2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

Most of those trades you guys are listing came before the Reds and Cards were in the same division.  And all, except for the Austin Romine trade today (a seriously who cares move) were before the Cueto brawl,  The two organizations don't like or trust each other.   

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Most of those trades you guys are listing came before the Reds and Cards were in the same division.  And all, except for the Austin Romine trade today (a seriously who cares move) were before the Cueto brawl,  The two organizations don't like or trust each other.   

Walt Jocketty.  Is that you?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Which division is worse, AL Central or NL Central? The Twins have the fewest wins of any division leader, but the Cubs are in 3rd right now and would be last in any other division. 

Reds win and Cubbies down 5-0 to Cards.  Reds will move into 3rd place with Chicago loss.   😁

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

Reds beat the Marlins 2-1. Ashcraft pitched 8.1 innings tonight giving up 1 unearned run. The save was by another rookie in Diaz.

I'm the last 3 games all started by rookies. 

Lodollo 6 innings 1 run 

Green 6 innings 0 runs 

Ashcraft 8.1 innings 1 unearned run 

Since the 3-22 start the Reds are 39-39

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds beat the Marlins 2-1. Ashcraft pitched 8.1 innings tonight giving up 1 unearned run. The save was by another rookie in Diaz.

I'm the last 3 games all started by rookies. 

Lodollo 6 innings 1 run 

Green 6 innings 0 runs 

Ashcraft 8.1 innings 1 unearned run 

Since the 3-22 start the Reds are 39-39

Let's hope the trades produce some GOOD everyday players.

Edited by jv1972iu

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Still blows my mind that Cueto never apologized to LaRue. 

6 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Vin Scully has died at the age of 94.  RIP, sir.

Just now, IUFLA said:

RIP Vin, you were the best... 

A voice that made baseball even more special than it already was.  Hearing him call games will forever be part of my baseball memories.  

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder why the Orioles btraded their starting 1B and closer when they are only a couple games out of the wild card.

Loser: Orioles fans

The Orioles went 16-9 in July and it was their best, most exciting month in more than half a decade. The team is on the rise and they play very hard, and going into deadline day, they were only 2 1/2 games behind the third and final American League wild card spot. Maybe buying aggressively would have been a bad idea. But selling? Selling???

With his team playing its best baseball in years, GM Mike Elias threw in the towel. Here's what Elias told reporters, including MLB.com, after trading away homegrown favorite and feel-great story Trey Mancini. All-Star closer Jorge López was later traded away as well:

"I think the .500 record we have, the winning last couple of months that we have, the momentum we have, has made this a much more difficult decision and a much more complicated Trade Deadline than it would've been, or that any of the past ones have been," Elias added. "But ultimately, I have to tether my decisions to the outlook and the probabilities of this year. We have a shot at a Wild Card right now, but it is not a probability that we're going to win a Wild Card. We have all different ways of looking at that. And moves that we make that can strengthen our chances for next season and the season beyond and the one beyond that are something that we have to continue to consider, despite the tremendous progress our players have made this year."  

To be clear, "strengthen our chances for next season" involved trading for a pitching prospect about to have Tommy John surgery (Seth Johnson), two Single-A prospects (Chayce McDermott and Cade Povich), and two rookie ball prospects (Juan Rojas and Juan Nunez). One player in the Mancini and Lopez trades, 28-year-old rookie reliever Yennier Cano, has a chance to help the 2023 Orioles in a meaningful way. Elias punted 2022 to (maybe) help the 2024 Orioles.

The third wild card spot was supposed to increase competition (or so we were told) and yet here is an on-the-rise Orioles team trading away its best players at a time when every win added to the roster is enormously valuable. Not everything in this game is an asset that must be micromanaged and leveraged to the fullest extent at all times. It's baseball, not an actuarial table. There are human beings involved, and rather than further encourage the good vibes, the O's front office snuffed them out.

"I mean, just, it sucks," Ryan Mountcastle told MLB.com after the Mancini trade. " … It's going to be tough without him. And I know a lot of us are pretty upset."

Maybe it'll all work out and the 2022 Orioles will win without Mancini and López, and the 2023 Orioles without López. I still feel for Orioles fans. The team is good and fun for the first time in a long time, and rather than try to take a step forward, the front office is again taking a step back. The franchise's short-term future, which is looking up for the first time in years, was again sacrificed at the altar of improved margins. There's a fine line between being cold and calculating, and disenfranchising your fans.