NET rankings

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Losing at home is as damaging as not winning on the road.  

What about neutral site games? Our wins over ND and UConn seem to get lost in the shuffle. Or at least I don't think we get any credit for those wins away from home like we should.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

What about neutral site games? Our wins over ND and UConn seem to get lost in the shuffle. Or at least I don't think we get any credit for those wins away from home like we should.

Off the top of my head net says x1 at home, x1.2 neutral, x 1.4 away.  Since those two are currently quad 2 sniffing one,  if they get hot in their tourneys those may come up to quad 1 and help some.  Need some MIT math guys in to take it from here.  

The Pre con schedule does play into the low Net ranking.   Here are the schools dragging us down:

Western Illinois #334  ouch!!!

Portland St #181

North Alabama #274

Princeton #168

South Dakota St. #129

You could also throw in

Nebraska #198 (twice) and

Northwestern #158

I'm not arguing about the quality or strength of schedule here.  Just pointing out another factor for the lousy Net.

Go Hoosiers!!!

16 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

The Pre con schedule does play into the low Net ranking.   Here are the schools dragging us down:

Western Illinois #334  ouch!!!

Portland St #181

North Alabama #274

Princeton #168

South Dakota St. #129

You could also throw in

Nebraska #198 (twice) and

Northwestern #158

I'm not arguing about the quality or strength of schedule here.  Just pointing out another factor for the lousy Net.

Go Hoosiers!!!

If so, it only affects the Hoosiers. Tx Tech #22 NET. Non conference:

E Ill 241

UTRGV 261

Tn St 268

LIU Bklyn 271

CSU Bakersfield 282

Bethune-Cookman 287

S Miss 290

Houston Baptist 344

Lost to #86 DePaul on road. Lost by 11 to IA on neutral court. Lost at home to KY and to Creighton on neutral court.  Living on neutral court win over LVille.

Interesting.   So thinking about the x 1 at home,  x 1.2 neutral, and x 1.4 away.  The reverse has to be true when you lose.  

Losing at home has to be equally damnimg in reverse as it would to win on the road.  

Wouldn't loses at home be weighted x 1.4, lose on neutral 1.2 and lose away only at 1?  

22 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Interesting.   So thinking about the x 1 at home,  x 1.2 neutral, and x 1.4 away.  The reverse has to be true when you lose.  

Losing at home has to be equally damnimg in reverse as it would to win on the road.  

Wouldn't loses at home be weighted x 1.4, lose on neutral 1.2 and lose away only at 1?  

You got questions that only Joe Lunardi knows the answers to.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If so, it only affects the Hoosiers. Tx Tech #22 NET. Non conference:

E Ill 241

UTRGV 261

Tn St 268

LIU Bklyn 271

CSU Bakersfield 282

Bethune-Cookman 287

S Miss 290

Houston Baptist 344

Lost to #86 DePaul on road. Lost by 11 to IA on neutral court. Lost at home to KY and to Creighton on neutral court.  Living on neutral court win over LVille.

No doubt there are head scratchers ranked higher that shouldn't be.  I was just pointing out that it's not just about our lack of road wins and home losses.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who would have ever thought that in order to understand sports you have to be good at calculus.

You just got to be good at "fuzzy math"...always remember you can make stats fit what a particular agenda is.

19 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

No doubt there are head scratchers ranked higher that shouldn't be.  I was just pointing out that it's not just about our lack of road wins and home losses.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

It's just that there's been this perception in the media that IU is being penalized for playing a weak non-conference schedule. Many teams ahead of them in the NET rankings played significantly weaker schedules.

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It's just that there's been this perception in the media that IU is being penalized for playing a weak non-conference schedule. Many teams ahead of them in the NET rankings played significantly weaker schedules.

Well that perception was reality in those early season games.   And yes the schedule got much better by December.  

But anyway I think we all know that the NET is flawed.   Perception shouldn't play into that ranking at all.   Something about it sure doesn't like us though.

Go Hoosiers!!!

9 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Well that perception was reality in those early season games.   And yes the schedule got much better by December.  

But anyway I think we all know that the NET is flawed.   Perception shouldn't play into that ranking at all.   Something about it sure doesn't like us though.

Go Hoosiers!!!

At this point, it makes absolutely zero sense.  Minnesota, two games under .500, who we swept this season, is a full 17 spots ahead of us in the NET at 43. They have the same number of road wins, but one fewer neutral site win.  It seems like if IU had lost a few games by fewer than 10 points, we'd be in the 20's-30's right now.  That seems like it's the only thing that could logically be affecting the ranking that negatively.

Purdue, currently fighting to make the NIT at one game above .500, is a full 27 spots ahead at 33.

I really hope the committee looks at the team sheets and realizes the NET is screwed up this year.  IU's resume is a lot better than their NET ranking.

On the way home from work and listening to CBS radio they had Jerry Palm on there.  They asked him about the NET and he said the net is not used to pick the teams.  What they use the net for is to look at individual teams schedule and not to see if a team deserves a bid.  e said there were a couple of teams with a net in the 30's last year that were left out and a team in the 70's that was in the tournament.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

On the way home from work and listening to CBS radio they had Jerry Palm on there.  They asked him about the NET and he said the net is not used to pick the teams.  What they use the net for is to look at individual teams schedule and not to see if a team deserves a bid.  e said there were a couple of teams with a net in the 30's last year that were left out and a team in the 70's that was in the tournament.

Nice to hear, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Then why even have that stupid thing is it's not going to be accurate or usable.  NCAA at it's best

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Then why even have that stupid thing is it's not going to be accurate or usable.  NCAA at it's best

They use it to see what kind of schedule you play and uses your opponent NET as a barometer on who you played.  When looking at IU they are not going to say since you have a NET of 59 you are not going to get in.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They use it to see what kind of schedule you play and uses your opponent NET as a barometer on who you played.  When looking at IU they are not going to say since you have a NET of 59 you are not going to get in.

Scott embracing analytics/metrics?!?!

What next? @dbmhoosier sporting an "I ❤️ Archie" t-shirt"?

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not embracing it at all because I rather use the eye test but explaining how they use it.

But beauty is in the eye (test) of the beholder...

Hence the need for analytics...

Come on man...I won't tell the Knightstown school marm and the optometrist you're cheating on them...😁

Archived