2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Even the best have a bad night. Problem is in this season you can't have more than a couple. Just for discussion purposes only. Why did everyone think the Reds were going to make some giant leap in their division?  I know the acquisitions but Cards, Brewers, Cubs have all been there done that teams. The Reds still finished 12 games under .500 last year. Tough to make up that ground.

I was dead wrong and so was a lot of national media guys because some of them picked the Reds.  I thought the reds had the best starting rotation and last ear the bullpen was good.  The reason we did not win more last year was the offense and when you sign Castellanos, Moustakas to go with Suarez I thought the middle of the lineup was set.  I thought either Senzel or Shoho would be good offensively.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was dead wrong and so was a lot of national media guys because some of them picked the Reds.  I thought the reds had the best starting rotation and last ear the bullpen was good.  The reason we did not win more last year was the offense and when you sign Castellanos, Moustakas to go with Suarez I thought the middle of the lineup was set.  I thought either Senzel or Shoho would be good offensively.

I was wrong as well. Just was asking because I thought the Reds were poised to make a move. Still can but time is of the essence.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was wrong as well. Just was asking because I thought the Reds were poised to make a move. Still can but time is of the essence.

Until the last few games the starting pitchers has been pretty good and now the bullpen is getting better but the offense is still the problem.  The main problem I see the Reds having is in their scouting and player development.  The Reds have had plenty of high draft picks in the last 7 or so years and don't have much to show for it.  I get tired of seeing other organizations draft players and see them develop into top players and the Reds can't do that.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don’t understand what has happened to some of these players. Suarez looks like he’s forgotten how the hit. Moustakas looks looks lost, Shogo is way below his average in Japan, and Castellanos is below his career average and cooling off of late. So my question is what has caused all of this among other things. It just makes me wonder.

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t understand what has happened to some of these players. Suarez looks like he’s forgotten how the hit. Moustakas looks looks lost, Shogo is way below his average in Japan, and Castellanos is below his career average and cooling off of late. So my question is what has caused all of this among other things. It just makes me wonder.

I am hoping the problem with Suarez was that he had shoulder surgery in the off season and was expected to miss some time early in the season.  I think some have said that Moustakas is playing with some kind of injury but i am not sure if that is the case.  With Shogo it is hard to look at stats from Japan and see if it will correlate to the MLB.

<sigh> What is one of baseball's golden rules of base running? Never make the first or third out at third base?

Guy for the Marlins (Rojas) hits a double to lead off the 5th down 2-1. First 2 pitches, the batter never even looks at the right side. 3rd pitch Rojas tries to steal, pitcher steps off and has him cold...

<sigh> I miss baseball...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

<sigh> What is one of baseball's golden rules of base running? Never make the first or third out at third base?

Guy for the Marlins (Rojas) hits a double to lead off the 5th down 2-1. First 2 pitches, the batter never even looks at the right side. 3rd pitch Rojas tries to steal, pitcher steps off and has him cold...

<sigh> I miss baseball...

Fundamentals are sure lacking in the MLB and you never see a player give up an out to move a runner over.

Did some research and these stats should show why the Reds are bad.  Their top hitter Winker is at .333 and is suspended for tonight's game. So this is the lineup and bench from the game.  Also thought the Reds made a mistake by keeping Galvis as the SS instead of resigning Iglesias who had a great year last year.  Right now with baltimore Iglesias is hitting .405 and Galvis is at .215.

Votto- .233

Castellanos- .250

Davidson- .210

Suarez- .190

Moustakas- .224

Aquino- .214

Garcia- .214

Shogo- .194

Casali- .222

Bench

Barnhardt- .180

Farmer- .273

Galvis-.213

Goodwin- .242 just came over from the Angels and he would be tied for 2nd in RBI's for the Reds at 17

Went back to 2012 draft and looked at who the Reds selected and looked at a few who were drafted after them to see how they did.  The last 3 years it is hard to know yet becaus emost of them are not in the majors.  These players who were picked after the reds has made an all star team.  I would assume this list shows that the Reds have not developed those top picks very well or did not scout well.

2012 Reds pick at #14 Nick Travesco never got to the majors

3 players in the next 5 picks Corey Seager, Michael Wacha, Nicholas Gioloto

2013 Reds pick at #27 Phillip Ervin at 32 Aaron Judge was picked

2014- Reds pick at #14 Nick Howard, picked at 23 Matt Chapman by the A's

2015- Reds pick at #11 Tyler Stephenson, at 24 the Dodgers picked Walker Buhler-  Stephenson played one game this year for the Reds and hit a homerun

2016- Reds pick at #2 Nick Senzel- good player when healthy which is not often.

2017- Reds pick at #2 Hunter Green- Had Tommy John surgery two years ago

2018- Reds pick at #5 Johnathon India

2019- Reds pick at #7 NIck Lodolo

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs. Manager has to leave starter in even though he knows he's losing his stuff and a 6-1 game turns into 6-5 because zero in the pen. Rinse wash repeat for the last few years.

Just think we have to many pitchers in the bullpen that probably shouldn't be in the MLB.  Now with each team having 13 or 14 pitchers on their roster that brings in pitchers who use to not be in the majors.  I know I am old but I remember when teams had 5 starters and 5 guys in the bullpen.

