Weather events

Reacher

On 12/11/2021 at 11:10 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I'm going to post one more video because I find it interesting.  

Mayfield, KY seems to be similar to the town I grew up in. About 10,000 people with an immigrant population. 

Have seen multiple videos from the Mayfield factory where people say we just had a hurricane.  

I wonder if any of these people ever experienced a tornado. 

In the following video the kid says hurricane and corrects himself and says tornado. 

Can you imagine how terrifying it would be to not know what a tornado is? @3:03

My wife and I worked in Mayfield for several years when we lived in Paducah before moving a few years ago. Fortunate that all our friends are safe. We've had several tornados pass through there even in the short time I've lived in that area. Also, many of the worst storms come in the winter when such large temperature and such massive fronts meet up with artic cold and gulf warm wet ones. One even hit the HS there but of course nothing close to like the severity of that one. Just like a freight train a mile wide just bulldozed everything in it's way across the whole state. My prayers are with all those affected. I had met several people that worked at that candle factory. Just very hard working salt of the earth type people. Mayfield has been hit hard by the economy over the past several many years. First the Goodyear plant closing, then Remington factory, a paper plant in the are closed....it's a tough place to live. Honestly....I don't think it will ever recover fully from this. Can't believe anyone was saved from that plant. I know in these types of events people can see it both ways but I just say God is truly gracious that many lives were saved from that. Knowing many people I know hundreds are out there volunteering with their chainsaws and tractors to help their neighbors right now. In a country where some places are full of looting and ransacking stores etc....nothing like that will happen there. It's full of people helping, praying, and trying to do the right thing by each other. It has it's share of problem and is indeed a poor area of the country but my short time period living there is it's full of good honest people by and large.

• Like 2

Just to make a point in regards to the narrative that climate change is fueling the increase in tornadic activity and severity this is another case of agencies wanting more government funding changing data and manipulating it to make a problem seem worse. NOAH tells you that since the 90's tornadic activity has skyrocketed....well of course because before then we didn't have the technology to even track all the activity....then even more recently we started to change the definition of what a tornado was on these scales and started sending people out even when there was no structural damage to homes etc to count tornado damage to even uninhabited areas by measure tree and other things effected when no one even counted these things many years ago. So of course the numbers seem to skyrocket because now we have the technology to count everything that happens and nobody bothered to do so in the past going off those old newspaper records if no one was effected by it. Heck if we look at EF3 and more severe the numbers are actually going down. Don't get me wrong our weather and climate is always changing etc but to try to tie everything back to global warming is just getting old. Now we are finding out we have a bunch of cuckoo heads out there in California arsonists starting more and more fires....well maybe they are right about one thing....it's definitely man's fault for it!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Just to make a point in regards to the narrative that climate change is fueling the increase in tornadic activity and severity this is another case of agencies wanting more government funding changing data and manipulating it to make a problem seem worse. NOAH tells you that since the 90's tornadic activity has skyrocketed....well of course because before then we didn't have the technology to even track all the activity....then even more recently we started to change the definition of what a tornado was on these scales and started sending people out even when there was no structural damage to homes etc to count tornado damage to even uninhabited areas by measure tree and other things effected when no one even counted these things many years ago. So of course the numbers seem to skyrocket because now we have the technology to count everything that happens and nobody bothered to do so in the past going off those old newspaper records if no one was effected by it. Heck if we look at EF3 and more severe the numbers are actually going down. Don't get me wrong our weather and climate is always changing etc but to try to tie everything back to global warming is just getting old. Now we are finding out we have a bunch of cuckoo heads out there in California arsonists starting more and more fires....well maybe they are right about one thing....it's definitely man's fault for it!!

Anyone who thinks global warming is responsible for tornadoes in any capacity is foolish.  Like you said, technology plays a major role. Did they have amatuer weather spotters 30-40 years ago, or tornado chasers?  Or satellite images that are hi res? I remember watching channel 2 with those grainy radar images trying to track storms. 

They obviously have no understanding of the weather conditions that create tornadoes.

Fortunately they didn't come close enough but in 1990 I was at my Dad's house in Ireland, IN in the path when 2 F4 tornadoes passed through, one of which drilled Petersburg, and in 2005 was at USI when an F3 in November took out some trailer parks on the south side of the I-164 bypass. 

Have also seen a few funnel clouds, and my last job almost had one touchdown right on top of us. 

• Like 1

A big problem I see today is how many people disregard tornado warnings because "nothing ever happens." Too many people also think "tornadoes can't happen here" because they have some sort of topographical barrier that isn't really a barrier (live near a river, live on a hill, etc.). 

Years ago, I was rushing to get home as a huge line of wicked storms full of tornado warnings approached. I drove by McDonald's and people were casually walking in like this was completely normal as the sky to the west turned green. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

I'm no climate expert, but it's not hard to think that data is skewed for non-scientific purposes.  We are lied to and manipulated all the time and it just gets old after awhile.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BDB said:

High wind advisory for central Iowa starting at noon today thru midnight. Up to 70 mph gust.  Supposed to be damn near 70 degrees though.  

I just came in from doing an hour of barn chores, and I'm soaked in sweat...the humidity is a killer...

But, I don't have to deal with the tornado threats...God be with y'all in the Midwest...

Screenshot_20211215-094742.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I'd never wish a tornado on anyone, but I'm kind of liking this weather pattern the last two weeks. I don't know, maybe as I get older, my favorite season is becoming "not winter." 

I'd say that isn't that unusual lol.

FYI "cold weather" deaths account globally for 1.7 million deaths vs 300k for "heat" related deaths per year. Not sure why it's such a bad thing even if the climate does warm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Minneapolis has about 7-8 inches of snow still on the ground and getting ready for a night of tornado activity and winds up to 100 mph. 

I'd say Mother Nature is trying to tell us something...haha.

We’ve had Thundersnow…now Snowados?!!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

All from Michigan I think I saw the other day. Don't get me wrong...there are plenty of idiots living there already...but they better be very careful. I'd say 90% of homes have a gun in them...and people will have no hesitation to defend their property there....or their neighbors. Usually people also start calling these people scamming them too. Lowest of the low.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

All from Michigan I think I saw the other day. Don't get me wrong...there are plenty of idiots living there already...but they better be very careful. I'd say 90% of homes have a gun in them...and people will have no hesitation to defend their property there....or their neighbors. Usually people also start calling these people scamming them too. Lowest of the low.

Tennessee.  A bunch of meth heads.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Tennessee.  A bunch of meth heads.

Well Mayfield has it's own problems with that. I read the other day I think 3 guys from Michigan had also been arrested for similar stuff....just sad...those people don't need these problems right now...but I won't fill sorry for anyone trying to take advantage of them getting what they deserve.