2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seaver was called "the toughest pitcher I ever had to face" by arguably the best hitter of their generation, Hank Aaron. When Seaver, in the midst of a Rookie of the Year season, introduced himself to Aaron at the 1967 All-Star Game, Aaron told him, "Kid, I know who you are, and before your career is over, I guarantee you everyone in this stadium will, too."

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember listening to his only no hitter as a Red against the Cardinals.

Here's a youtube of the entire game.  I scrolled up to the 9th inning.  Interesting listening to Marty call a game from back then.  His style really seemed to change after Joe died.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Votto with a walk off hit and Reds win 4-3.  Coming into this game the Cardinals close had not given up a run all year or walked a batter.  He walked two batters and then Votto gets his hit.

Should’ve taken the lead in the top of the 9th. Dumb to bunt with Molina. I know he’s a DP risk but I’ll take my chances with him over the two guys who batted after him. Don’t take the bat out of your HOF’ers hands. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Should’ve taken the lead in the top of the 9th. Dumb to bunt with Molina. I know he’s a DP risk but I’ll take my chances with him over the two guys who batted after him. Don’t take the bat out of your HOF’ers hands. 

I thought it was a good decision and actually thought they should had Dejong bunt with a runner on first and no outs.

51 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

News like this is making me feel old. Tom Terrific is who I pretended to be when I was in the backyard throwing as a kid

I had originally put "top 10" pitcher in my lifetime, but changed it to top 5, and after examining it, he's probably top 3 behind Koufax and Gibson. My hate for the 69 Mets (and I hate the 84 Padres and 2003 Marlins too!) was the reason for my initial reaction...

1 hour ago, rico said:

Hopefully the Reds' win last night lights a fire under their pathetic arszs.

Hopefully. They need to find a way to come away with a 4 game sweep of the Pirates this weekend. They easily could. Castillo goes game 1 and he's do for a win, Bauer game 2, Disco is slotted for game 3 which scares me, and game 4 is tbd but will likely be Antone unless Miley is activated. It's worth noting the first 2 games are a double header which if Castillo and Bauer pitch like they should could really save the bullpen for the other 2 games.  

Another note about the Reds. I find it interesting that they waited until the last 2 games to start using Lorenzen in the OF again. I know it's because they used other up the others as defensive replacements, pinch runners, and pinch hitters but it still seems strange especially since he's the best defensive OFer on the team. I also wish he'd be getting a few AB's but that's just me. 

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Another note about the Reds. I find it interesting that they waited until the last 2 games to start using Lorenzen in the OF again. I know it's because they used other up the others as defensive replacements, pinch runners, and pinch hitters but it still seems strange especially since he's the best defensive OFer on the team. I also wish he'd be getting a few AB's but that's just me. 

No, it's just not you.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Question for Reds fans. The reason I ask is it seems  4-5x per week Bell/Reds are always being asked why they play a player or strategy,etc...I know it's only year 2 but is his job safe?

It's a good question. I don't know because his dad does work in the front office but I can't imagine that Castellini and Williams are to thrilled that they handed out 160 million dollars in contracts to mostly proven players only to see the team get worse. 

Archived