What inning did Lester start losing his stuff because it seems like starters endurance is not what it use to be.  When the bullpen had to cover 3 to 4 every game you will over work them.  When managers over manage and have to use 4 bullpen guys to cover those innings every night you will find at least one pitcher who does not have it that day.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just think we have to many pitchers in the bullpen that probably shouldn't be in the MLB.  Now with each team having 13 or 14 pitchers on their roster that brings in pitchers who use to not be in the majors.  I know I am old but I remember when teams had 5 starters and 5 guys in the bullpen.

What inning did Lester start losing his stuff because it seems like starters endurance is not what it use to be.  When the bullpen had to cover 3 to 4 every game you will over work them.  When managers over manage and have to use 4 bullpen guys to cover those innings every night you will find at least one pitcher who does not have it that day.

Lester went 93 pitches but started getting himself in trouble around 78. Our pen sucks so Ross trusted his veteran. Catch 22 world. Leaves him in and game goes from 6-1  to 6-5. If he took him out at 80 and pen gives up the runs he gets questioned as well. Just wish we had a pen.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lester went 93 pitches but started getting himself in trouble around 78. Our pen sucks so Ross trusted his veteran. Catch 22 world. Leaves him in and game goes from 6-1  to 6-5. If he took him out at 80 and pen gives up the runs he gets questioned as well. Just wish we had a pen.

I know he is getting older but I don't see why a starter would lose his stuff at 78 pitches.  When they are only condition to to pitch 5 or 6 innings it is hard for them to work out of trouble.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know he is getting older but I don't see why a starter would lose his stuff at 78 pitches.  When they are only condition to to pitch 5 or 6 innings it is hard for them to work out of trouble.

Doesn't have the heat he used to have.  It's not the player's conditioning, but that the longer you pitch in a game the better that the opposition hitters get at timing the pitcher.  Generally, relievers are relievers because they don't have enough different types of pitches to keep hitters off balance for the 5 or 6 innings.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Did some research and these stats should show why the Reds are bad.  Their top hitter Winker is at .333 and is suspended for tonight's game. So this is the lineup and bench from the game.  Also thought the Reds made a mistake by keeping Galvis as the SS instead of resigning Iglesias who had a great year last year.  Right now with baltimore Iglesias is hitting .405 and Galvis is at .215.

Votto- .233

Castellanos- .250

Davidson- .210

Suarez- .190

Moustakas- .224

Aquino- .214

Garcia- .214

Shogo- .194

Casali- .222

Bench

Barnhardt- .180

Farmer- .273

Galvis-.213

Goodwin- .242 just came over from the Angels and he would be tied for 2nd in RBI's for the Reds at 17

This is correct and it makes me wonder why they can't hit and they play in a "hitters park". It drives me crazy. 

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Went back to 2012 draft and looked at who the Reds selected and looked at a few who were drafted after them to see how they did.  The last 3 years it is hard to know yet becaus emost of them are not in the majors.  These players who were picked after the reds has made an all star team.  I would assume this list shows that the Reds have not developed those top picks very well or did not scout well.

2012 Reds pick at #14 Nick Travesco never got to the majors

3 players in the next 5 picks Corey Seager, Michael Wacha, Nicholas Gioloto

2013 Reds pick at #27 Phillip Ervin at 32 Aaron Judge was picked

2014- Reds pick at #14 Nick Howard, picked at 23 Matt Chapman by the A's

2015- Reds pick at #11 Tyler Stephenson, at 24 the Dodgers picked Walker Buhler-  Stephenson played one game this year for the Reds and hit a homerun

2016- Reds pick at #2 Nick Senzel- good player when healthy which is not often.

2017- Reds pick at #2 Hunter Green- Had Tommy John surgery two years ago

2018- Reds pick at #5 Johnathon India

2019- Reds pick at #7 NIck Lodolo

This happens to a lot of teams. The MLB draft is the hardest one to hit on because of the high school aspect. Since 2015 their draft picks have been better but 2012, 2013, and 2014 weren't good at all. Those three drafts also had Walt Jocketty running the front office too. 

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

This happens to a lot of teams. The MLB draft is the hardest one to hit on because of the high school aspect. Since 2015 their draft picks have been better but 2012, 2013, and 2014 weren't good at all. Those three drafts also had Walt Jocketty running the front office too. 

There is just maybe a possibility that the Reds scouting department isn't very good.

Just now, rico said:

There is just maybe a possibility that the Reds scouting department isn't very good.

They've done pretty well with their first round picks since 2015. Stephenson, Senzel, Greene, India, and Lodolo could all possibly be in the majors next year at some point. However after that it hasn't been great and especially with pitchers. I think that comes into the development and as to why they hired Kyle Boddy this past offseason. 

http://Rays-Yankees might get interesting tonight

Rays manager Kevin Cash said he believed was intentional. 

"It's absolutely ridiculous," Cash said. "It was mishandled by the Yankees.

"Somebody has to be accountable. The last thing I'll say on it is I got a whole damn stable full of guys that throw 98 mph. Period."

In the old days, someone on the Yankees would get plunked on the ass or upper thigh and that would be that...

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

http://Rays-Yankees might get interesting tonight

Rays manager Kevin Cash said he believed was intentional. 

"It's absolutely ridiculous," Cash said. "It was mishandled by the Yankees.

"Somebody has to be accountable. The last thing I'll say on it is I got a whole damn stable full of guys that throw 98 mph. Period."

In the old days, someone on the Yankees would get plunked on the ass or upper thigh and that would be that...

Heat of the moment comments which I absolutely love but probably will just mean longer suspensions if it goes crazy tonight. This is last time they face each other in regular season so it could get fun!

Archived