High School Hoops '21-'22

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Before consolidation in the smaller communities the discrepancy was a lot more.  Until 1970 my town of 1000 had their own high school and all small communities had their own. We consolidated with Knightstown and a few other small communities. We were in Rush county but did not go with Rushville likr all the other Rush county schools.

There are still 150 more schools in the IHSAA now compared to the mid 70s. 

Edit: I misspoke here. There are 150 more D1 schools now compared to 1975. 

Edited by btownqb

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm saying, it's simply reasonable to believe, until we see any sort of data.. 

That the ability to stream these games deters some people from going. Its simply easier to stay home. During football season I get 5 texts a week asking if the game that Friday will be streamed. 🤷‍♂️

The HOF games are shown on local Indianapolis station and they have always have been televised

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. I get that Damon was much, much bigger. 

But, the Seymour paper did an article after he graduated HS and they couldnt put a total on what he had made them in 4 sectional 4 regionals and 2 semi states. 

I don't think theres been many that could replicate Romeo's following and obviously not Damons. Damon Bailey and his son Brayton are GREAT people btw, I coached against Brayton a lot while he was growing up, what a great kid.

Did Brayton go anywhere to play in college?

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The HOF games are shown on local Indianapolis station and they have always have been televised

They shouldn't do that.  Again, Scott, I applaud you for going on a regular basis.  You are a heckuva basketball fan.  

I just disagree with you about class basketball though.  :D

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There are still 150 more schools in the IHSAA now compared to the mid 70s. 

Like my small town Carthage when they had a high school each class was like 25 kids.  With that they competed and actually beat Rushville a few times.  Actually my brother was almost born at the Rushville gym during a game.  My mom went into labor but the doctor was at the game as well and they waited until after the game to go to the hospital.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

They shouldn't do that.  Again, Scott, I applaud you for going on a regular basis.  You are a heckuva basketball fan.  

I just disagree with you about class basketball though.  :D

They showed those games back in the 90's and still got a full house.  I just think people don't want to get out and watch games in person anymore.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Like my small town Carthage when they had a high school each class was like 25 kids.  With that they competed and actually beat Rushville a few times.  Actually my brother was sl.ody born at the Rushville gym during a game.  My mom went into labor but the doctor was at the game as well and they waited until after the game to go to the hospital.

There are still really small schools with charter schools popping up every day. Theres always been really small schools... they can only get so small. 

The bigger schools keep adding. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They showed those games back in the 90's and still got a full house.  I just think people don't want to get out and watch games in person anymore.

5fouls wouldnt have been able to watch that, neither would have I, in the house I grew up in. 

We can stream it though. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Why would 1 class basketball change that? 

Probably wouldn't and that is not why I said I prefer one class basketball.  There are more things to do and I think the students and even the people of the town just doesn't support high school sports like they use to. In Hoosiers they showed the bus with all of those cats behind them traveling to a road game was what really happened back then.

• Like 1

I know we had 8 teams in the New Castle sectional with 2 games on Tues and Wednesday. Then two on Friday and the championship on Saturday. I know that all sessions use to be full and they brought extra seats on st the top of the fieldhouse. Most schools went to all the sessions even after their team was eliminated.

Edited by IU Scott

I will say this.  Bad high school basketball teams are worse than they were when I was in high school.  And, good basketball teams are better than they were when I was in high school.  When I was in school, 30 points was a blowout, even if it was big school versus small school.  Now, we see games with 60-70 point margins from schools IN THE SAME CLASS.

Can you imagine the margins if a good 4A team got hold of a bad 1A team in today's environment?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why would 1 class basketball change that? 

It wouldn't.  As a kid New Albany and Jeff were making deep runs and going to the final four.  We were Silver Creek people but still, tons of people went from the area to go cheer for them.  Now I live 35 mins from downtown and still didn't go see my old school in the daggone championship either time.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Probably wouldn't and that is not why I said I prefer one class basketball.  There are more things to do and I think the students and even the people of the town just doesn't support high school sports like they use to. In Hoosiers they showed the bus with all of those cats behind them traveling to a road game was what really happened back then.

Silver Creek cheerleaders rarely go to an away game these days.  They will for New Albany, Jeffersonville, or Charlestown.  But, if we go to Seymour?  Ain't happening.  Chatard didn't bring cheerleaders to the semi-state game today.

And, while I wasn't at all of our boy's home games this year, I have been to several.  And, I think the band has been there maybe twice.  The band is a critical component in the atmosphere for a high school game.  Loved it when Rushville brought their band to the 3A girls regional last week.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Silver Creek cheerleaders rarely go to an away game these days.  They will for New Albany, Jeffersonville, or Charlestown.  But, if we go to Seymour?  Ain't happening.  Chatard didn't bring cheerleaders to the semi-state game today.

And, while I wasn't at all of our boy's home games this year, I have been to several.  And, I think the band has been there maybe twice.  The band is a critical component in the atmosphere for a high school game.  Loved it when Rushville brought their band to the 3A girls regional last week.  

Why don't the band play any longer. 

I remember the year that Rushville went to the final four they played the lady regular season game at Knightstown. The place holds like 2500 and it was standing room only.  It was a real close game and we beat them 

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bands are essential. I coached at Jenn Co for 3 years and our atmosphere would lose so much when the band couldn't perform. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

That is why I love the high school and college basketball over the NBA.  The atmosphere makes for a great environment and for me a better game.

I haven't watched 2 minutes of NBA this year.  I just can't.  Don't watch much college anymore either.  But, I'll still make time for a good Big Ten game if I can.  

• Like 1

Here are the early computerized projections for next week's Girl's State Championship games.  There seems to be a lack of evenly matched contests.  

If you are a geography buff, you'll make note that the team representing the North part of the state is predicted to win all 4 games.  

image.png.9556fa0254863c0b543fac36538aba38.png

Edited by 5fouls