2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know I sound like the Texas version of Scott, but they don't know any way to score but the home run...8 stolen bases, never see a hit and run...1 bunt all year...I know with the DH it isn't sexy, but winning is...

1 starter with an ERA below 4...It's not looking good...and don't get me started on the bench...Souza has been a total bust...Kipnis has come back to earth after a hot start...and Almora has lost all confidence...

If it doesn't improve and we either limp into the playoffs and lose early, or don't make them at all, I say break em up...

Who ya gonna ship out?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know I sound like the Texas version of Scott, but they don't know any way to score but the home run...8 stolen bases, never see a hit and run...1 bunt all year...I know with the DH it isn't sexy, but winning is...

1 starter with an ERA below 4...It's not looking good...and don't get me started on the bench...Souza has been a total bust...Kipnis has come back to earth after a hot start...and Almora has lost all confidence...

If it doesn't improve and we either limp into the playoffs and lose early, or don't make them at all, I say break em up...

Agree all day. Trade deadline is Monday. Not sure we could even make moves for but rolling the same dead a-- lineup out there each day is making me crazy. Do something. Anything at this point to shake things up. I know we miss Bryant but even he was dead before injuries.

Not there yet because I never will give up on seasons but when I look at this group I'm starting to think what's the best way to do an almost major overhaul and start ramping things back up again for 2022.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Who ya gonna ship out?

Easier to say who I would keep...

Right now the only ones I would keep would be Hoerner, Happ, Schwarber, and Bote...Don't think you can get much for Heyward, and he is having a decent season so far, so I might keep him as well...

But I'd definitely shop Bryant, Rizzo, Contreas, and Baez...

Pitching staff...everybody but Darvish and Jefress would be on the block...

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Right now the only ones I would keep would be Hoerner, Happ, Schwarber, and Bote...Don't think you can get much for Heyward, and he is having a decent season so far, so I might keep him as well...

Pretty much where I'm at. I think it's growing by the day among Cubs fans that we got as much as we could out of this core. Time to rebuild.

Edit-have to keep Hendricks.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What drives me nuts is players not willing to try to bunt when there is a huge shift.  If you are having trouble scoring why not put a bunt down and get someone on base.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't watch all the Cubs game but why would you keep Schwarber.  

Ya know things are going bad when your "ACE" reliever comes in with a 3-2 lead and serves up a 2 run, walk-off homerun to the Mutts on your home turf!!!

Yanks lose a double header after leading late in both games. Now in a 7 game losing streak and I don't look for things to get better anytime soon...

UUgghhh

Go Yanks.....  Please, just go

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't watch all the Cubs game but why would you keep Schwarber.  

Relatively young (27), I think he has the most power on the team, left handed bat, and I think he can be a solid .270/30/100 guy. 

As for either him or Bryant, I think Kris has a lot of holes in his swing, and pitchers have found them.

And I'll admit my bias...being a Hoosier doesn't hurt...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Relatively young (27), I think he has the most power on the team, left handed bat, and I think he can be a solid .270/30/100 guy. 

As for either him or Bryant, I think Kris has a lot of holes in his swing, and pitchers have found them.

has he ever hit at a .270 clip because I always thought he was around a .240 hitter.  It seems like a lot of teams are struggling with hitting especially on the NL Central which is what I have mainly watched.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

has he ever hit at a .270 clip because I always thought he was around a .240 hitter.  It seems like a lot of teams are struggling with hitting especially on the NL Central which is what I have mainly watched.

No, he's .235 lifetime, but I think he can be much better than that. We've seen a couple of times when he's carried the Cubs. 

Cut down on the strikeouts and hit it to all fields...

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I would keep Baez and Hendricks as well. Definitely should have traded Bryant in the offseason...Cubs won't get nearly as much now, especially that he is hurt again and only one more year of club control.

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I would keep Baez and Hendricks as well. Definitely should have traded Bryant in the offseason...Cubs won't get nearly as much now, especially that he is hurt again and only one more year of club control.

I hear what you're saying but will Baez ever be disciplined enough to be a superstar? He has the talent, but will he ever harness it?

As for Hendricks, I've always preferred power arms. I know their have been a lot of good control pitchers, but I've always thought power pitchers had much more margin for error in the strike zone. Kyle doesn't enjoy that luxury. If he's not getting movement and leaving it over the plate, which has seemed to happen a lot lately, he's gonna get lit up...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I hear what you're saying but will Baez ever be disciplined enough to be a superstar? He has the talent, but will he ever harness it?

As for Hendricks, I've always preferred power arms. I know their have been a lot of good control pitchers, but I've always thought power pitchers had much more margin for error in the strike zone. Kyle doesn't enjoy that luxury. If he's not getting movement and leaving it over the plate, which has seemed to happen a lot lately, he's gonna get lit up...

Honestly, I share your concern about Baez and his discipline...I have no idea if he will ever harness it, but I think he would sign a long term deal for a reasonable price. I would roll the dice with him.

Hendricks is Maddux lite...I understand liking the power pitchers more, but he is smart and knows how to "pitch" and not just "throw" hard like many power pitchers. I might be wrong about this, but it seems that power pitchers also are more prone to injuries. But, despite being a huge Cubs fan my whole life, I used to try to emulate Roger Clemens growing up ( in the mid-late 80s before the steroids stuff came up) so I get the love for the power pitchers. Hendricks has also done well in post season.

The Cubs will definitely make the playoffs this year because of the expanded postseason, but as has already been stated, they are extremely flawed team and have been since post world series. I was all for making moves this past off season but I think Epstein wanted to give Ross a shot with the talent on the roster.

My prediction...Cubs make playoffs as a 3 seed, win one playoff series and head into the off season disappointed again and make major changes for next season.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just can't believe the splits for Hendricks when it comes to home/road. I noticed the last 3 games at the Reds he had given up 16 runs in 11 innings.

18 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Honestly, I share your concern about Baez and his discipline...I have no idea if he will ever harness it, but I think he would sign a long term deal for a reasonable price. I would roll the dice with him.

What seems reasonable to me and you may not be to the Ricketts. They've been tight with the dollar lately, and Javy already makes $10 million this year...Arbitration eligible next, and FA after 2021...If we can get him for a good price, sure...but I'm not so sure that would be the case...

20 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

My prediction...Cubs make playoffs as a 3 seed, win one playoff series and head into the off season disappointed again and make major changes for next season.

I think that's about right. Anything above that will exceed my personal expectations at this point...

Looking at MLB trade rumors and right now it appears that the Reds is still in buy mode.  They still think they got a good chance of making the playoffs so they might look at a bat and some relievers.  Also it appears the Cubs and tigers has discussed a trade for the Cubs to get Cameron Maybin.  Don't know why they would  want another OF but who knows if anything will come of this.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'll also add this. Many probably don't know but Kyle's wife is bi-racial. His brother in law is African American. His Dad was a cop for 30+ years, his Mom was a police dispatcher,etc....his sister is a cop as well. Just saying Schwarber is living a daily deal. Can't imagine what kind of conversations are going on with him and his wife and family. It's not an excuse or whatever....just saying he's got plenty going on off the field. 

And in a normal season he's on pace for 37 home runs or so. He's doing exactly what we want. Would love the average up a bit for sure but he's the best power guy we have and he's won 3-4 games himself because of his power.

Well GOD must be a Yankee fan! Yanks won a close game 2-1, over the Mutts. The winning run was scored in the bottom of the 9th when former Yankee, Dellin Betances, uncorked a wild pitch with a runner on 3rd, that provided the win!!

The last time the Yankees had an 8 game losing streak was 25 years ago. Maybe now they can get things going......

Archived