Fred Glass

I just read an article that Fred Glass was talking about the kind of player Coach Miller needs to recruit. I agree with the type of hard nosed player he says we need to recruit,but the truth is. We need Big Ten wins to turn this thing around! Same with IU Football win more Big Ten games! 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think the AD should publicly state who he thinks the coach should recruit.  If you want to talk to him about it behind closed doors, okay.  But, to say it publicly?  What if Archie does not agree with that approach?

Bingo.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Bingo.

They better be on the same page because if Archie doesn’t come through Glass will not be choosing the next head basketball coach at IU. I think we can all agree on that. I think the best thing is to get out of the way and let Archie do his thing and do your best to take the pressure off him so recruits feel confident Archie will get a full chance to turn this around.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They better be on the same page because if Archie doesn’t come through Glass will not be choosing the next head basketball coach at IU. I think we can all agree on that. I think the best thing is to get out of the way and let Archie do his thing and do your best to take the pressure off him so recruits feel confident Archie will get a full chance to turn this around.

The way I see it, Archie needs a break thru season and just maybe Fred will keep his damn mouth shut.

This is especially ironic considering Glass has turned IU athletics into one of the softest programs in the country.  The “student athlete bill of rights,” firing Kevin Wilson for being a big meanie, the basketball program’s “progressive” concussion protocol, allegedly preventing Archie from making changes to the roster, etc., etc.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is especially ironic considering Glass has turned IU athletics into one of the softest programs in the country.  The “student athlete bill of rights,” firing Kevin Wilson for being a big meanie, the basketball program’s “progressive” concussion protocol, allegedly preventing Archie from making changes to the roster, etc., etc.

This is not an unfair statement.

That being said, Glass may well have been parroting what Archie already told him privately.  Based on what I've heard thus far, Glass was likely simply agreeing and restating Archie's own recruiting strategy.

...but yeah...I have to wonder how Knight and Glass would have gotten along...

48 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Heaven forbid people’s health is taken seriously. 

10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The first thing that crossed my mind was the  -alleged-  requirement that CAM retain the incoming recruits from the Crean regime.  I don't think two of those guys fit anywhere near what Glass is calling for, and an argument could be made against all 3 (IMO Al is the exception).

10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The student bill of right thing is blown way out of proportion if you ask me.  All this does is guarantee a player a scholarship for 4 years but does not guarantee a roster spot.  It was mainly put in place if a kid has a career ending injury and if he does then he and his family knows he can still attend the school.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The student bill of right thing is blown way out of proportion if you ask me.  All this does is guarantee a player a scholarship for 4 years but does not guarantee a roster spot.  It was mainly put in place if a kid has a career ending injury and if he does then he and his family knows he can still attend the school.

I don’t think it has much of an impact on anything either, but it’s just one more indicator of an athletic department that’s more concerned with being viewed as “progressive” than actually winning.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don’t think it has much of an impact on anything either, but it’s just one more indicator of an athletic department that’s more concerned with being viewed as “progressive” than actually winning.

Well the first thing they should be worried about is the well being of their student athletes which comes before winning.  I think some people look at athletes as just robots who are out there for our entertainment and don't think about that they have actual lives outside of their sports.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well the first thing they should be worried about is the well being of their student athletes which comes before winning.  I think some people look at athletes as just robots who are out there for our entertainment and don't think about that they have actual lives outside of their sports.

Glad to hear you’ve come around on letting them get paid.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I am not and have not been impressed by Mr. Glass. The icing on the cake for me was extending Crean, extending Wilson then firing him and not playing the NIT game at home any not being truthful about the reason why. 

IMO, the most damning thing was abruptly firing Wilson and then hiring Allen without conducting any kind of coaching search.  This amounts to derelict of duty.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I am not and have not been impressed by Mr. Glass. The icing on the cake for me was extending Crean, extending Wilson then firing him and not playing the NIT game at home any not being truthful about the reason why. 

Gonna counter this. WIth some thoughts. Wilson had issues from the day he arrived on campus. Shortly thereafter.  One was serious.  Involved the Indiana State Police.  Mr. Glass, being an attorney,  worked on Kevin's behalf, to avoid any record. Based on agreement, that Mr. Glass would work with Coach Wilson, on his issues, by attending classes. Which Coach Wilson to his credit fulfilled . It was a completely different issue which caused Mr. Glass to let Coach Wilson go. And by all accounts that I learned.... totally justified.

In terms of Coach Crean. Let us not forget what he did for IU.  Some say he was extended too soon. However, IU was working on probation, and had lost scholarships. Even volunteered to give one up due to low APR scores caused by Sampson's miscreant who failed to go to class. And raked up something like 17 to 19 F's ( I forget which) Crean made sure Sampsongate did not crop up. And improved the APR, early on, while taking IU to a sweet 16.

No doubt in my mind. Coach Crean got burned out at the end. And I hold some fans responsible for this. And can understand the reason why. Crean's daughter had to sit in a class where the professor berated her father in front of the entire class. And Crean's wife got to the point where she stopped attending games. I was ready for a change. And can only think that Coach Crean and his family were ready as well.

Not playing the NIT game, is something that still sticks in my craw.  However, a refresher as to what was going on at that time, gives some understanding behind the decision.

Having said all that.  I would rather have an administrator who is in my corner, from the beginning, than not.  And that's what Mr. Glass did with both Crean and Glass.  He gave them both a chance.  It was different circumstances that in the end caused Mr. Glass to pull the plug on both coaches. 

Archived