'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And some don't think he's likely to be drafted in the first round? 

Dude is killing it. He has some weaknesses to work on for the next level -- has to be better about going over his weak shoulder and putting it up with his off hand. Needs to take and show the ability to knock down more outside shots (those he's taken imo have mostly looked in good form). Has to show more consistent effort on both ends (definitely not talking about the Wiscy game here), no taking time off in getting back on D. But he's obviously playing at the top of the pool, and nationally. 

You know the NBA doesn't draft on college stats, just look at Luka Garza.  Garza came back this year because he was told he wouldn't be drafted high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I believe they were supposed to have the proposed rules ready by the end of 2020 to be voted on in the spring and then take effect at the beginning of the '21-'22 school year. We know they're supposed to be allowed to earn NIL money at that time, just not what the exact rules will be yet.

Edit: I think the law passed in Florida went in to effect at the beginning of this year. I don't know if that was delayed to allow the NCAA to catch up.

That more or less gels with what I thought was happening, but this volleyball player is doing it now, in Michigan. I believe she is D2, so I don't know if that changes things at all.

22 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

That more or less gels with what I thought was happening, but this volleyball player is doing it now, in Michigan. I believe she is D2, so I don't know if that changes things at all.

I don't know about D2 at all but I thought they were on the same timeline as D1.

It appears D1 has the rules purposed now and, unsurprisingly, some people think they fall short of what's needed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/11/13/ncaa-nil-name-image-likeness-proposal/6281507002/

It appears the vote was supposed to happen soon, which is much sooner than I thought. NCAA wants to delay this vote, of course.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2925947-report-ncaa-d-i-council-could-table-landmark-vote-on-nil-legislation.amp.html

There is also at least 1 bill in Congress purposed regarding NIL that may force the NCAA to make changes they don't want to if it passes, which had a greater chance more than it had last week.

D2 NIL:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/dii-presidents-council-advances-name-image-and-likeness-proposals

It appears Michigan had also been looking at passing a law but the target date is Dec '21.

So everything I've seen seems to point to it shouldn't be allowed yet even at D2.

Edited by go_iu_bb

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Didn't want to start a new thread on this.  But, at this point in the season, these are TJD's national rankings in some stats. 

1st - 2 point FG attempts

2nd - 2 point FGs made (to Garza)

2nd in FTs made (to Marcus Carr)

2nd in FTs attempted (Jalen Moore of Oakland)

9th in Minutes played

6th in defensive rebounds

8th in total rebounds

4th in total points

8th in Defensive Win Shares

7th in Total Win Shares

I know some think he doesn't get enough touches, but these numbers indicate otherwise.

2020-21 Leaders | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

The one that is concerning to me is the minutes played. CAM mentioned it in the presser yesterday... Trayce played all 49 minutes and he was worn down. It was a factor in the lack of execution at the end of the game and further illustrates how Brunk being out has affected this team 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't know about D2 at all but I thought they were on the same timeline as D1.

It appears D1 has the rules purposed now and, unsurprisingly, some people think they fall short of what's needed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/11/13/ncaa-nil-name-image-likeness-proposal/6281507002/

It appears the vote was supposed to happen soon, which is much sooner than I thought. NCAA wants to delay this vote, of course.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2925947-report-ncaa-d-i-council-could-table-landmark-vote-on-nil-legislation.amp.html

There is also at least 1 bill in Congress purposed regarding NIL that may force the NCAA to make changes they don't want to if it passes, which had a greater chance more than it had last week.

D2 NIL:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/dii-presidents-council-advances-name-image-and-likeness-proposals

It appears Michigan had also been looking at passing a law but the target date is Dec '21.

So everything I've seen seems to point to it shouldn't be allowed yet even at D2.

I reread my article, she's at an NAIA school, I don't think I fully realized what that meant before.

Still, it remains very possible that next year, or at least sometime soon, it will be more profitable to be at IU than anything short of a first rounder. 

I will welcome that, both ideologically and as an IU fan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I reread my article, she's at an NAIA school, I don't think I fully realized what that meant before.

Still, it remains very possible that next year, or at least sometime soon, it will be more profitable to be at IU than anything short of a first rounder. 

I will welcome that, both ideologically and as an IU fan.

I've been saying for a while now that this could convince players to stay in school longer. Of course, the NCAA will probably find a way to screw it up. They're only really don't it because they're being forced to, after all, and not because they actually want what's best for the athletes.