'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

Just now, IU Scott said:

It wouldn't surprise me that a lot of top teams in their conferences do the same thing.  I like the conference tournaments but I think this year they should cancel them.  Why take a chance for a top team to catch the virus and take a chance of missing the NCAA Tournament.  Say you're a big ten team and test positive 5 days before the tournament to begin then you couldn't play in it.

understand that perspective, but we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow.  just play.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

understand that perspective, but we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow.  just play.  

I just understand what these teams will think and that is the conference tournament is not that big of a deal compared to the NCAA Tournament.  I just think this year it is not worth having the conference tournaments because there is a very good chance that some teams will get it and miss the actual tournament.  If that happened to IU I know I wouldn't be real happy.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I just understand what these teams will think and that is the conference tournament is not that big of a deal compared to the NCAA Tournament.  I just think this year it is not worth having the conference tournaments because there is a very good chance that some teams will get it and miss the actual tournament.  If that happened to IU I know I wouldn't be real happy.

Understood  What if you skip the conference tourney and then get quarantined after the 1st round of the NCAA tourney?

• Like 1

IMO cancelling the entirety of a conference tournament is completely different than a top team of a conference opting out of a tournament that is played. 

If the WCC wants to cancel the tournament to protect Gonzaga and BYU have at it, but if it isn't cancelled those teams should be taking a loss not a nothing. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It wouldn't surprise me that a lot of top teams in their conferences do the same thing.  I like the conference tournaments but I think this year they should cancel them.  Why take a chance for a top team to catch the virus and take a chance of missing the NCAA Tournament.  Say you're a big ten team and test positive 5 days before the tournament to begin then you couldn't play in it.

In a year where every program in the country is losing $.....conference tournaments tv wise are a cash cow. Conference tournaments will be played. 

We discussed a couple pages earlier but I hope the Big 10 sees the wisdom and doesn't force a regular season to completion. Make sure Michigan/Illinois play once at least...otherwise play the schedule out. Get the tourneys in and call it a season. No reason at all to try and make teams play 4 games 2-3 weeks in a row. 

• Like 2

I see Akron won again last night.  Seeing as how John Groce's name comes up quite a bit around here, the Zips are zipping along again.  Groce had them at 24-7 last year.  They sit at 14-4 this year.  Curiously one of their main contributors is a kid from East Noble(Kendallville).

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not specifically a basketball story, but...

Marquette faculty and staff reductions may reach 300 over next two years as they address $45M budget shortfall 

https://www.wpr.org/marquette-university-laid-39-january-staff-and-students-fear-more-cuts-are-come

Offer Wojo 30 grand a year to stay...the way things are going for them, he'd take it....

Edited by IUFLA

On 2/17/2021 at 8:19 PM, IUFLA said:

Watching a little of the Butler-Marquette game...

Garcia would have been a nice get, buy I'm glad we dodged the DJ Carton bullet...

Now we see or at least I do, what the issues probably were with Carton at tOSU.  The kid is just not a team player.  He is one of the most selfish players I have seen since Howard.  LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

Now we see or at least I do, what the issues probably were with Carton at tOSU.  The kid is just not a team player.  He is one of the most selfish players I have seen since Howard.  LOL

Know of his family. They've moved him onto greener pastures many times. Not a surprise he landed at a place where a coach would just say do whatever you feel like. I think Holtmann saw it early. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Does at Alabama...who does Nate report to? Saban? :D 

They all do. Including their Governor. Much like Knight once was....total control and I love it when I see it. I don't like Saban but can appreciate what he's done.

Given the talent that comes out of the South....I think Bama is poised to be pretty darn good until UK or someone else says that buyout doesn't matter to us. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Didn't see this before...

10 million dollar buyout over the next 2 years too...He ain't goin nowhere...

These buyouts are making it increasingly difficult to hire successful coaches from P5 programs. UCLA thought they had a deal with Jamie Dixon, then backed out when TCU wouldn't lower the buyout.

Dixon’s $8-million buyout at Texas Christian became an insurmountable sticking point for both sides, according to multiple people close to the situation, with the Horned Frogs unwilling to lower the amount and the Bruins refusing to pay it even after identifying Dixon as their top candidate.

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

These buyouts are making it increasingly difficult to hire successful coaches from P5 programs. UCLA thought they had a deal with Jamie Dixon, then backed out when TCU wouldn't lower the buyout.

Dixon’s $8-million buyout at Texas Christian became an insurmountable sticking point for both sides, according to multiple people close to the situation, with the Horned Frogs unwilling to lower the amount and the Bruins refusing to pay it even after identifying Dixon as their top candidate.

Dixon will be somewhere else in a few years...

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

DIxon is a great coach. 

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Too good for TCU.

It's his alma mater...But for some reason they're not getting the guy who coached at Pitt...Difference in the ACC and Big 12?

He's got 3 top 100 kids on his roster now...But that pales in comparison to the top tier of the Big 12 (save Oklahoma)...