Conference record expectation

bobtcat2

This conference schedule is killer.  I think 8-12 is a pretty decent record.  Would it be enough for an NCAA bid?  Probably not.  8 wins or more and I'm satisfied, fewer than 8 I'd be really concerned.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, take a look at the schedule.  I know pointless to complain about it since the unbalanced schedule is going to benefit you sometimes and hurt you sometimes.

On the plus side it's a lot more opportunities for good wins.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

This conference schedule is killer.  I think 8-12 is a pretty decent record.  Would it be enough for an NCAA bid?  Probably not.  8 wins or more and I'm satisfied, fewer than 8 I'd be really concerned.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, take a look at the schedule.  I know pointless to complain about it since the unbalanced schedule is going to benefit you sometimes and hurt you sometimes.

On the plus side it's a lot more opportunities for good wins.

I got us at 11-9 going game by game.

I got us at 13-7. Thing I like about this conference schedule is when and who we play. There aren't stretches where we could lose 4 of 5 with the exception of Feb 16 to March 1st and even during that time I see 2-3. 

Get Rob healthy. Other players figuring out where and how they will contribute. Wins like last night actually have me more confident over the course of a season not less. 

I love how we fans twist every result to fit our narrative.  We look bad against Wisky, no doubt.  We look bad, but win against UCONN.  However, for some reason, every other non-IU result is seems to be bad for IU as well. 

For example, Maryland loses to Penn State. Well, by gosh Maryland is GOOD even though they lost, so now not only can we not beat Maryland, we can't beat Penn State either.  We seem to be incapable of interpreting that result as Maryland is beatable.  

Same thing with Illinois and Michigan.  Since Michigan is good, and Illinois beat them, I guess we can't win against those teams either.

All 10 Big Ten home teams have won.  That seems to mean, we can't win on the road, so why do we assume teams can come into Assembly Hall and win?  And, yes, people are assuming that or we would not have 6, 7, & 8 win conference projections in this thread.

We beat UCONN and Florida State, but have a bad game at Wisconsin.  Meanwhile, Duke loses at home to SFA, and UK loses to Evansville, but no one questions those teams ability to right the ship.  But, people have us on the Titantic.

Cheer up folks.  it's the Holidays.  Make that New Year's resolution to be positive.  It does not cost anything!

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

However, for some reason, every other non-IU result is seems to be bad for IU as well.

Of course.  How else can we fuel discussion about firing Archie/Fred/McRobbie/the entire state legislature and hiring Marshall/Beard/Phil Jackson/Pat Riley/the remains of James Naismith? :coffee:

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I love how we fans twist every result to fit our narrative.  We look bad against Wisky, no doubt.  We look bad, but win against UCONN.  However, for some reason, every other non-IU result is seems to be bad for IU as well. 

For example, Maryland loses to Penn State. Well, by gosh Maryland is GOOD even though they lost, so now not only can we not beat Maryland, we can't beat Penn State either.  We seem to be incapable of interpreting that result as Maryland is beatable.  

Same thing with Illinois and Michigan.  Since Michigan is good, and Illinois beat them, I guess we can't win against those teams either.

All 10 Big Ten home teams have won.  That seems to mean, we can't win on the road, so why do we assume teams can come into Assembly Hall and win?  And, yes, people are assuming that or we would not have 6, 7, & 8 win conference projections in this thread.

We beat UCONN and Florida State, but have a bad game at Wisconsin.  Meanwhile, Duke loses at home to SFA, and UK loses to Evansville, but no one questions those teams ability to right the ship.  But, people have us on the Titantic.

Cheer up folks.  it's the Holidays.  Make that New Year's resolution to be positive.  It does not cost anything!

Duke and UK have been elite for a long time.  We haven't and that's the difference.  If Archie had a title and a bunch of FFs on his resume the loss would be no big deal.  That said, every team seems to have 1-2 of those WTF games each season.  If that's all it was at Wisconsin it's no big deal.  If it ends up being a trend we have a major problem.

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Or after the game Tuesday, Archie is a coach with a terrible offense, a ‘decent’ defense, with bad substitution patterns, that turns it over too much, but UConn is a well coached team that plays hard and Hurley has them headed in the right direction. 

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I expect the tournament this year.  Period.  I think there have been things to be concerned about since our schedule strength has started to increase but that does not necessarily equate to the sky is falling.  I did not like some of the coaching moves against UConn, I thought we looked God awful against Wisconsin.  I think that some of that could be fixable.  Honestly, my biggest worries are things that have carried over from year one.  Our recovery in the packline is too slow and we give up way too many poorly contested or completely uncontested 3 point looks.  That is what happened early against both Wisconsin and Connecticut.  The packline can be super effective if the other team is average shooting, but when another team is hot, you end up being the #1 seed getting upset by a 16 seed for the first time because there is no adjustment to be made other than switching defenses at that point.

My second worry is that we have nobody that can be counted on to consistently score 10+ and we have no one we can count on as an outside shooter.  Our offense has poor spacing too often and we get caught having to throw up junk baskets late in the shot clock because we can't run what we want to do.

I just think people are concerned because we were winning games last year at this time with the same types of issues and the wheels fell off.  Teams like Duke and UK have earned a little bit of understanding, Miller's IU has not.  I have not seen anything from the program yet that screams "this is THE guy".  I think we have "A" guy who should be able to get us to the tournament most years and maybe that is all this program will ever be.  The problem is that is not how this program is marketed.

Tournament and above .500 in conference should be minimum expectations in year 3.  We are 9-1, I am willing to sit back and see how it goes,  but let's not pretend that there are not concerning things about this program right now.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Duke and UK have been elite for a long time.  We haven't and that's the difference.  If Archie had a title and a bunch of FFs on his resume the loss would be no big deal.  That said, every team seems to have 1-2 of those WTF games each season.  If that's all it was at Wisconsin it's no big deal.  If it ends up being a trend we have a major problem.

You're glossing over the Penn State and Illinois wins. That's really the point, isn't it? You think Illinois is a really strong team? Think Penn State has a bunch of FFs? B1G road is going to be hard, really, as usual. And imo there's more balance than usual in this B1G from top to bottom. Is MSU unbeatable? OSU to me so far looks like the best B1G team. MSU, UM, etc. are beatable. We've shown strong play at home, we eeked out a difficult neutral site game, and of course we're still not at full strength. 

Archived