The H🔥T Seat

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Remove Beard and add someone like Mike White, and this is what the next coach would be.

The only one that would turn this thing around quickly IMO is Pearl......would I trade Miller for Willard? Steele? Alford? Brian Dutcher (he is 60)? Tad Boyle (he is 57)? Wittman? 

I forgot about White. He should be on any list.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Vincent14 said:

If we are going to give up on Archie now we have to get Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens, or Chris Beard.  Other hires are just going to be some successful mid major coach with some potential which is exactly what Archie was 3 years ago.

I understand people are frustrated and losing faith, but Archie isn't going anywhere this year. So you can put together your wish list, but it's not going to happen. He'll get at least one more year, I would be surprised if he doesn't get 5 years total. He's going to get a chance to turn it around with guys that fit his coaching. Like it or not, I truly believe this and hope for the best. Let's root for him and this team, to finish the season strong.

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That's what makes it different though. Here is my reasoning.

1. Nothing IU has done to this point has worked so give him a shot. 

2. The guy can coach. Nevada lost all 5 starters from last year and he has them 3rd in the conference with 15 wins at the moment. 

3. I believe he could get guys like Fife and Lewis among others to come home to join the staff.

4. He would be able to recruit the state and outside the state unlike Archie. He always got good recruits. As a high school coach in the state the name Steve Alford still carries a lot of weight. 

5. As someone who has seen coaching changes among coaches. Sometimes it is all about finding the right fit for a program to take off. I think Alford could put together a staff that could do that at IU not just Steve alone. That's what makes him at IU different than at other locations. 

PS. Butler keeps hiring Butler guys and they don't seem to miss a beat. I get Holtman wasn't but he was on staff at the time. Just saying maybe it's time to try something besides just looking at a resume. 

I guess will just have to disagree on Alford because I saw what he did at Iowa and UCLA where he was not well liked and did not do that well.

3 minutes ago, Vincent14 said:

This is why the administration is the problem.  This is Indiana basketball.  We by all means could go out and give Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan 8 million but the administration won't do it.

There are 3 coaches in the nation making over 5 million......and one of them is Holtmann (Whats the ROI on that?)

Doesn't matter on the why, bottom line is that if Miller is fired the replacement is NOT going to be Stevens or Donovan. And an extreme long shot on Beard.

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

I understand people are frustrated and losing faith, but Archie isn't going anywhere this year. So you can put together your wish list, but it's not going to happen. He'll get at least one more year, I would be surprised if he doesn't get 5 years total. He's going to get a chance to turn it around with guys that fit his coaching. Like it or not, I truly believe this and hope for the best. Let's root for him and this team, to finish the season strong.

I agree we shouldn't give up on Archie but if we are going to make a change, we need to really make a change.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will say that since the new AD won't be here until late May or early June that he will get another year no matter what.

Might be the case but the Board will get an overwhelming amount of heat if the worst happens.

I said it earlier but I really think the AD position could be the key to landing one of the big fish coaches.   Offer one of them the AD and head coach positions.  Give them everything they ask for and need.  Give them a staff that let's them focus on basketball.  Let them do both jobs until the ship is righted then they can pick their coaching successor.  Then they could finish out their years as AD.   That would have to be attractive to an older proven coach like Beilen or Donavan.   I doubt we would ever do it but that is how you entice the best.

Go  Hoosiers!!!

Just now, JugRox said:

There are 3 coaches in the nation making over 5 million......and one of them is Holtmann (Whats the ROI on that?)

Doesn't matter on the why, bottom line is that if Miller is fired the replacement is NOT going to be Stevens or Donovan. And an extreme long shot on Beard.

Not under the current administration I agree.

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe...

Not saying it's beyond the realm of possibility, but if there is a kid on the roster not recruited by CAM that I think he's at least partially gotten to, it's Justin.

I think he'll be an important leader for us next year...

There are two guys that consistently slump their shoulders and jog back on defense (usually giving up a bucket in transition) when they make a bad play on offense. One of them is Smith. I always watch closely to see if the coach takes hold of that situation. I’m usually let down.

3 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Might be the case but the Board will get an overwhelming amount of heat if the worst happens.

