High School Hoops '20-'21

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Correct. About the only time you can do it. 

We do that, a couple of different ways. 

And to your point, we didn't spend much time during practice on free throws. But this was coach's way of showing how important they are, and that we better make time to improve on our own. The assistants were always available one on one for those that struggled. All we had to do was ask.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

And to your point, we didn't spend much time during practice on free throws. But this was coach's way of showing how important they are, and that we better make time to improve on our own. The assistants were always available one on one for those that struggled. All we had to do was ask.

Yep.. and then we offer some time in pre practice, as well.. also before school. 

Just not as simple as saying "work on it in practice." 

Basketball has evolved so much. Coaches have to prepare for press, half court traps, 2-3, 1-3-1, match up zones... developing shooting, ball handling, install your offense (which is a little more complicated than down screen/cross screen) etc. Then putting in your own defensive rotations, how to defend ball screens multiple ways.. so much. 

We also missed 3 weeks worth of practice from Covid this winter. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I missed this until I was looking at box scores this morning. Lawrence North went 6-17 from the line. Those numbers are going to sit with a team for a looooooooooooong time. 

Could not even imagine the second guessing you would have ....I still sometimes daily get bothered daily by Hayward’s missed shot Hank basket screwing up the inside Kick Seattle  passing instead of running to marshawn lynch at the goal line and Atlanta missing a field goal in regulation .....I didn’t even have anything to do with them so those kids have to be sick 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yep.  In part due to IU's problems at the line, and the fact that Silver Creek struggled all year there as well, I've really started paying attention to how teams do at the line.  More than ever, I appreciate kids that can go 6-6 or 7-8 at the line during a game.  There's just not as many out there that can do that as there used to be.  I honestly don't think it's emphasized in practice as much as it should.  There are probably coaches that don't want to spend valuable practice time on it and expect the kids to do it on there own, which may or may not be happening.  

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And that's the part that just won't make sense to me. In a driving world or getting to the rim world.....players will be at the free throw line so much you'd think it would be 1B in practice.

I was just the opposite when I played. People were always bigger, faster,etc.....but since Alford was my idle growing up I made sure I was 90% from the line too.

6-17 is a number they'll (players and coaches) be looking at forever.

Exactly ....and it’s honestly something that can be taught and improved in most players 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

SC shot 70% from the foul line. That's a very solid number. I guess I don't understand why SC would need to change ANYTHING they do in practice? 

They have a 3 peat if it weren't for Rona. 

Basketball isn't a sport you can vastly improve in just the 2 hours a day to practice. They should be shooting FTs on their own, there isn't time in practice (or much) for FTs. 

@Seeking6 @5fouls 

Have you guys ever put together a practice plan? Or seen how time consuming shooting even 20 FTs is? 

Something you don't have time for on a consistent basis, in practice. 

He was mainly emphasizing lawerence north ....sc may have shot the best from the line of all 8 teams.  I agree you can’t accomplish what you need to in 2 hours and you have to rely on kids to put work in on their own ...that being said if it’s not a team strength you have to kyp ( know your personnel ) ....I would schedule 630 am practice 4 days a week or at least there’s and make the morning 1 hour and fifteen minutes or free throws and partner shooting  most gyms have favilities with a minimum of 6 goals and most have separate practice areas that would add 6-12 more ,...you can make a lot of progress there 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

He was mainly emphasizing lawerence north ....sc may have shot the best from the line of all 8 teams.  I agree you can’t accomplish what you need to in 2 hours and you have to rely on kids to put work in on their own ...that being said if it’s not a team strength you have to kyp ( know your personnel ) ....I would schedule 630 am practice 4 days a week or at least there’s and make the morning 1 hour and fifteen minutes or free throws and partner shooting  most gyms have favilities with a minimum of 6 goals and most have separate practice areas that would add 6-12 more ,...you can make a lot of progress there 

You ever worked many 14-17 year olds to get them to come to 6am practice? 

Who's bringing the kids that don't have their license? 

Are you going to hold 2 a days during the season? 

• Haha 1

Just now, btownqb said:

Blackford did at least three per week during the whole season up till about a week before sectional ....made a big diff in team shooting ....there was some problems with kids who maybe didn’t have super involved parents but the seniors arranged to help pick kids up who may not have a ride ....may not be feasible in larger or urban settings but worked here

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And to further that point yes working with teenage kids now is dramatically different than 15 years ago and it’s a different universe from the 90’s and decades prior.  Between dealing with egos and parents that kinda buy in is tough because you spend valuable coaching time managing drama and being a psychiatrist too .....that being said if you get a group  that mostly gets along and wants to win they will do it if the older kids do. 

