Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Its not like you guys are getting stomped.  2 last second field goals and a close northwestern game.  Being in the west you might get lucky and finish better than 2-10

Agreed. That’s what sucked so much about the Hazell era. We’d get stomped all the time. I feel like the average margin of defeat was 3+ touchdowns easily. 

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not like it matters now but the Big Ten confirmed that they didn’t have enough evidence to overrule the original call on the field. 

It mattered little then. If the TD counted Mizzu still drives the length of the field and punches it in for a game winning TD instead of sandbagging to drain the clock

9 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

It mattered little then. If the TD counted Mizzu still drives the length of the field and punches it in for a game winning TD instead of sandbagging to drain the clock

It's certainly possible but far from a certainty like you're implying.  They would've been down 4 and could've made a mistake.  Regardless, we'll never know because the officials messed up. The head official actually messed up a Purdue game back in 2002 and was removed from officiating in the B1G.  Not sure how he made his way back into the conference to be quite honest.

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It's certainly possible but far from a certainty like you're implying.  They would've been down 4 and could've made a mistake.  Regardless, we'll never know because the officials messed up. The head official actually messed up a Purdue game back in 2002 and was removed from officiating in the B1G.  Not sure how he made his way back into the conference to be quite honest.

They may have messed up the replay, but if you want to play that game, they messed up the initial call. It wasn't a catch. Justice was done.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I find it amusing that Purdue fans would still know the name of an official who made mistakes in a non-conference game 16 years ago. I guess it's just part of the inferiority complex they're now nationally-known for.

Or someone saw the name of the ref that blew the call, did a simple google search, and found an article that mentioned the game back in 2002 and made the connection.  There was an article on Hammer and Rails or Boiled Sports about it.  Pretty easy to find that information.

42 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Or someone saw the name of the ref that blew the call, did a simple google search, and found an article that mentioned the game back in 2002 and made the connection.  There was an article on Hammer and Rails or Boiled Sports about it.  Pretty easy to find that information.

The "Jim Bain Fan Club" attests to that.

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I find it amusing that Purdue fans would still know the name of an official who made mistakes in a non-conference game 16 years ago. I guess it's just part of the inferiority complex they're now nationally-known for.

Hmmmm.  Ted Valentine anyone...  careful what stones you throw. LOL

Archived