Jerome Hunter

First off he’s absolutely a great kid, and I mean great kid.  I’m not sure we will ever see the same Jerome as I and many others saw before his leg injury. The kid before the injury was as good as Romeo on most days.  He seems to have lost his explosion and quickness. I really thought he’d be an NBA player when he first got on campus, and maybe he still will be, but has to get his confidence back before he gets passed up.  Most important thing though, he’s healthy playing a kids game.  

Such is the nature of sports. Seems as if he has a good attitude and is playing to the maximum of his current abilities. Worst case.....he sticks with it and is an experienced hand off the bench, and he winds up with a degree from IU with 0 debt. Much, much worse situations to be in. 

I'd like to point out that Jerome has been on the floor after loose balls as much as anyone. He has mixed it up as a rebounder way more this year and he really can spread the floor. Everything that I see from him is a willingness to be held accountable and be coached and stay tight knit with his teammates...

He is hurt by a couple of things. When we go small with him at the four, he has a hard time against bigger players. When we go big and he is matched up against smaller players he struggles against quickness. For him to play more effectively defensively I think we would have to be willing to sprinkle in some zone.

I think that there may actually be a few more matchups that work in his favor in the Big Ten. Mid majors tend to have a different type of player at the wing than in the BIG. It may be possible for him to stay in front defensively.

Offensively he is hurt by not being a great ball handler and by the fact that we are not great driving and kicking right now. 

But his positioning and physicality is way better this year.

I'm rooting for him like hell...

1 minute ago, mchenry34 said:

I'd like to point out that Jerome has been on the floor after loose balls as much as anyone. He has mixed it up as a rebounder way more this year and he really can spread the floor. Everything that I see from him is a willingness to be held accountable and be coached and stay tight knit with his teammates...

He is hurt by a couple of things. When we go small with him at the four, he has a hard time against bigger players. When we go big and he is matched up against smaller players he struggles against quickness. For him to play more effectively defensively I think we would have to be willing to sprinkle in some zone.

I think that there may actually be a few more matchups that work in his favor in the Big Ten. Mid majors tend to have a different type of player at the wing than in the BIG. It may be possible for him to stay in front defensively.

Offensively he is hurt by not being a great ball handler and by the fact that we are not great driving and kicking right now. 

A whole lot of truth in this post.  Jerome will never be All Big Ten, but he can be a reliable 8-10 ppg scorer, who can occasionally drop 16-18 on someone.  But, he needs a good defensive matchup for him to be able to stay on the floor.  

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

First off he’s absolutely a great kid, and I mean great kid.  I’m not sure we will ever see the same Jerome as I and many others saw before his leg injury. The kid before the injury was as good as Romeo on most days.  He seems to have lost his explosion and quickness. I really thought he’d be an NBA player when he first got on campus, and maybe he still will be, but has to get his confidence back before he gets passed up.  Most important thing though, he’s healthy playing a kids game.  

It’s clear that his lower body strength isn’t where it needs to be

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So far Archie first class has been disappointing. 2 transfers after not finding any real role.  1 very talented year out of a 5 star that while being great was probably a bit below his ranking. And then Hunter and Phinisee who have struggled to have that breakout after bad injuries to both.  

Sure, its been a little disappointing, but I think you have to really take the injuries into account. 

Hunter had a life-threatening medical condition. That is no small thing. 

Yeah, maybe Langford underperformed his ranking, maybe, though I'd argue that team was really hurt with injuries and then you're also coming into a coach's second season. But also with Langford, it's no small thing that he played almost the entire season with a torn ligament in his shooting hand. That's a pretty impactful injury for a wing/shooting guard. 

Then with Phinisee we all know the injury history, then add to it he really wasn't ranked all that high anyways. What was he, in the 130'? Yeah, I hoped he was going to be better, absolutely, but its also not like he was a top 50 guy. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sure, its been a little disappointing, but I think you have to really take the injuries into account. 

