High School Hoops '21-'22

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

You think Smith will be ready for that role as a freshman? I'd be shocked if a grad transfer wasn't a major part of the picture next year for you guys.

That is a real possibility.  
what if Edey goes pro too?  
then you are looking for Brunk or Durr type to play some minutes 

I guarantee if Smith gets in the weight room he is stronger than IT or KL.  
Purdue PG needs to break Iowa press and make the open 3.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

That is a real possibility.  
what if Edey goes pro too?  
then you are looking for Brunk or Durr type to play some minutes 

I guarantee if Smith gets in the weight room he is stronger than IT or KL.  
Purdue PG needs to break Iowa press and make the open 3.  

No offense but what is Edey going pro in? None of the other bigs from PU have done much. Overseas maybe??

22 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

IMO Edey skill set does not translate well to the NBA

He can't guard the pick n roll against IU....geez if Woody exploited that the rest of the NBA will. That said Taco Falls is in the NBA.....I doubt he goes pro. Play 4 years get your degree and go play in Europe....live a nice life eating baguettes and marry a nice French girl....retire in a nice little Mediterranean fishing village. Sounds pretty good to me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He can't guard the pick n roll against IU....geez if Woody exploited that the rest of the NBA will. That said Taco Falls is in the NBA.....I doubt he goes pro. Play 4 years get your degree and go play in Europe....live a nice life eating baguettes and marry a nice French girl....retire in a nice little Mediterranean fishing village. Sounds pretty good to me.

Purdue refused to give up an open 3 but let PG get downhill the entire first half 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Purdue refused to give up an open 3 but let PG get downhill the entire first half 

Next game will be very different. Painter is pretty good with adjustments...even the second half was better for you guys to a certain extent. I think you will go under the screen instead of trying to hedge and get back....and continue to double the post. We won't shoot that well again from 3.

7 hours ago, landrus13 said:

I think simply a delay of game warning on the offense suffices. Just put it at the officials discretion (let’s be real just passing it back and forth or drinking to 3pt line and returning isn’t likely to work)…..fact is we all know it when we see it….just let official decide like in soccer your wasting time. Basically that if they do not initiate offense first time he will give a warning to the coach and after the warning he will start a five second count in the future. Basically leave it to the discretion of the official. Once you have that you can decide if it’s just a turnover over in my opinion a better option would simply be a technical foul. Just add it to the delay of game rule…like taking the ball out of net or knocking it away from other team after a made basket etc. There doesn’t have to be any special specific rule for initiating offense as someone will always figure a way around the rules…so just let the head official decide if teams are playing by the intent of the rules…warn first time…if it happens again…tech on the coach.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think simply a delay of game warning on the offense suffices. Just put it at the officials discretion (let’s be real just passing it back and forth or drinking to 3pt line and returning isn’t likely to work)…..fact is we all know it when we see it….just let official decide like in soccer your wasting time. Basically that if they do not initiate offense first time he will give a warning to the coach and after the warning he will start a five second count in the future. Basically leave it to the discretion of the official. Once you have that you can decide if it’s just a turnover over in my opinion a better option would simply be a technical foul. Just add it to the delay of game rule…like taking the ball out of net or knocking it away from other team after a made basket etc. There doesn’t have to be any special specific rule for initiating offense as someone will always figure a way around the rules…so just let the head official decide if teams are playing by the intent of the rules…warn first time…if it happens again…tech on the coach.

Pardon me, but "the official's discretion" has bad written all over it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rico said:

Pardon me, but "the official's discretion" has bad written all over it.

Lots of rules are officials discretion. Almost all are interpretation. Fact is we “know it when we see it” is perfectly fine. Besides they give a warning…letting the official give a warning is plenty enough and if you aren’t trying to stale you should never run into an issue. Literally anything short of a shot clock has the ability to be worked around and as he pointed out lots of issues with implementing a shot clock as high school ball already has less possessions and the costs.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Lots of rules are officials discretion. Almost all are interpretation. Fact is we “know it when we see it” is perfectly fine. Besides they give a warning…letting the official give a warning is plenty enough and if you aren’t trying to stale you should never run into an issue. Literally anything short of a shot clock has the ability to be worked around and as he pointed out lots of issues with implementing a shot clock as high school ball already has less possessions and the costs.

At what point is a team allowed to hold the ball for the last shot?

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

At what point is a team allowed to hold the ball for the last shot?

8 mins left in the quarter? It’s what we have now lol.

I’d say last minute would be fine. Team behind or tied will likely pressure. It’s not a common tactic so it isn’t like a rule change would radically change the game or be hard to change back if it’s ineffective. A shot clock would be radically more expensive and have a much more bigger impact on the game for HS.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1