'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yet the sky is falling when we lose on the road 

It's true that college basketball fans, ourselves included, place far too much emphasis on the results of single games. Talent across the country is flatter than ever, and college kids are going to be up and down. Losses like this happen.

But the sky isn't falling because of one loss on the road. We're tracking to miss the tournament because there haven't been enough wins against quality teams. Kansas can shrug off a loss to UCF because they have wins over Kentucky, Tennessee and UConn this season. Our best win is either on the road against a flailing Michigan team, or a home game against Ohio St. Our margin for error just isn't the same. Without a Quad 1 win at all, we need all the Quad 2 victories we can get. Rutgers was a fine opporunitiy for another, a team worse than UCF, and we squandered it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Kansas loses at unranked UCF. College basketball is drunk and it keeps asking for another round. Zero predictability in anything. Add Tennessee in losing in Starksville. I'll say what I said last night. Get in the tourney somehow and get hot. That's the winner.

F'in Kansas lost me my 6 leg parlay. I called the Tennessee loss, and Louisville over Miami. $5 bet woulda been a decent payout. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

It's true that college basketball fans, ourselves included, place far too much emphasis on the results of single games. Talent across the country is flatter than ever, and college kids are going to be up and down. Losses like this happen.

But the sky isn't falling because of one loss on the road. We're tracking to miss the tournament because there haven't been enough wins against quality teams. Kansas can shrug off a loss to UCF because they have wins over Kentucky, Tennessee and UConn this season. Our best win is either on the road against a flailing Michigan team, or a home game against Ohio St. Our margin for error just isn't the same. Without a Quad 1 win at all, we need all the Quad 2 victories we can get. Rutgers was a fine opporunitiy for another, a team worse than UCF, and we squandered it.

I do understand what you're saying, but I look at it like this...

I understand tracking our progress toward selection Sunday is fun for some... Metrics are fine... Verification of the past, but simply an indicator of the future...we play the games to really see...

If we win enough games, we don't have to worry about it...If we're sitting there on selection Sunday biting our nails because our chances hinge on something some stat geek formulated, then we probably don't deserve to go anyway...

I know some will argue that we got in in 2022 because of metrics, and that's probably true... But the whipping we took when we faced a real tournament team in St Mary's only validated my feeling that we weren't a serious contender... I mean, you always have a chance if you get in (NC State 83 comes to mind) but had we not gotten in, well, we had our chances...

Same this year... We'll have are chances... If we don't get in, the first glance should be in the mirror, not at a stat sheet... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

I’m with you @Maedhros.

Get good and this all goes away. Right now IUMBB is not good enough. Pretend and hope all you want. It’s a crayon drawing of a pipe dream at this point unless something magical happens. This season is what it is.

Those of us “complaining” aren’t negative people because we want better and are vocal about issues we see. We would all much rather be discussing seeding predictions for the B1G and NCAA tournament. Incoming and outgoing players and how that’s going to affect the followings seasons. But here we are at ground zero once again with an uncertain trajectory.

It’s not just this board folks, it’s every board and social media platform. It’s fans, sporting news and beat writers seeing and pointing out the same issues.

At this point, there is no win one game and all this goes away and ‘boy you pessimistic people looked silly complaining about that loss last week.’

We likely aren’t making the NCAA tourney. We aren’t even considered first four out. I think the writing is on the wall for the players as well. If you’re good, you know it and own it. Beat downs from good teams has drained the pre season hype machine.

Yesterday a group of us carpooled to a meeting out of town. The vehicle I was in had 3 IU alum and one Wisconsin alum. All agreeing how bad the basketball team is and excited about the hype around the football team.

The sky isn’t falling, as some have jokingly said, because of one road loss. Just like a rebound win at home doesn’t fix the season. It’s the bigger picture looking ahead that most folks are concerned about.

• Like 3

FWIW, I think this has been a bad season, and is unlikely to result in a NCAA Tournament bid, but also that coaches are allowed to have bad seasons.

Same as we talk about players learning from a loss, a staff can learn from a roster that doesn't come together. Conference luminaries such as Painter and Izzo have talked about lessons they've had to learn. Woodson is older, but he's our coach until he's not. We can quibble about the degree to which his first two seasons have been a considered a success, but even if you have long term concerns, Woodson has earned some runway to get things figured out.

That said, it also explains why I'm as concerned with recruiting trends, and what we'll need to accomplish in the portal season, as I am with what's happening on the court.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 2