'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Knew it at the time and we've seen it 2 more times since. Those FSU, Wisconsin, and Illinois OT losses change the entire perception of the team and program. 14-6 and 5 wins over top 10-20 teams has a firmly in the top 20....vs what we are today which is 11-9 and around a 9 or 10 seed.

Amazing how razor thin the difference can be from control of winning to program....to having every step dissected each night. 

Waiting on @Parakeet Jones and the perfunctory "yeah but"

😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I just hope come tourney time the committee actually breaks down the schedule and losses. So close to being ranked and on the 4/5 line. 

I think they will look at close losses and such. I just hate that we have put ourselves in this position.  I still maintain that going 0.500 in B1G is a stone cold lock to get in.  Sub 0.500 makes me nervous.  Not impossible, but no guarantees at that point. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think they will look at close losses and such. I just hate that we have put ourselves in this position.  I still maintain that going 0.500 in B1G is a stone cold lock to get in.  Sub 0.500 makes me nervous.  Not impossible, but no guarantees at that point. 

Trust me I'm all over the place. I tend to lean more on the optimist side of the house so when I look at our schedule and these close losses....literally so close but so far away. Not to mention those home losses to Northwestern, Purdue, and Rutgers.

But I also know if it was only once it's no big deal. When you have 6-7 games that close it says we are basically what a 11-9 team looks like in a tough conference. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me I'm all over the place. I tend to lean more on the optimist side of the house so when I look at our schedule and these close losses....literally so close but so far away. Not to mention those home losses to Northwestern, Purdue, and Rutgers.

But I also know if it was only once it's no big deal. When you have 6-7 games that close it says we are basically what a 11-9 team looks like in a tough conference. 

The home losses you mention are the killers. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Knew it at the time and we've seen it 2 more times since. Those FSU, Wisconsin, and Illinois OT losses change the entire perception of the team and program. 14-6 and 5 wins over top 10-20 teams has a firmly in the top 20....vs what we are today which is 11-9 and around a 9 or 10 seed.

Amazing how razor thin the difference can be from control of winning to program....to having every step dissected each night. 

I think I've moved past this phase. I said it in a past post: we're the 'woulda, shoulda, coulda' team. Every year, it's the same things that sets us back from being a good team. Injuries, free throws, bad shooting, free throws, a 'tight' offense that plays in fear, close games, free throws, etc. (did I mention free throws?)

And I understand the rationale for this belief. I was doing the same thing up until December. 

I did the same thing with Crean, thinking his guards will grow up, learn how to play defense, and stop turning the ball over. But there was a point when I realized Crean wasn't able to fix the problems that were holding us back - it was a flaw in his methods. Unfortunately those flaws were too big to overcome because they didn't translate into wins. 

I want CAM to change this team for the better. I really don't want to go through another coaching search. BUT the same problems are plaguing us. My fear is that they will always plague us. I so hope I am wrong and that CAM will turn this team around. I will root for him hard in the meantime. If I'm proven wrong I will be ecstatic. But there's a point for all fans in a new coach's tenure when the expectations shift from positive progression and glimpses of hope to straight up wins and losses. That point is now for me. It may be next year for others. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think I've moved past this phase. I said it in a past post: we're the 'woulda, shoulda, coulda' team. Every year, it's the same things that sets us back from being a good team. Injuries, free throws, bad shooting, free throws, a 'tight' offense that plays in fear, close games, free throws, etc. (did I mention free throws?)

And I understand the rationale for this belief. I was doing the same thing up until December. 

I did the same thing with Crean, thinking his guards will grow up, learn how to play defense, and stop turning the ball over. But there was a point when I realized Crean wasn't able to fix the problems that were holding us back - it was a flaw in his methods. Unfortunately those flaws were too big to overcome because they didn't translate into wins. 

I want CAM to change this team for the better. I really don't want to go through another coaching search. BUT the same problems are plaguing us. My fear is that they will always plague us. I so hope I am wrong and that CAM will turn this team around. I will root for him hard in the meantime. If I'm proven wrong I will be ecstatic. But there's a point for all fans in a new coach's tenure when the expectations shift from positive progression and glimpses of hope to straight up wins and losses. That point is now for me. It may be next year for others. 

All fair points. I'm still in the last paragraph crowd. I'll evaluate once the season ends and who is/isn't coming back. If certain guys come back I really can see this team taking a giant leap next year. If some guys head to the league or whatever....that's the time I'll be able to evaluate the best course. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All fair points. I'm still in the last paragraph crowd. I'll evaluate once the season ends and who is/isn't coming back. If certain guys come back I really can see this team taking a giant leap next year. If some guys head to the league or whatever....that's the time I'll be able to evaluate the best course. 

Get it. What you're hoping for next year, in my mind, was supposed to be happening this year: upperclassmen guards, a healthy Race, a 5 star point guard and a returning Trayce. My jaded side says: 'next year' always looks good on paper, but in reality it's like Lucy and the football.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Get it. What you're hoping for next year, in my mind, was supposed to be happening this year: upperclassmen guards, a healthy Race, a 5 star point guard and a returning Trayce. My jaded side says: 'next year' always looks good on paper, but in reality it's like Lucy and the football.

As a Cubs fan, this sounds kinda familiar.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting development. Gonzaga and BYU are talking about sitting out WCC conference tourney because they are tourney bound and don't see the need to risk injury or sickness,etc...

Here's my thing though. If Gonzaga/BYU sits out the NCAA should step in and say automatic bid goes to them not the conference tourney winner as it stands right now. You would have a lower WCC team that wouldn't get in over teams from power conferences that might be on the bubble. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting development. Gonzaga and BYU are talking about sitting out WCC conference tourney because they are tourney bound and don't see the need to risk injury or sickness,etc...

Here's my thing though. If Gonzaga/BYU sits out the NCAA should step in and say automatic bid goes to them not the conference tourney winner as it stands right now. You would have a lower WCC team that wouldn't get in over teams from power conferences that might be on the bubble. 

I had wondered about this scenario whenever the topic of teams sitting out conference tournaments came up.  The NCAA needs to get a handle on this and fast.  That means it will turn into a giant mess.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

i HATE the idea of living in fear.  you never know what's going to happen.  you might get hit by a car crossing the street tomorrow.  who knows?  my son's coach plans to play no one more than 15 minutes tonight because he knows they'll blow them out and doesn't want to risk anyone being exposed for 15 minutes by a player on the other team who might test positive.  on the same note, they are opting out of a make up game, but if it winds up mattering for 2nd place they have to play.  the coach and my son and other players are cheering to not have to play that game.  i just think it's a shame they aren't just living life and enjoying playing while they can.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If this is true then Gonzaga and BYU are playing with fire concerning their brethren in the WCC.  If I was the other schools I would kick them out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It also sounds like a forfeit for Gonzaga, and thus no perfect season. 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If they do that then they don't get an automatic bid for the tournament champion.

1 minute ago, rico said:

If this is true...the Zags just lost me as a fan.  

It wouldn't surprise me that a lot of top teams in their conferences do the same thing.  I like the conference tournaments but I think this year they should cancel them.  Why take a chance for a top team to catch the virus and take a chance of missing the NCAA Tournament.  Say you're a big ten team and test positive 5 days before the tournament to begin then you couldn't play in it.