Weather events

Reacher

21 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Indiana has been quite a snow-hole this winter, and you can tell by the way everyone is reacting to the 2 inches of snow we got today: no school and everything getting cancelled. 

I can't imagine how these people would react if we ever got anything close to the Blizzard of '78. 

I got about 5-6"s on the ground here.  The wind has been moving it around pretty good.

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

cool 55 this morning in FL, acclimating me for my upcoming travels to VA and back home in IN.

Work trip to VA this week. Decided to drive 5 hours north and attend the Maryland game. first IU game in over 10 years. then Wiscy at assembly.

Glad to see it will be warming up to the upper 70s for my trip there next week. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Glad to see it will be warming up to the upper 70s for my trip there next week. 😎

My neighbors are taking their 4 year old to Disney this weekend. Didn't have the heart to tell them to check the forecast. Yes 50 and sunny is tons better than here but when you shell out the coin to go there in January you kind of want to feel the 70's at least. 

On 1/26/2022 at 11:31 AM, TheWatShot said:

Hilarious seeing teenagers on social media begging school administrators to cancel school because it's too cold out. 

I thought of you this morning. lol

Evidently quite a few parents were upset that FWCS didn't at least have a delay yesterday.  FWIW, Whitko was closed.  

Admittedly I'm a weather fan but first time I've ever heard the term frontogenesis band. It's being used to describe what's going to happen in Northeast today. I've seen forecasts ranging from 2 inches to 2 feet....that's how narrow that band is I guess. Be safe to our board members out there. Just glad IU is playing at Maryland and not Rutgers. Those airports might not be running on time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like a potentially big storm is coming to the Midwest this week. Tuesday night into Thursday. As always Indy is on the rain/snow line so keep an eye on things.

Here in the southern part of the state, we are looking at a potential of 1” of ice and snow Thursday morning and 1-3” snow Thursday evening. It’s definitely something to keep an eye on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

As of right now they are calling for 15-16 inches of snow where I am, about an hour north of Indy.

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

8-12 predicted for me. I can handle the snow,  but -2 on Friday night is too cold even for me. 

Where are you getting your weather info? Most meteorologists don't predict totals more than a couple days out. There are a lot of wannabe weathermen out there putting out bogus maps with insane totals. This happens with a lot of winter weather events. 

20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Where are you getting your weather info? Most meteorologists don't predict totals more than a couple days out. There are a lot of wannabe weathermen out there putting out bogus maps with insane totals. This happens with a lot of winter weather events. 

weather underground.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

18 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Weather underground and National Weather Service is what I check. 

31 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

8-12 predicted for me. I can handle the snow,  but -2 on Friday night is too cold even for me. 

Exactly. As long as I am not driving anywhere, I don't mind the snow too much, but the frigid cold bothers me now that I am getting older. -5 predicted here for low Friday night.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

Finally started snowing here an hour ago, but this is why I always take the apocalyptic snowfall predictions with a grain of salt. Monday afternoon, my most trusted weather source had my area getting 18-20 inches. Yesterday morning, it changed to 12-16. By last night, it was down to 8-12. As of this afternoon, it's now 6-10. 

18-20 just doesn't happen here, ever. For some reason, it always gets warm before a storm arrives. We couldn't get out of the teens for the past week and out of nowhere we hit 50 degrees yesterday. 

• Like 2