Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Speaking of his shot and the shooting of the team.  I tried to drum up the interview last year or so of CAM speaking about shooting.  He was asked something along the lines of how much of shooting is on the coaches and do they do any work on changing a guys shot?  Iirc he said something along the lines of they don't mess with shots or don't have time to mess with shots and that shooting is all about gaining confidence.  

So with that said, TJD shot is exactly the same awkward form as last year.  He may have hit a few jumpers early but has only taken what, one jumper in the last 4 games.  His free throw looks nice but his jumper is odd with his off hand almost in front of the ball instead of on the side just steadying.  I don't understand.  If you are making 3.5 mil you teach everyone how to shoot.  How that's not your responsibility as a coach is baffling to me.  

Coaches only have so much time to work with the players so they have to prioritize what they work on. Apparently, shooting is not a priority to them and the players must be expected to fix their shots by themselves on their own time.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like I said, I think he should come back. Until he adds a perimeter game he isn't ready. 

But we've seen tons of guys leave too early when they should have stayed. 

Sure, but usually guys who leave early despite not being ready have the elite size and athleticism that make NBA teams willing to take a chance. I don't see TJD as having those things, so if he wants an NBA team to use a draft pick, a roster spot and money to get him, I think he needs to be ready. 

Just now, OLDIUFAN said:

It would be interesting to know. If some of the guys who left early wished they would have stay another year or so in college. 

I know I have heard guys like Barkley and some of the older guys saying that they actually enjoyed playing college basketball over the NBA.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

How do any of us know what they practice on in practice or on off season work outs.

Just going off a direct quote from coach.  And the fact that Al still shoots sideways, TJD still puts his guide hand in front of the ball.  We don't know about individual workouts.  CTC had a shot doctor.  From what we know, CAM does not.  

11 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Sure, but usually guys who leave early despite not being ready have the elite size and athleticism that make NBA teams willing to take a chance. I don't see TJD as having those things, so if he wants an NBA team to use a draft pick, a roster spot and money to get him, I think he needs to be ready. 

All kinds of different guys leave early. Some don't make it because they lack skill (shooting), some because they're undersized at a position, etc., but tons of guys leave too early for a variety of reasons. 

It would not be that out of the norm for a guy averaging 20pg and 8rpg to leave, regardless of his limitations. 

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Speaking of his shot and the shooting of the team.  I tried to drum up the interview last year or so of CAM speaking about shooting.  He was asked something along the lines of how much of shooting is on the coaches and do they do any work on changing a guys shot?  Iirc he said something along the lines of they don't mess with shots or don't have time to mess with shots and that shooting is all about gaining confidence.  

So with that said, TJD shot is exactly the same awkward form as last year.  He may have hit a few jumpers early but has only taken what, one jumper in the last 4 games.  His free throw looks nice but his jumper is odd with his off hand almost in front of the ball instead of on the side just steadying.  I don't understand.  If you are making 3.5 mil you teach everyone how to shoot.  How that's not your responsibility as a coach is baffling to me.  

I remember that quote and I believe he qualified it with 'during the season.' 

I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure Archie was saying that you can't really mess with a players form during the season, that's off season stuff. During the season you just have to work on reps and their confidence. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I remember that quote and I believe he qualified it with 'during the season.' 

I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure Archie was saying that you can't really mess with a players form during the season, that's off season stuff. During the season you just have to work on reps and their confidence. 

That makes more sense.  

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hence, my uneducated conjecture comment. 

None of us know a thing about what is worked on. None of us know what a kid, or his advisors are thinking. 

Get it that a message board is all about conjecture but no one here really knows 

nope.  just speculating.  just giving opinions.  my opinion is that TJD is not ready, but he'll go.  my opinion is that guys work on their shot in the offseason, but still can't shoot.  no inside info though.  

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hence, my uneducated conjecture comment. 

None of us know a thing about what is worked on. None of us know what a kid, or his advisors are thinking. 

Get it that a message board is all about conjecture but no one here really knows 

i think i'll counter with - if we're only allowed to post what we know for sure, this board will lose a lot of action.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think people need to understand there's a difference in thinking he is ready to be an NBA player and thinking that he'll decide to enter the draft.  those are completely unrelated things.  

I think we all get that, but this isn't a discussion where we are saying a guy that is a borderline first round pick should come back. The folks saying he is going have brought up a lot of former players, but all of them were at worst borderline first round picks. TJD is very likely to be told by scouts he wouldn't get drafted. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I agree - but I also thought Cody could have benefitted after one more season, and just look at the career he carved out. He never really developed an outside jumper at IU, had a bad finish against Cuse, and a lot of people said he wasn’t ready. Cody however had great ball IQ and the in game work horse effort you need. TJD is outstanding, he’s good enough for the League imo, but the way he’s playing now he’d get destroyed on the defensive end and his jogging back on D doesn’t cut it. He did show some shooting in the early games so I think there’s more there than we’re seeing now, but do think another season would benefit him - end of the day though it will come down to the feedback he gets on where it looks like he’ll get drafted. If he is pretty solidly in the top 20 or so can’t see him risking that to come back 

Cody was three inches taller, a better athlete, and a better defender. Cody would average 30 ppg under Archie IMO. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Like I said, I think he should come back. Until he adds a perimeter game he isn't ready. 

But we've seen tons of guys leave too early when they should have stayed. 

I get that, but those guys that we thought needed to come back were still usually projected as a relatively good draft pick. I don't think right now scouts would tell TJD he would get drafted. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I get that, but those guys that we thought needed to come back were still usually projected as a relatively good draft pick. I don't think right now scouts would tell TJD he would get drafted. 

I don't mean just IU guys, I mean tons of guys around college basketball have left early when they weren't projected as even high 2nd round picks. 

I agree with you, I just also wouldn't be shocked if he leaves. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don't mean just IU guys, I mean tons of guys around college basketball have left early when they weren't projected as even high 2nd round picks. 

I agree with you, I just also wouldn't be shocked if he leaves. 

I won't be shocked either I just don't think we are at the point with him to think it's a reasonable assumption be will go. I think it could happen because good college players make bad decisions every year, but he doesn't have the profile of a guy you assume is gone. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I won't be shocked either I just don't think we are at the point with him to think it's a reasonable assumption be will go. I think it could happen because good college players make bad decisions every year, but he doesn't have the profile of a guy you assume is gone. 

Yeah, I think we pretty much agree. 

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

ok.  glad i'm wrong on this one.  i'll count on him coming back.  improves my outlook on next year quite a bit.  thanks for setting me straight!  glad you have the facts.  

Archived