High School Hoops '21-'22

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Let's just cut to the chase. You honestly think thats a better route? A one class system. 

I don't know...I asked why attendance had declined and you said it hadn't...when I presented evidence to the contrary, you act like I have an agenda...I don't...

I grew up in Martinsville, which had a rich basketball tradition...Glenn Curtis won 3 state championships there...John Wooden played there...

My junior and senior years, we went to the regional finals and got beat both times...we had Jerry Sichsting on that team, and were coached by Sam Alford...

All I'm saying is, I know the Glenn Curtis Memorial Gym was always packed...I wonder if Martinsville still draws that kind of crowd...and if not, why?

The thing today with the tournament teams have to travel a lot farther earlier in the tournament.  Before your sectional was teams in your area. We played in New Castle with mainly Henry county teams.   The three years we won the sectional in class basketball we played in Alexandria which is around an hour drive and none of the other teams was in our area.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I go to the HOF classic in New Castle starting around 90-91. Back then the fieldhouse was completely full.  Today they are lucky to get 4K which is less than half full

When Silver Creek played there, the two best crowds were Heritage Hills and Silver Creek, the two 3A schools.  If Lafayette Jeff.  and especially Lawrence Central, had attended the same as the other two, it would have been a lot better crowd.  

And, that was a tournament that had, at a minimum of 6 players on D1 rosters this year (Pack, Dre Davis, Barnhizer, Kaufman, Jacobi, and Sisley).  

In addition to schools not supporting their team, casual fans aren't attending events like this.  I applaud you for doing so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing today with the tournament teams have to travel a lot farther earlier in the tournament.  Before your sectional was teams in your area. We played in New Castle with mainly Henry county teams.   The three years we won the sectional in class basketball we played in Alexandria which is around an hour drive and none of the other teams was in our area.

Again, Waldron fans did not care that Jeffersonville was 2 hours from them earlier today.  They still turned out in droves.    

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The article I cited mentions that...regional rivalries today aren't what they were then...

I laughed when you guys were talking about how bad the radio broadcasts for your school is...

You need a Shirley Burpo...EVERY small town needs a Shirley Burpo...I'm hoping some of the other Artesians chime in here...

Edited by IUFLA

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

When Silver Creek played there, the two best crowds were Heritage Hills and Silver Creek, the two 3A schools.  If Lafayette Jeff.  and especially Lawrence Central, had attended the same as the other two, it would have been a lot better crowd.  

And, that was a tournament that had, at a minimum of 6 players on D1 rosters this year (Pack, Dre Davis, Barnhizer, Kaufman, Jacobi, and Sisley).  

In addition to schools not supporting their team, casual fans aren't attending events like this.  I applaud you for doing so.

I was there and sitting about one section from the Silver Creek section.  If I remember correctly they had to take one fan out who looked like they were having a seizure.

The first one I went to had Glenn Robinson and Gary Roosevelt. Also had Mt. Vernon, Southport and Martinsville.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...I asked why attendance had declined and you said it hadn't...when I presented evidence to the contrary, you act like I have an agenda...I don't...

I grew up in Martinsville, which had a rich basketball tradition...Glenn Curtis won 3 state championships there...John Wooden played there...

My junior and senior years, we went to the regional finals and got beat both times...we had Jerry Sichsting on that team, and were coached by Sam Alford...

All I'm saying is, I know the Glenn Curtis Memorial Gym was always packed...I wonder if Martinsville still draws that kind of crowd...and if not, why?

Attendance has declined.  But, his original post referenced 'financial', not attendance.  

We need to face it.  The state tournament peaked with Damon.  It went into decline immediately after that, and that was still several years before class basketball.  No one will ever duplicate what he did for the sport in this state.  

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Again, Waldron fans did not care that Jeffersonville was 2 hours from them earlier today.  They still turned out in droves.    

That is for a semi state which you always traveled some what for the semi state.  I am talking teams having to drive a couple hours for a sectional game.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I have no idea. 