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Blackford did at least three per week during the whole season up till about a week before sectional ....made a big diff in team shooting ....there was some problems with kids who maybe didn’t have super involved parents but the seniors arranged to help pick kids up who may not have a ride ....may not be feasible in larger or urban settings but worked here

You ever been to Jennings County? They have kids that live 30 mins from the school. 

You cannot hold 2 a days during the season. They might have had players come in before school and shoot. (Nearly all teams do).. but you aren't having 2 full practices a day 3 or 4 times a week in season. 

Does anyone know that LN didnt work on FTs? Is it completely possible they just had a bad day at the line?  

2 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Why did they have it that early in the morning?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Why did they have it that early in the morning?

Go 630 to 745 and just work on shooting free throws and extras ....like btownqb pointed out there is so much to cover in your 330-530 Slot that’s basically the only choice if you want to dedicate time to it 

in season if you play a tues fri sat you would only go mon and thurs but if it’s a week of only fri sat games you can get 3 or 4 mornings in and it goes a LONG ways 

Edited by IU/Butler/Notre Dame
  • Like 1

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Go 630 to 745 and just work on shooting free throws and extras ....like btownqb pointed out there is so much to cover in your 330-530 Slot that’s basically the only choice if you want to dedicate time to it 

A lot of kids do that now. We'd have 4 or 5.. 2 or 3 times a week. We had 5 SOs on the varsity.. it was mostly them coming in, so it was just their parents getting them here. 

• Like 2

I don't think that was legal in my day.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

A lot of kids do that now. We'd have 4 or 5.. 2 or 3 times a week. We had 5 SOs on the varsity.. it was mostly them coming in, so it was just their parents getting them here. 

Those are the kids you don’t have to worry about and are awesome to have ...they’ll be the better for it.  That’s kinda how it started 4 years ago a few kids just coming in with brown but by late his sophomore year it went from voluntary to “encouraged” and through the last two years it was “ required “

• Like 1

You want to be a good FT shooter/good shooter in general for next winter?

Get shots up 4 times a week, game speed.. along with about 1000 FTs a week, get in the weight room 3 or 4 times a week.. spend time on form, and play 2 or 3 times week. Get up and down.. play with your buddies, pick up games. Shoot game shots, read screens the correct way. Communicate as you do it. Build confidence. 

You can't just "rise to the occasion".. you revert back to your training when the opportunity arises. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You want to be a good FT shooter/good shooter in general for next winter?

Get shots up 4 times a week, game speed.. along with about 1000 FTs a week, get in the weight room 3 or 4 times a week.. spend time on form, and play 2 or 3 times week. Get up and down.. play with your buddies, pick up games. Shoot game shots, read screens the correct way. Communicate as you do it. Build confidence. 

You can't just "rise to the occasion".. you revert back to your training when the opportunity arises. 

I’m a big fan of repetition and have always been a big fan of reverse engineering shooting.  I like to believe kids will get into pick up games as a form of leisure without to
much encouragement so anytime there are shooting issues I suggest as you recommended putting up 200 free throws per day if you get your form where you want on free throws it often translates to to your short jumpers and three point shooting  

I’m a big fan of repetition and have always been a big fan of reverse engineering shooting.  I like to believe kids will get into pick up games as a form of leisure without to
much encouragement so anytime there are shooting issues I suggest as you recommended putting up 200 free throws per day if you get your form where you want on free throws it often translates to to your short jumpers and three point shooting  

The biggest problem with FT shooting.. is its slow. Just takes a long time. 

Either way my only point in this whole thing was there is a lot of factors at play for a coach. Lots

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The biggest problem with FT shooting.. is its slow. Just takes a long time. 

Either way my only point in this whole thing was there is a lot of factors at play for a coach. Lots

Definitely true I’m sympathetic to the time crunches and trust me a psychology degree will be required before long to deal with egos and parents.  Also I liked your point about BLF.  I posted something similar the other day with respect to poor shooting.  I hung my hat on shooting and even if I’m off I’m close or consistent ...I’ve played at bankers life roughly five times and have never been more inconsistent in any other venue ....the sight lines and goals in a building that size are unique and can make a difference 

• Like 1