2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, rico said:

I'd tell them this...

There are 92 days between July 1st and September 30th. If, through double headers, you could squeeze 100 games in and allow for a couple of days off per month, sure...

I wouldn't want teams to be playing deep into November, nor would I like games played at neutral sites...

If they don't get too greedy, they can do this...

Hopefully they can get something in that is close to at least a half a season without driving the players into the ground by playing so much. I don't like the idea of neutral site games but in a year like this why not I guess. I'd rather have guys play at a neutral site in playoffs vs trying to get so much baseball in a short period of time....unless MLB loosens up the bench rules/roster spots.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

unless MLB loosens up the bench rules/roster spots.

I'd be in favor of that too...expand the rosters to 30...

But I hate the neutral site idea...playoff baseball needs to be in front of home field fans...

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd be in favor of that too...expand the rosters to 30...

But I hate the neutral site idea...playoff baseball needs to be in front of home field fans...

I don't like the neutral site idea either but tough times call for tough changes.  

How about this...

88 game schedule from July 1st to September 30th...allow for 2 off days per month and 2 double header per month...allow a 3 day All Star break with the selections based on lifetime achievement.

Have the 3 division champs wait for the winner of a REAL wild, wild card by seeding the other 12 teams like this...

Tournament stretched over a week, single elimination...

Screenshot_20200402-075407.png

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How about this...

88 game schedule from July 1st to September 30th...allow for 2 off days per month and 2 double header per month...allow a 3 day All Star break with the selections based on lifetime achievement.

Have the 3 division champs wait for the winner of a REAL wild, wild card by seeding the other 12 teams like this...

Tournament stretched over a week, single elimination...

Screenshot_20200402-075407.png

I am up for anything...I just want my baseball back.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

How many Yankee SP's are in the HoF?

Mussina, Hunter, and Whitey Ford off the top of my head...I'd imagine a few old timers are in there, and I expect Pettitte to eventually make it (although I'm not a fan due to PED use)...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mussina, Hunter, and Whitey Ford off the top of my head...I'd imagine a few old timers are in there, and I expect Pettitte to eventually make it (although I'm not a fan due to PED use)...

Well Hunter made his hay with the A's...interesing about Mussina is that he never made an AS game as a Yank.  Now Andy is a Yankee great.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well Hunter made his hay with the A's...interesing about Mussina is that he never made an AS game as a Yank.  Now Andy is a Yankee great.  

True, but Hunter did have a couple of good years with the Yankees...

Two others I thought of...Red Ruffing and Lefty Gomez...

Any way you slice it, with that hitting lineup and what they'd throw at you at the end of the game (Gossage, Rivera) they'd be tough...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

True, but Hunter did have a couple of good years with the Yankees...

Two others I thought of...Red Ruffing and Lefty Gomez...

Any way you slice it, with that hitting lineup and what they'd throw at you at the end of the game (Gossage, Rivera) they'd be tough...

Oh yeah...but they were never known for starting pitching.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Oh yeah...but they were never known for starting pitching.

I think a few of their pitchers in the 50s (Rashi, Reynolds, Lopat) and 60s (Stottlemyer) get little consideration because of the hitting lineup they had...but if you look at their stats, they weren't chopped liver...

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think a few of their pitchers in the 50s (Rashi, Reynolds, Lopat) and 60s (Stottlemyer) get little consideration because of the hitting lineup they had...but if you look at their stats, they weren't chopped liver...

Just like Fred Norman and Jack Billingham on The Big Red Machine!

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Just like Fred Norman and Jack Billingham on The Big Red Machine!

Yep...

If you look at it, if the Reds could have stayed away from arm problems, they would have had a formidible core starting staff in the 70s...Simpson, Nolan, and Gullett...that's some serious stuff there...

Following up on posts from yesterday. In the NFL you pretty much know when something gets leaked to Schefter or others it's more than likely going to happen. In baseball though I'm seeing a wide range of possibilities of start date, schedule date, crowds no crowds,etc....is that a product of no one actually knowing a thing or a product of leadership in baseball not having a clue? 

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yep...

If you look at it, if the Reds could have stayed away from arm problems, they would have had a formidible core starting staff in the 70s...Simpson, Nolan, and Gullett...that's some serious stuff there...

Simpson and Nolan, yes.  But Gullett had a fine season with the Yanks in '77.

The Reds were pitching rich in the 70's...unfortunately they traded away Ross Grimsley Mike Caldwell, and Pat Zachry.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Following up on posts from yesterday. In the NFL you pretty much know when something gets leaked to Schefter or others it's more than likely going to happen. In baseball though I'm seeing a wide range of possibilities of start date, schedule date, crowds no crowds,etc....is that a product of no one actually knowing a thing or a product of leadership in baseball not having a clue? 

I think it is a product of not knowing where this virus is going.

Guess I'll put this here. Our President has a call scheduled with every single sports commissioner today at Noon. Only two ways this can go. Have a plan in place to ramp things back up when we get the green light....or the alternative which is no sports for rest of year. Interesting no NCAA on the call. Pro sports only. 

Archived