Coronavirus

Reacher

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I will say that I have clients and friends who live in NYC and not one of them take the virus lightly. I may never forget talking to one of my clients in NYC in April, she was on the verge of tears explaining the constant eire sounds of sirens. Yes we have a better grasp on transmission and have better treatments now, but experiences (or lack of) sure have a way of shaping perceptions and behavior.

If I avoid a car accident by forgetting to check my blind spot...I tend to drive overly cautious and triple check my blind spot for the following 3 months. haha.  Couldn't imagine what the memories of a deserted city and constant ambulance sirens would do to your psyche. Thanks for sharing Lost. 

We knew so little back then and the number of deaths every day was just staggering. I recall walking around the block at night in April and not seeing a single person. All of the grates of businesses were pulled down. No traffic on the streets. Just sirens.

It's not funny or PC to say this, but my wife and I often said this while sitting on the terrace at night, "I guess we'll just sit here and watch the world burn."

We didn't know if there would be mass hunger, riots, violence. Just so much unknown at that point.

Totally relate to your clients and it does show why we here in NYC (most of us) are still super cautious. The barely avoiding a car accident analogy is super apt!

@tdhoosier

You make a good point about experiences shaping perception.

For me, I know 2 people who have had a mild case of it and dont know anyone who has died from it. Everything seems normal here. So it's hard to imagine what it's like elsewhere.

I do not deny that it's real.  But for myself I'm not worried about it. I wear the mask where required and keep a wide berth when walking by people. It is pretty easy for me to social distance where I am. 

I also do the same when I miss a car in my blind spot. It gets exhausting quadruple checking my blind spot all the time though. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

Honestly, it doesn't matter what happens from here on out with the virus.  Nothing that happens in the U.S. is going to be on the level of what New York & New Jersey went through at the onset of the virus.  At that time, we really had no idea what we are dealing with.  It was new and it was frightening. 

Going forward, no matter how bad it may be in Florida, Texas, and California, it won't be as bad as what New York went through.  I'm not saying people won't get sick or won't die.  But, the knowledge gained over the last 4-5 months offers those states an advantage that New York did not have.  

I'm personally concerned about how the infection numbers are trending in Indiana.  But, at the same time, i have a better idea of what those numbers mean than I did when this virus first hit.  So, the key word is 'concerned' versus 'panic'.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@tdhoosier

For me, I know 2 people who have had a mild case of it and dont know anyone who has died from it. Everything seems normal here. So it's hard to imagine what it's like elsewhere.

I do not deny that it's real.  But for myself I'm not worried about it. I wear the mask where required and keep a wide berth when walking by people. It is pretty easy for me to social distance where I am. 

I also do the same when I miss a car in my blind spot. It gets exhausting quadruple checking my blind spot all the time though. 

I now know several people who have COVID (and it's rough), and a colleague has lost 3 family members to the virus. They died. That hits very close to home. It remains bad here in Texas (not on the level of what NYC went through, but it's just staying here). It's very real. Mask-wearing and social distancing has improved with Governor Abbot ordering mask-wearing and forcing businesses to follow suit. At some point we'll get past this virus, but it's very much here still.

• Sad 2

Of all the reactions related to Covid-19, releasing violent criminals from prison is right up there at top of the bad ones.  I can't see under any circumstances why someone would think that would be a good idea.  Story is about a rapist in Virginia that was part of a Covid release that went and killed his accuser upon getting out of prison.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/rape-suspect-washington-post-alexandria-crime/65-13310ff6-43bf-444d-acc3-e229d7699b6b

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@tdhoosier

You state that you are not worried about it, but you're also aware of it and wear the mask and keep a wide birth of others. I honestly think that's the perfect place to be at this point. Not worried enough to let it consume you, but also aware enough or smart enough to know that there are steps you can take to protect others and yourself.

It's kind of where we are now. At first, we were terrified of our groceries in late March/early April. Looking back, that was a bit insane. Now we know that you don't have to wash down every bottle of wine you bring in the house or let your deliveries sit for three days before opening them. Sure, we realize we probably overreacted, but with everything happening around us, we were genuinely worried about catching it and getting really sick. My wife has had lung collapses and surgeries, so I was terrified that she would catch it.

