Weather events

Reacher

24 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Finally started snowing here an hour ago, but this is why I always take the apocalyptic snowfall predictions with a grain of salt. Monday afternoon, my most trusted weather source had my area getting 18-20 inches. Yesterday morning, it changed to 12-16. By last night, it was down to 8-12. As of this afternoon, it's now 6-10. 

18-20 just doesn't happen here, ever. For some reason, it always gets warm before a storm arrives. We couldn't get out of the teens for the past week and out of nowhere we hit 50 degrees yesterday. 

I live by North Manchester where they were predicting 15 to 20 inches, we probably have about 7 or 8 though. They are never right about their predictions lol.

We haven't had hardly any this year until now.

Edited by Hoosier51

40 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Finally started snowing here an hour ago, but this is why I always take the apocalyptic snowfall predictions with a grain of salt. Monday afternoon, my most trusted weather source had my area getting 18-20 inches. Yesterday morning, it changed to 12-16. By last night, it was down to 8-12. As of this afternoon, it's now 6-10. 

18-20 just doesn't happen here, ever. For some reason, it always gets warm before a storm arrives. We couldn't get out of the teens for the past week and out of nowhere we hit 50 degrees yesterday. 

This could explain why temps rise before a cold front. It's from Texas but don't see why it wouldn't be applicable anywhere. 

Compressional heating: Why temperatures warm before they cool

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To your point, it's 71 here right now...down to 29 by tomorrow night...

Screenshot_20220202-171602.thumb.png.6a9b46dbbe0edb83cae874dcbef8c1b0.png

There is a bit of discussion on meteorologists and their predictive abilities.  The guy pointing at the green screen is more of an actor probably.

But a good amount of chemistry and physics is used to understand our weather systems, although predicting anything in the future is a coin flip. 

People who crap on meteorologists for getting it wrong quit science after 8th grade. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Surely to God our Indiana state Police aren't putting out trash like that?  Ive lost all respect, of the tiny amount that I had, if that is truly from them.  

Believe it or not they are. That's how dumb our population has become.  

Equilibrium theory states when an inflection point is found we are all retarded. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Believe it or not they are. That's how dumb our population has become.  

Equilibrium theory states when an inflection point is found we are all retarded. 

I believe that because I know from personal experience how dumb I am and then I look around and can tell it's way worse around me.  😂 We are screwed

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Toughest decision today is when do I do my first round of shoveling. 2 or 3 rounds or 1 big one later tonight? Hope everyone is safe here in the Midwest! 

I did a little plowing and shoveling last night just to keep busy, but I think I'm going to wait on round two until tonight or in the morning since nobody can really go anywhere right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Toughest decision today is when do I do my first round of shoveling. 2 or 3 rounds or 1 big one later tonight? Hope everyone is safe here in the Midwest! 

I shoveled the drifts by front porch so my dog can have a clear path to do his business, but otherwise I'm planning on this evening. I live in the country so wide open fields around me...30 mph winds has caused lots of drifting on our property.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I shoveled the drifts by front porch so my dog can have a clear path to do his business, but otherwise I'm planning on this evening. I live in the country so wide open fields around me...30 mph winds has caused lots of drifting on our property.

Also my experience is if clear it multiple times it can cause the drive to freeze over with ice from any melt or thin layer left behind...if the snow is left the ground layer is pretty insolated and stays warmer. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want to try to dig out all at once of a foot and half of snow so making it manageable is a good idea but if I don't have any place to go...I'll just wait and hit it up really good once it's finished off.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Also my experience is if clear it multiple times it can cause the drive to freeze over with ice from any melt or thin layer left behind...if the snow is left the ground layer is pretty insolated and stays warmer. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want to try to dig out all at once of a foot and half of snow so making it manageable is a good idea but if I don't have any place to go...I'll just wait and hit it up really good once it's finished off.

Or you could just send some of that Florida warmth our way and none of us will have to shovel today/tomorrow! :cheers:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Trust me. I have shoveled the grass by the patio for that very reason for our dog. Getting ready to do again. Any form of water whether rain or snow...he just stays inside.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. I have shoveled the grass by the patio for that very reason for our dog. Getting ready to do again. Any form of water whether rain or snow...he just stays inside.

Our dog used to like to play in the snow somewhat when he was a puppy/younger. He will turn 9 next month and he has absolutely no desire to walk through the snow anymore. We have a covered front porch and he will just stand there and stare at the snow and turn around and walk back in if it isn't an emergency. He has always hated rain.

He actually did go out with us for about 5-10 minutes yesterday when the kids were playing in the snow and did a little bit of playing in it, but then wanted back inside ha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Or you could just send some of that Florida warmth our way and none of us will have to shovel today/tomorrow! :cheers:

81 degrees at the moment.....ain't going to lie...pretty nice. I've always liked the seasons and weather changes....what I've never liked is the dreary weeks on end without seeing the sun up north....almost depressing and I'm appreciative of the sun for not having to deal with that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I remember one night listening to WLS out of Chicago, the DJ started a Frank Zappa song. It was late night and I have no clue what he was up to? It was a actually a decent song and then all of almost every other word was an F bomb!! It went on for a minute or more until you heard the screech of the needle sliding not so gracefully across the vinyl! 
Those were the days!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

81 degrees at the moment.....ain't going to lie...pretty nice. I've always liked the seasons and weather changes....what I've never liked is the dreary weeks on end without seeing the sun up north....almost depressing and I'm appreciative of the sun for not having to deal with that.

We were all down that way (Naples) a few weeks ago. I know the end game is there or near there....just wanting to hurry it up a bit!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, Parakeet Jones said:

For those of you in the Louisville television market, the Marc Weinberg Facebook live broadcasts he does before big storms are worth your time for both the entertainment and information. 

He is theatrical, that is for sure.  I remember him during the 2012 tornadoes.  He was caught somewhere between tears and pure hysteria.  

• Like 1