Yeah, maybe Langford underperformed his ranking, maybe, though I'd argue that team was really hurt with injuries and then you're also coming into a coach's second season. But also with Langford, it's no small thing that he played almost the entire season with a torn ligament in his shooting hand. That's a pretty impactful injury for a wing/shooting guard. 

Then with Phinisee we all know the injury history, then add to it he really wasn't ranked all that high anyways. What was he, in the 130'? Yeah, I hoped he was going to be better, absolutely, but its also not like he was a top 50 guy. 

Was it life threatening? That's not the impression I got. I thought it was a serious injury/condition to the point where it was career threatening but not to the point that it was life threatening.

Regardless, it was serious and not only kept him out for a year but also kept him from playing and mostly practicing for that year. That has obviously effected his development and might permanently hinder him from reaching the potential he had coming out of HS.

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mentioned the injuries. So yes I took those into account.  Injuries robbed us of these players but that’s still disappointing. 

Rob hasn’t seemed to develop since his concussion and Jerome has not looked like the same player before his injury. Which is very disappointing 

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think people on this board really had too high of expectations for Hunter as well.  on another thread someone was saying he could be better than Watford.  i certainly don't see that.  

I think the guys talking about Hunter were the ones who saw him practice before freshman year and he had his leg condition. Us mortals didn’t see that version of him. 

27 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think people on this board really had too high of expectations for Hunter as well.  on another thread someone was saying he could be better than Watford.  i certainly don't see that.  

Perhaps not but he was a top 50 recruit.  Whose now had 3 summers to prep with the team and a season of play under his belt.  You would typically expect more from a kid with that chance.  Either he’s a bust or the injuries stole something from him.  

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Was it life threatening? That's not the impression I got. I thought it was a serious injury/condition to the point where it was career threatening but not to the point that it was life threatening.

Pretty sure he had a DVT, which is absolutely life-threatening. Had a cousin die from one a couple of years back.

3 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

Good insight, this is a good assessment of where he is.

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

I think the guys talking about Hunter were the ones who saw him practice before freshman year and he had his leg condition. Us mortals didn’t see that version of him. 

Correct. Everyone who saw him that summer coming into his frosh year was talking about how good he was, then he won the gold jersey, and was going head to head with Romeo - who himself commented on how good Hunter was. Had nothing to do with fan expectations 

47 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Pretty sure he had a DVT, which is absolutely life-threatening. Had a cousin die from one a couple of years back.

DVT can be life threatening, and for athletes, the treatment itself is an additional risk. If a clot dislodges, it can find its way into the lungs or brain. Also, part of the treatment is blood thinners, which for an athlete, means absolutely zero high impact or heavy contact workouts, due to it being so hard to stop bleeding. 

I think everyone was hoping Jerome would find his old self and be that shooter we were told about and the player everyone was raving about. 
He seems to be a great young man and I hope he sticks it out at IU. That being said, I believe this is his year to show he can contribute to the team. If he can’t find his game I’m afraid he will get push down the bench. Once these incoming freshmen start slowing the game down in there head I believe they will start playing more and more. 

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Before his injuries, at least in practice, he was absolutely unbelievable!  I wish all of you could’ve seen it.  Some players are practice players but his sure looked to translate to the game before his injury

Jerome may never be the star we hoped he would be but the kid can shoot. I can easily see him being a zone buster for us. Tough for many wings to alter his shot with his height. Problem was Archie kept using him at the free throw line where he isn’t comfortable and even if he gets it is not strong with the ball off the dribble. When he put Trey there (someone that can pass very well and drive) and moved Hunter to the wing he knocked down a 3. Easily could be running that baseline looking for 3s when people drive or when they go zone. I am happy we are playing better but I think there are some opportunities to put guys in position to succeed and play even better.

Jerome’s only 37 games into his career. He wasn’t cleared for full participation until late September 2019, so he’s only had one off season of work, which was this weird COVID year. I noted before that he needs more lower body strength. May be residual of his prior condition. Will need another off season of work probably, but he is only a redshirt sophomore. Lots of time left for him

Archived