We know a handful of people who have had it and recovered - two that had a rough time of recovering from it. We also know a few people who have died from it, and there was a person in our building who we now know died from it. That makes you think twice before hopping in the tiny elevator in your building (I've been taking the stairs to our fourth floor apartment regularly).

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Honestly, it doesn't matter what happens from here on out with the virus.  Nothing that happens in the U.S. is going to be on the level of what New York & New Jersey went through at the onset of the virus.  At that time, we really had no idea what we are dealing with.  It was new and it was frightening. 

Going forward, no matter how bad it may be in Florida, Texas, and California, it won't be as bad as what New York went through.  I'm not saying people won't get sick or won't die.  But, the knowledge gained over the last 4-5 months offers those states an advantage that New York did not have.  

I'm personally concerned about how the infection numbers are trending in Indiana.  But, at the same time, i have a better idea of what those numbers mean than I did when this virus first hit.  So, the key word is 'concerned' versus 'panic'.   

Thank goodness that no other place will go through that. No other place in the US has the density or will be caught unawares like that. We know a bit more now, not enough, but more. It may be bad in other places - the FL daily deaths have not been great - but it's not going to be 800 deaths a day bad in one location.

I look at IN (family) and MD (go there a lot) data a lot and IN does worry me a bit. Luckily my Dad and grandmother (she's 90!) in Southern IN take it very seriously. My Dad remembers the phone conversations we had in late March/April when things were bad here in NYC.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Of all the reactions related to Covid-19, releasing violent criminals from prison is right up there at top of the bad ones.  I can't see under any circumstances why someone would think that would be a good idea.  Story is about a rapist in Virginia that was part of a Covid release that went and killed his accuser upon getting out of prison.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/rape-suspect-washington-post-alexandria-crime/65-13310ff6-43bf-444d-acc3-e229d7699b6b

There have been many of those cases in Chicago. I recall at least a couple murders within days of being released. 

12 minutes ago, Reacher said:

There have been many of those cases in Chicago. I recall at least a couple murders within days of being released. 

There was a gangbanger released in NY without bail a day or two ago that proceeded to carry out 3 murders in Brooklyn.  

Letting non violent offenders go Im ok with, but violent offenders just no. I could care less what happens to violent offenders.  

I guess they have to make room for mask violators and people trying to open their businesses against mandates. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Smh. I just..  mmm that pisses me off so much I cannot see straight. I hope the family members sue every single person responsible. 

Pensions should be taken. This is awful. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Smh. I just..  mmm that pisses me off so much I cannot see straight. I hope the family members sue every single person responsible. 

Pensions should be taken. This is awful. 

And douchebags want to take the right of self defense away. Not In my house. Never!!

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 6

On 7/31/2020 at 12:16 PM, IUFLA said:

Mine too...IMO "All Things Must Pass" is the best post Beatles album any of the 4 put out... 

Funny, I’m the age where I discovered solo Beatles first and then backtracked to the Beatles.  But my dad filled me in quite a bit.  

I like a lot solo Beatles material.  Not legendary stuff for the most part like the Beatles put out, but still good music.  If you took all their material in a given year and spliced it together like a Beatles album, they would be quality albums that would go deep with tracks we know.  You’re not getting Rain or Hey Jude or Let it Be or Something or Strawberry Fields or Penny Lane and on and on because they weren’t together to polish stuff up brilliantly.  That’s what they lost being apart.  

There are a ton of good George Harrison solo tracks.  There are ones people know, but underrated ones like Love Comes to Everyone, or This is Love.  If you take George’s Beatles compositions and the ones from his solo career, it’s a very good list that would have been a legendary career on its own merits.     