I said it earlier but I really think the AD position could be the key to landing one of the big fish coaches.   Offer one of them the AD and head coach positions.  Give them everything they ask for and need.  Give them a staff that let's them focus on basketball.  Let them do both jobs until the ship is righted then they can pick their coaching successor.  Then they could finish out their years as AD.   That would have to be attractive to an older proven coach like Beilen or Donavan.   I doubt we would ever do it but that is how you entice the best.

Go  Hoosiers!!!

The head coach does not have time to be an AD as well and there are more than just basketball for the AD to worry about.

The solution is simple.  Continue to schedule the weak non conference schedule that we do, move to the Atlantic 10 and we will be just fine. We are who our record says we are and unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon. 1 more or 6 more years unless we land our top 4 targets in 21. If that is the case most of us on this board could win with that roster.

14 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

If this is true, then this is definitely on CAM. It's one thing to have an issue like this that torpedoed last year, but if it's the same player or players this year, that's on the coach. 

.......lets not forget that some kids are just not coachable....or just don't buy in. I'm not saying Coach Miller is without fault. Frankly, I wish he would sit some of these players more often, but I feel he is trying to get results, and gambles that players will turn over a new leaf. Unfortunately, sitting those players and counting on the bench may get worse results. There is not much there.

.....The great Coach Knight said many times...."I'm not easiest coach to player for...." Those player either sat or quickly left the program. 

In my mind, Chris Beard is one of, if not The Best coach in college basketball.  He excels in roster management, schematics, and player development and has done so everywhere he has been.  He's brilliant.  There are no "down years" or "major rebuilding" in his mind.  He coached at a low level ABA team in SC where he was given an entirely new roster almost every year and made them winners.  

He also has to be one of the most approachable coaches in CBB.  He has the "it" factor when it comes to connecting with a fan base.  He would be a grandslam in more ways than one.  

Give this a read... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/march-madness/2019/4/3/18293467/chris-beard-texas-tech-jarrett-culver-final-four-defense

YouTube his interviews...the guy gets it.

And yes, I do have a man crush.

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'd still like to see what he can do with his own players as upperclassmen, since one of the things he emphasized was getting older as a team. I mean, we're all tiptoeing around at least one player that won't be here next year, and I'd like to see if that makes a difference. We're going to have essentially the same team overall, and we really aren't going to lose all that much with respect to production or leadership.

Losing production and leadership isn't the issue.  Having players that can produce and lead is the issue.   Other than Trayce do we have a player that would start at another Power 5 school?  Like I said I always figured CAM would get another year.  But the continued lack of improvements and same old on the court has me reconsidering.

Go Hoosiers!!!

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The class of VO and Sheehey was not considered program changing and it was.

without a doubt, but remember, not in their 1st year.  i think that's the point.  no one coming in next year is going to be a program changer next year.  that's where the concern of once AGAIN not making the tourney.  

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Wish this thread could get taken down. Let's see how this year and next go before we start speculating again.

Threads like this will hurt recruiting, people do read them.

Good call,.....I did not realize how I was slowly getting sucked in while trying to defend Coach Miller......

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Wish this thread could get taken down. Let's see how this year and next go before we start speculating again.

Threads like this will hurt recruiting, people do read them.

I agree with the thought. I hate these type of threads.

However, I would never take it down because we are not here to dictate conversation. We are here to let everybody discuss their views, within the rules.

As a fan, I cringe reading all this. As I moderator, I just ensure people are following our guidelines.

But yeah, yuck!

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

without a doubt, but remember, not in their 1st year.  i think that's the point.  no one coming in next year is going to be a program changer next year.  that's where the concern of once AGAIN not making the tourney.  

NC, you keep bringing up next year's recruits.  Tell me you list of past program changers at IU.

13 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Probably not but we won't know until next year.  Also I don't think they have to come in a be a big game changer next year for us to get better.  they just have to be able to contribute more than what we are losing on this years team.  They have to be better teammates and help with the team chemistry.  If they bring those intangibles that help teams win then it will be a good class.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

NC, you keep bringing up next year's recruits.  Tell me you list of past program changers at IU.

i mean, i would say any McD's AA would give me hope to be a program changer.  not all pan out, but if you told me we were getting one, i would see adding them to TJD, RP, Brunk, Hunter, and maybe making me think we'd be good enough to make the tourney.  although for this particular team, i agree with Scott... more specifically we need a MD's AA caliber SG to go with that group.  

Archived