Big Ten 2020-2021

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not ready to give them the title just yet but Michigan looks as good as anyone in the country. They are FUN to watch. Coach Beilein  should be very proud, way to go Coach.

Well, it wasn't much of a test...

They made a good, experienced Wisconsin team look like a Wisconsin team from the 70s...As I said in this thread, it was 26-23 at the 10 minute mark of the 1st, and then zoooooom...over...The lead got to 30 and I quit watching...Michigan's walk-ons probably earned their letters last night...

They're definitely the team to beat in the B1G...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, it wasn't much of a test...

They made a good, experienced Wisconsin team look like a Wisconsin team from the 70s...As I said in this thread, it was 26-23 at the 10 minute mark of the 1st, and then zoooooom...over...The lead got to 30 and I quit watching...Michigan's walk-ons probably earned their letters last night...

They're definitely the team to beat in the B1G...

At 1 point it was a 43-6 run against a top 10 team. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

At 1 point it was a 43-6 run against a top 10 team. 

Dickinson looked a little lost at first, but he eventually took Potter and Reuvers to the woodshed...

Wagner was very tough...He's improved a LOT this year...And Mike Smith was a great pick up as a grad transfer from Columbia...

But Livers was the guy who got them started...I think he's the key guy for them...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Dickinson looked a little lost at first, but he eventually took Potter and Reuvers to the woodshed...

Wagner was very tough...He's improved a LOT this year...And Mike Smith was a great pick up as a grad transfer from Columbia...

But Livers was the guy who got them started...I think he's the key guy for them...

I like how the just play relaxed. Whether it's 1 pass and a 3 or run the offense to get a layup they play great offensive and spread the floor and attack driving lanes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I like how the just play relaxed. Whether it's 1 pass and a 3 or run the offense to get a layup they play great offensive and spread the floor and attack driving lanes. 

I know we all think Juwan Howard still has to prove himself as a coach, but I think as long as Phil Martelli is around, we'll never know...

The guy had some good teams at St Joes, and he was always well thought of by his peers...Helping Howard with this kind of talent shows that...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Guess ketchup kid wasn’t the savior they thought. Uk down 20. They are blaming it on the baseball player that died. Not trying to say that isn’t sad but it wasn’t like he was playing with them this year and likely none of the kids on this team even knew him because they weren’t even on the team last year.

KY shot 34%, 22% from 3, and had 19 TOs

AL 14/30 from 3

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The fans want Cal fired but his buyout is supposedly around $70M 🤣

Thing about UK fans/SEC,etc...is they think they should be doing exactly what Saban is doing at Bama and every year Saban puts up another title it hurts them that much more. Silly expectations for sure. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thing about UK fans/SEC,etc...is they think they should be doing exactly what Saban is doing at Bama and every year Saban puts up another title it hurts them that much more. Silly expectations for sure. 

Saban gets his kids for typically 3-4 years though. Cal gets about 6 months. They have tons of talent but they don’t have that killer instinct. Every few years he will get a class that gets it but more and more these kids are only interested in what UK can do for their draft stock and not what they have to do for it.

• Like 1

I know no one else will feel this way but I feel sorry for Brooks. Kid just doesn’t fit in there. He is team oriented and seems to be a nice kid. That team is just generally selfish and not a leader among them. He really got banboozeled by Cal and his parents. I guarantee he would have been happier here and in a much better position to help his nba stock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Agree. It’s not so much a strategic chess match with them. They flow very well together off of opportunity and instinct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I know we all think Juwan Howard still has to prove himself as a coach, but I think as long as Phil Martelli is around, we'll never know...

The guy had some good teams at St Joes, and he was always well thought of by his peers...Helping Howard with this kind of talent shows that...

Martelli is a great head coach in an assistant's role, but he doesn't have an assistant's typical responsibilities. I took this snippet from an article:

When he was fired, Phil was adamant he would only take a head coaching position, and many believed he wouldn’t even consider going back to being an assistant. He had coasted for too long as the head man and going back to the daily grind of scouting, recruiting, and menial tasks aren’t glamorous or fitting for a guy with a resume like Martelli’s.

But then again, Phil isn’t treated that way in Ann Arbor; he’s not doing the typical jobs that are left to assistants. During practice, he stands off and watches as the staff works with there assigned players, overseeing the entire operation. During games, Phil doesn’t stand up like he used to, that’s left up to Juwan, although he keeps his head coaching mentality, especially for the particulars: timeouts, roster movement, and other tasks that a first-year might forget in the heat of the moment.

Will he leave if that day comes? Most likely, but for now, he’s sticking around to coach the players, mentor the staff, and guide Juwan to glory.

Looks like a win win for both parties. Props to Michigan for making this happen and finding Howard a great mentor who is humble enough to sit in the background. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Martelli is a great head coach in an assistant's role, but he doesn't have an assistant's typical responsibilities. I took this snippet from an article:

Looks like a win win for both parties. Props to Michigan for making this happen and finding Howard a great mentor who is humble enough to sit in the background. 

Great article...thanks...

I've always wondered, if Michigan goes far in the tourney, will the NBA come calling for Howard? Would Juwan take an NBA gig?