I have no interest in watching a 1A team play a 4A team in a playoff. I dont want to watch Hanover College play Duke, either. 

I get why it was so cool back in the day. But there wasnt nearly the disparity in school enrollment as there is now. Like the top wasnt as far from the bottom. Theres also over 400 schools in the IHSAA now. 

Hamilton SE was a country school at point, and now has 3K+ and literally split itself into two 6As. 

But, ultimately, do you have kids this effects? Or? I'm just curious why two older guys care so much about a basketball system. 

Coaches want class basketball. I've never heard a coach bring up to me they wish we could go to back to one class. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Aren't these events streamed? 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Attendance has declined.  But, his original post referenced 'financial', not attendance.  

We need to face it.  The state tournament peaked with Damon.  It went into decline immediately after that, and that was still several years before class basketball.  No one will ever duplicate what he did for the sport in this state.  

That tournament was in tbe RCA Dome with 40,000 people

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You're right. But, Romeo came damn close. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I have no idea. 

I have no interest in watching a 1A team play a 4A team in a playoff. I dont want to watch Hanover College play Duke, either. 

I get why it was so cool back in the day. But there wasnt nearly the disparity in school enrollment as there is now. Like the top wasnt as far from the bottom. Theres also over 400 schools in the IHSAA now. 

Hamilton SE was a country school at point, and now has 3K+ and literally split itself into two 6As. 

But, ultimately, do you have kids this effects? Or? I'm just curious why two older guys care so much about a basketball system. 

Coaches want class basketball. I've never heard a coach bring up to me they wish we could go to back to one class. 

Before consolidation in the smaller communities the discrepancy was a lot more.  Until 1970 my town of 1000 had their own high school and all small communities had their own. We consolidated with Knightstown and a few other small communities. We were in Rush county but did not go with Rushville likr all the other Rush county schools.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have no idea. 

Because I love Indiana basketball and miss what made High School basketball so great in Indiana.  Are older guys not allowed to like high sports or have an opinion on them.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Aren't these events streamed? 

I don't know if that was or not.  But, a trip to the HOF Classic is worth it just to see the HOF.  The right matchup pops up in the next few years and I will probably go again, even if SC is not in it.

The HOF itself is amazing.

Oh.  And, I'm an 'old' guy to, so watch what you say.  :D  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Holy poop, we ALL want incredible atmospheres at HS basketball games. 

We can just recognize that you first have to make the playing field reasonably fair. 

The way it stands now you have to win 6 or 7 games to win a title, that's plenty. 

In the one class you had to win 8 or 9 so not that much difference

Just now, 5fouls said:

I don't know if that was or not.  But, a trip to the HOF Classic is worth it just to see the HOF.  The right matchup pops up in the next few years and I will probably go again, even if SC is not in it.

I'm saying, it's simply reasonable to believe, until we see any sort of data.. 

That the ability to stream these games deters some people from going. Its simply easier to stay home. During football season I get 5 texts a week asking if the game that Friday will be streamed. 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Romeo did for the Southern part of the state,  Unfortunately for him, he also played when the IU program was in decline.  Damon had the playing at the peak of IU popularity.  

Right. I get that Damon was much, much bigger. 

But, the Seymour paper did an article after he graduated HS and they couldnt put a total on what Romeo had made Seymour in 4 sectional 4 regionals and 2 semi states. It was astronomical. 

I don't think theres been many that could replicate Romeo's following and obviously not Damons. Damon Bailey and his son Brayton are GREAT people btw, I coached against Brayton a lot while he was growing up, what a great kid.

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I lived like 20 minutes from the HOF and only been to the actual HOF once.  Also if you are in the area go to Knightstown to see the Hoosier Gym the home court of the Hickory Huskers.  For me it is not a huge deal because we practiced in that gym before it became famous. It was during my freshman year they filmed the movie there and was able to go one day of filming.