik, Mgbako, Leal, Cupps, Banks, CJ, Ware, Xavier, and Walker are all gone. Either graduating, transferring or going pro/moving on.

10+ scholarship openings. What could go wrong?

i hope they all leave.  Sparks is the only one that stays. he used his free transfer.

• Like 1

i wasn't upset when we got rid of Crean, but the man embraced Hoosier tradition and toughed out a terrible situation to get us to a #1 ranking.  i totally agreed that he had maxed out where he could get us, but he did things right and there were some fun teams to watch.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Woodson is here next season, the Hoosiers aren't squeaking into the BTT, let alone the NCAA.  It will seriously be on par with Crean's first year or UL last season. 

There will be 1-2 current players, at most, that will stick around, and the roster additions will be from Quad 4 level environments.

I agree, just making the point or asking the question, how bad does it have to get next year to where Woodson and Buckner can't claim "improvement"?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Crean was a disaster and that was proven at UGA as well.  Seems like a good guy but not a good coach.  IU should not have to settle for guys like Crean, Archie, Woodson, etc.  Pearl would light this place up !!

I see Crean's tenure as inconsistent, but trending in the wrong direction at the end.  There were some good times though.

Archie was a disaster.

Woodson's first two years were acceptable, though not quite what we were hoping.  This season, however, has reached a disaster level that makes Archie look like Coach of the Year.

My main point though is that you are being unfair to Crean.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  Just saying I can understand why the deep pockets expect a bit of input when they've been called upon so frequently of late.

Sounds like the deep pockets plus Buckner have the unholy alliance.   It’s not their reluctance to pay the buyout so much as they are driving the bus to begin with.  

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

not even going to call him dumb....he is far past that point.

You have to think Dolson is making calls and trying to find a way out of this mess.  Mike simply doesn't have a clue.  Never should've been hired.  Next season will be worse and everyone knows it.  Sadly Buckner and the Simon's want him back.

The fans are completely done and there's no getting them back. They're already throwing out words like DEI hire and BLM all over Twitter.  An even worse word is likely coming if Dolson doesn't move soon.  A mass exodus is also coming and he can't recruit no matter how much NIL money we throw out.  You're looking at an atmosphere this summer and next season that will make the RMK and Sampson firings seem like a day at Disneyland.  Not sure what the solution is if Dolson really is shackled.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sea Turtle said:

So Buckner hired Miller too. It's even worse than we thought. We have no athletic department leadership. Dolson should either resign in protest or explain to everybody what is happening.

Total dysfunction.

Only at Indiana. 

Correct.

Woodson is a train wreck. He’s not the worst basketball coach in the country, but he is the worst at running a program. The level of apathy that this fanbase will be at if he gets a fourth year will be truly depressing. Our administration is lost if they can’t realize this. I can’t describe the level of frustration I have regarding the current state of the program. His comments in the media are making it so much more obvious he is not the guy, and if what Rabjohns and others are saying is true, he is lazy and not fully committed to being the Head Coach at Indiana. Hopefully we do the right thing.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Victobmyboy said:

I think it already has. 

Outside of message boards and social media. There’s a massive divide right now internally. Woodson has to step down. We could be looking at 10 wins next year if there’s not a change.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

Outside of message boards and social media. There’s a massive divide right now internally. Woodson has to step down. We could be looking at 10 wins next year if there’s not a change.

No chance that egotistical maniac willing steps down. He's the greatest coach alive. He can fix it! Just don't ask him how, because he hasn't figured it out yet. Still needs to conference with Whitman and Armond. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I see Crean's tenure as inconsistent, but trending in the wrong direction at the end.  There were some good times though.

Archie was a disaster.

Woodson's first two years were acceptable, though not quite what we were hoping.  This season, however, has reached a disaster level that makes Archie look like Coach of the Year.

My main point though is that you are being unfair to Crean.  

Crean was the guy IU needed his first couple years, more for his energy rather than his coaching ability. By the time he was let go, it was obvious that he had taken IU as far as he was going to. His in-game coaching, roster construction, substitution patterns, etc (all still issues under this current staff) left a lot to be desired.  I will admit that of the 3 coaches, Crean’s tenure had more positive moments. With that said, I still don’t think IU should ever have to settle for these types of coaches.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

10 wins is a higher number than I am envisioning.  

• Like 1