That might be a worst case for the B1G, because Martelli would have to be first choice, and he'd be at a school with the profile to attract talent and win big...Kinda a John Beilein reboot...

I'd rather Phil get another head gig somewhere first...

Edited by IUFLA

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've always wondered, if Michigan goes far in the tourney, will the NBA come calling for Howard? Would Juwan take an NBA gig?

That might be a worst case for the B1G, because Martelli would have to be first choice, and he'd be at a school with the profile to attract talent and win big...Kinda a John Beilein reboot...

Maybe that is why Phil is at Michigan, to be the coach when Howard jumps to the NBA?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe that is why Phil is at Michigan, to be the coach when Howard jumps to the NBA?

Maybe...

Or maybe Juwan was smart enough to know what he didn't know about coaching 18-22 years old kids and Martelli just kinda fell into his lap chock full of that knowledge...I don't think they had an extended relationship before Phil was hired...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Either way you look at it, they're both benefitting each other. If UM were to make a run it will prop up both of their values. 

I don't think UM would've hired Howard/Martelli if they thought Howard would make a jump to the NBA in his first few years and I don't see Juwan using his alma mater as a stepping stone (at least not this soon). Just doesn't make sense.....ADs want stability. If anybody is going anywhere, I'd think it'd be Martelli. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Either way you look at it, they're both benefitting each other. If UM were to make a run it will prop up both of their values. 

I don't think UM would've hired Howard/Martelli if they thought Howard would make a jump to the NBA in his first few years and I don't see Juwan using his alma mater as a stepping stone (at least not this soon). Just doesn't make sense.....ADs want stability. If anybody is going anywhere, I'd think it'd be Martelli. 

Howtelli... :D 

I don't know...I've always figured Howard for an NBA guy...Maybe I'm wrong but we'll see...His tear-jerker of a press conference when he was hired certainly made one think he was all in on his alma mater...

If Michigan DOES make a run, I'd think Martelli would be a hot name come April/May...

41 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Wonder if any great coaches in the Bloomington area that would be interested in a similar gig?

• Like 1

I watched the whole Mich/Wisc game last night.  It was a good game right up until the 10 minute mark.  Then the wheel just disappeared from Wisc.  Michigan started dropping 3s, got Wisconsin's big with 2 fouls, the coach took him out and Michigan upped the defense and just laid it on.  The 40-6 run was like watching a car wreck in slow motion.  Each shot on each end just expanded the gap and you couldn't believe Wisconsin didn't take more timeouts or change up the line up or put their big back in.  Nope, just watched his team get murdered on live TV.

They are really good but they are not going to shoot like that every night.  But i will say this, if you leave their outside shooters open, they will bury you very quickly.  Wisconsin couldn't guard to save their lives on the perimeter and it was their undoing.

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I watched the whole Mich/Wisc game last night.  It was a good game right up until the 10 minute mark.  Then the wheel just disappeared from Wisc.  Michigan started dropping 3s, got Wisconsin's big with 2 fouls, the coach took him out and Michigan upped the defense and just laid it on.  The 40-6 run was like watching a car wreck in slow motion.  Each shot on each end just expanded the gap and you couldn't believe Wisconsin didn't take more timeouts or change up the line up or put their big back in.  Nope, just watched his team get murdered on live TV.

They are really good but they are not going to shoot like that every night.  But i will say this, if you leave their outside shooters open, they will bury you very quickly.  Wisconsin couldn't guard to save their lives on the perimeter and it was their undoing.

That’s how NW beat IU, PSU came close, and Neb was in it until the end.  The 3 ball.  

Is that an inherent issue with the pack-like D?  

From an offensive perspective, it can be risky to live and die by the 3, but for some reason, teams that play that way always seem to execute vs IU. 

5 minutes ago, Bustout said:

That’s how NW beat IU, PSU came close, and Neb was in it until the end.  The 3 ball.  

From an offensive perspective, it can be risky to live and die by the 3, but for some reason, teams that play that way always seem to execute vs IU. 

The pack line is supposed to be able to extend out and push the 3 point shooter out off the line to keep that from happening.  Maybe we don't have the athletes or are still learning the system or just have had bad luck when it comes to when it comes to other team shooting against us.

I honestly don't know, since out defense is pretty good in my opinion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I will take good shooters against the pack line all day long. It's difficult to take away drive lanes and recover quickly enough to close out or challenge shooters 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The pack line is supposed to be able to extend out and push the 3 point shooter out off the line to keep that from happening.  Maybe we don't have the athletes or are still learning the system or just have had bad luck when it comes to when it comes to other team shooting against us.

I honestly don't know, since out defense is pretty good in my opinion.

It's not simply three-point shooting. In the Neb game Neb sagged off guys like Galloway and Race, and then, as planned, got out running on the break off the long misses. They also spread out their offense on the other end. Teams are beating the pack line not by just hoisting 3's, but by going 4 or 5-out which spreads out the pack line and opens lanes. Hell I learned that coaching youth basketball, it's a traditional way to play against the pack line, in youth basketball it's touted as positionless ball to help teach all players how to move the ball on offense. This isn't a criticism of the pack line, Bennet, Sean Miller et al run it, it's just that the way the players extend/move within the pack line to adjust to spread offenses is something they have to adjust to.

• Like 1