2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

47 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It's a good question. I don't know because his dad does work in the front office but I can't imagine that Castellini and Williams are to thrilled that they handed out 160 million dollars in contracts to mostly proven players only to see the team get worse. 

I wouldn't say the team got worse...I would say the team has fallen well short of expectations.  

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, rico said:

I wouldn't say the team got worse...I would say the team has fallen well short of expectations.  

I don't know. The offensive stats are worse and some of the pitching stats are worse. Moose is having the worst year of his career. Maybe he's hurt I don't know but it's not good.Castellanos is having one of the lowest batting average seasons of his career. Geno is worse but he might be coming around a bit. Many guys are worse/underperforming and it makes me wonder what the cause is. I do understand that it's a much different season. Maybe it's Bell or something else but I can't imagine most of the ownership and management is very happy. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Question for Reds fans. The reason I ask is it seems  4-5x per week Bell/Reds are always being asked why they play a player or strategy,etc...I know it's only year 2 but is his job safe?

He better be gone if they don't make the playoffs this year.  When half the teams make the playoffs this year there is no reason the Reds shouldn't make it.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He better be gone if they don't make the playoffs this year.  When half the teams make the playoffs this year there is no reason the Reds shouldn't make it.

Do you have a new front office? 

Asking because if not, it'll be the same guys that kept Bryan Price around way too long making that decision...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Do you have a new front office? 

Asking because if not, it'll be the same guys that kept Bryan Price around way too long making that decision...

Not really, Dick Williams moved up to president a couple of years ago and brought in another GM.  With the Reds it starts at the top and things needs to change.  They need to do something about the scouting and player development area of the organization.

Just looking through YouTube for Tom Seave game as a Red.  Picked a game from 82 at Montreal because it was the game if the week on NBC.  It was a bad season up to that point for Seaver at 1-6 and a 5.80 ERA.  Just so different watching a game from that time compared to today.

The pitcher for Montreal Steve Rodgers at that point had started 9 games and a record of 6-3 with a 1.78 ERA.  He also completed 4 of those games and pitched 72 innings in his 9 starts.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just looking through YouTube for Tom Seave game as a Red.  Picked a game from 82 at Montreal because it was the game if the week on NBC.  It was a bad season up to that point for Seaver at 1-6 and a 5.80 ERA.  Just so different watching a game from that time compared to today.

The pitcher for Montreal Steve Rodgers at that point had started 9 games and a record of 6-3 with a 1.78 ERA.  He also completed 4 of those games and pitched 72 innings in his 9 starts.

Things I have not heard during the broadcast.

Pitch count

Speed if the pitches

WAR or any other analytics stats.

Launch angle

Shifts

Also in the 7th with the Reds down 1-0. They had guys on first and second and no outs with Johnny Bench up and they had Bench trying to sacrafice The runners over.  Can you imagine that happening in today's game especially in the 7th inning.  Also had a lot more balls in.play where defense becomes important.

Reds  just have a hard time putting good games together.  Won the first game of a DH 4-2 against  the Pirates.  Still has a chance in the second game down 4-3 in the 5th but it is just a 7 inning game.  Defense has killed the reds this year and bit them big time tonight.  Lead off hitter of 4th with us up 2-0 hit a routine ball to second but Votto dropped an easy throw.  Next two were outs but the Pirates ended up scoring 3 runs but all 3 was unearned.

Reds lose 4-3 to the Pirates and it is a game we gave away because of defense.  If Votto could just catch a routine throw that was like 20 feet away from him Reds would have won 3-1  After the inning you saw Bauer letting someone have it in the dugout and I love it because besides him and maybe a couple of others this team shows no emotion.  You have a 4 game series against the Pirated you have to win all 4 games to give yourself a shot of getting to the playoffs.  I don't think this team has won more than 2 games in a row all year.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yu Darvish is the first Cubs pitcher to win 7 straight starts and allow no more than 1 run in those starts since good old Ed Reulbach did it in 1906. Eddie had some nasty stuff too I guess.

Good article on Yu's return to elite status...

He exchanges texts with Trevor Bauer...A couple of guys with good stuff exchanging notes...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Good article on Yu's return to elite status...

He exchanges texts with Trevor Bauer...A couple of guys with good stuff exchanging notes...

Great article IUFLA.  I always thought that Darvish's problem with the Cubs besides the injuries was not getting ahead in the count early then trying to get batters to go for some of his stuff when behind in the count.  Apparently it was a little different than that.

On a personal note one of my high school classmates is Yu's aunt.

No other choice but to just this thing out. Honestly at this point I'm trying to figure out how the Cubs still have a 2.5 game lead. This lineup isn't capable of consistent at bats or games anymore. Hopefully Lester has a gem in him tonight.

Fun stat I just saw that just doesn't seem right.. Joey Votto is only 9 walks away from taking over Pete Rose all time Reds walks lead but he's done so with 5,000 fewer at bats? 

9 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Garrett Cole has turned out to be a dud! He has lost his 3rd straight game, 6-1, to the lowly O's!!!  😡

Yankees pitching staff is in shambles right now!

Makes me wonder if the Yankees tried changing the way he pitches like they did with Sonny Gray. 

Archived