Paul gets crap for having some sub-par tracks—and rightfully so—but he’s so prolific that there’s still good ones.  Jet, Junior’s Farm, Band on the Run, Maybe I’m Amazed, Let me Roll It, Letting Go, Coming Up, and on and on.  But he’s still Paul and there is a coolness to it all.   John has some fantastic ones like Give Me Truth.  I’d love to hear what he would have had to say of all the events of the past 40 years.  Just tragic.  I love all the Beatles individually so I wouldn’t pick among them.  I choose them all, lol. It’s amazing how much talent that was together in that group.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 12:57 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

I now know several people who have COVID (and it's rough), and a colleague has lost 3 family members to the virus. They died. That hits very close to home. It remains bad here in Texas (not on the level of what NYC went through, but it's just staying here). It's very real. Mask-wearing and social distancing has improved with Governor Abbot ordering mask-wearing and forcing businesses to follow suit. At some point we'll get past this virus, but it's very much here still.

Sorry to hear that. My condolences to your colleague.  I have a buddy who had it earlier. He was blind in one eye twice and hospitalized both times.  It got infected.  Very scary.  He was aggressively sick for like ten weeks.  It was early so the testing was terrible with unintelligible results.  There’s still a lot we don’t know including the long term effect on organs.  We can make all the assumptions (and there are too many out there) we want but there are lots of unknowns about this scourge that won’t be resolved by anything but time.  

As an example, there was a prevailing wisdom that we’d get a breather during the summer because of heat and wouldn’t you know obviously Phoenix, Miami, and Houston got drilled in the dog days of summer.  

When it became clear how serious this was by the start of the B1G tourney, I posted at the time that this gave me that post 9/11 negative feel.  It’s a different event obviously but the dread in our collective psyche is there and probably worse now because it’s so widespread and the number of deaths is off the charts.

I’m concerned about how the next half decade is going to go for us economically and psychologically.  We always win as a country but it’s going to be a tough row to hoe for awhile.  I don’t think we just flip a switch.  There are a number of economic problems under the surface that are problematic due to mismanagement by both parties. The debt to GDP is awful.  The money supply has soared to astronomical levels where we throw trillions around like it’s nothing.  Interest rates are crazy low.  All of these abnormal economic conditions need to be worked out and it doesn’t look easy.  Monetizing the amount of debt on our plate will likely have consequences.  

On the plus side, I believe the harder it is, the longer and better the upside will be when we come out if it, kinda like how positive the 1950s were and we started rolling again.     

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

This may seem like an odd request, but has anybody come across any good documentaries, articles, podcasts about the Spanish Flu or American history in the year 1918? 

I just keep coming across little tibbits about that time and think it'd be interesting to hear more. I never knew until recently that the Spanish Flu did not come from Spain. The US and European media outlets were discouraged from reporting on it because the governments believed it detracted from the war efforts. Spain was the only country who reported on it, thus, it became known as the Spanish Flu. Also curious about what lead us into the roaring 20s, policy-wise or otherwise. 

History tends to repeat itself. For some reason learning that we aren't completely in a new precedence historically brings me comfort. I don't know....I guess I'm weird. haha.

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This may seem like an odd request, but has anybody come across any good documentaries, articles, podcasts about the Spanish Flu or American history in the year 1918? 

I just keep coming across little tibbits about that time and think it'd be interesting to hear more. I never knew until recently that the Spanish Flu did not come from Spain. The US and European media outlets were discouraged from reporting on it because the governments believed it detracted from the war efforts. Spain was the only country who reported on it, thus, it became known as the Spanish Flu. Also curious about what lead us into the roaring 20s, policy-wise or otherwise. 

History tends to repeat itself. For some reason learning that we aren't completely in a new precedence historically brings me comfort. I don't know....I guess I'm weird. haha.

Watched this last month...

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This is a 20 to 30  minute documentary that came out just before COVID-19 took off. Mentions many past pandemics.

I found it very interesting. And it does touch on the Spanish flu/war.

If you have netflix, its a good, short watch.

https://shadowandact.com/the-pandemic-episode-of-netflixs-explained-gave-us-an-eerie-coronavirus-warning

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the recommendations guys - will look into those. 

Just came across Nancy Bristow, who wrote a book called "American Pandemic - Lost Worlds of the 1918 Influenza Epidemic". A keyword search in your podcast app of choice will bring up a lot of interviews w/ her. I'm listening to one now in the background from 2018. I wanted to hear something outside the influence of and relation to COVID. 

Edited by tdhoosier