Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t have the answer either! Archie had a couple real problems in Justin Smith an D Green. I believe they destroyed the chemistry of the team. Both made incredible stupid plays at really important times of the game. Crazy turnover that just demoralized the team. 
I believe we are on an upswing! 

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Rutgers is oldish. Were trying to get there. Can you imagine our current freshman as upperclassmen? I think archie is doing just fine. 

I think that Galloway colors the freshman class in a better light than we have seen.  Everyone else hasn't had a chance to really show anything.  Now i am not saying they won't be good and i am sure Lander will be what everyone expects and Galloway is well, Galloway, but the rest i haven't seen enough to say what they will be in 3 years.  

This is just me.  But i have been caught in the hype before, the movement was supposed to be the start of something, and it was, a bowel movement

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Rutgers is oldish. Were trying to get there. Can you imagine our current freshman as upperclassmen? I think archie is doing just fine. 

Yeah, I love our freshmen and sophomores and would like to see Archie coach them for 4 years. 

I think we have the makings of a good program with these guys, but we do the wins to come sooner than later. 

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Guys.  I'll be honest.  I was ready to give up on the season.  Even with the win, my blood pressure can't handle this.  I care too much.  I need to stop caring.  

I had to distance myself for that reason unfortunately. It literally was making me visibly frustrated. I can’t be as passionate as I am about IU basketball and UT football, have both teams where they are for this long and just KEEP wracking my brain over it season after season. I eventually just took a huge step back. I gotta catch my breath for a stretch.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I love our freshmen and sophomores and would like to see Archie coach them for 4 years. 

I think we have the makings of a good program with these guys, but we do the wins to come sooner than later. 

I know Geronimo has had much time but I was impressed he had enough confidence to shoot that 3 at UI when we were up 2

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I had to distance myself for that reason unfortunately. It literally was making me visibly frustrated. I can’t be as passionate as I am about IU basketball and UT football, have both teams where they are for this long and just KEEP wracking my brain over it season after season. I eventually just took a huge step back. I gotta catch my breath for a stretch.

I guess I use to be that way but an outcome of a game shouldn't effect you this way because it is not healthy

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know Geronimo has had much time but I was impressed he had enough confidence to shoot that 3 at UI when we were up 2

Agree, I'm still in the Geronimo camp. More raw than I had hoped? Yes. But you can also see the skill he has to go with the athleticism. 

He just needs time to mature and develop. I think there are big things ahead for him. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, I'm still in the Geronimo camp. More raw than I had hoped? Yes. But you can also see the skill he has to go with the athleticism. 

He just needs time to mature and develop. I think there are big things ahead for him. 

All of the freshmen are very supportive of the team. All very engaged. I know Archie and the coaching staff are talking to them and telling them to be patient, their day will come...

And to be honest, I think it'll be sooner than later that all 4 mature..if not later this year, then certainly next year they'll be big time contributors...

Just now, IUFLA said:

All of the freshmen are very supportive of the team. All very engaged. I know Archie and the coaching staff are talking to them and telling them to be patient, their day will come...

And to be honest, I think it'll be sooner than later that all 4 mature..if not later this year, then certainly next year they'll be big time contributors...

Agree. Each one of them, to varying degrees, have had moments of good play and shown flashes. 

I like them all in terms of the long term. 

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I forgot who said it, but there’s the adage: good teams Can win in multiple ways. I think the frustrating thing about this team is that we can lose in multiple ways. 

-We can’t shoot....and then have a good shooting game and lose.
-We need to avoid scoring droughts...and then we avoid a significant scoring drought and then lose.
-TJD needs to be aggressive....he does and we lose.
-the guards need to step up....they do and we barely win by the slimmest margins with favorable calls down the stretch.

....and now, we need to improve our defense when that really hasn’t been a problem all season. 

On the optimistic side, it seems that we can correct specific aspects. But can we put everything together? Heck, put 3 of these aspects together and we are a pretty good team. It’s like this team has tunnel vision; once they fix the one problem their supposed to focus on, they drop the ball elsewhere.  

I kinda equate it to my golf game.  I have the skill set to probably be a single digit handicap.  I can drive 280ish, am really good with my irons, have pretty good touch in my short game and am a really good putter.   My problem is i can only do about 2 of those at once durring a round and never know which 2 its guna be so i usually shoot 85-95 and spend 3-4 hours cussing.

Our guys can play D.  They can rebound.  They can shoot.  Problem is they cant manage do put a whole game together.  If they do, they could be dangerous.

It’s an understandable continuing battle with patience, but the reality is CAM is still building/developing his foundation, his players, along with his getting older mantra.

I’m not all the way in on his approach, I’ve been pretty vocal about my belief he is under-utilizing / under-developing Lander, that he should play Hunter more (who had a quiet but effective contributing game last night), that our offense has suffered due to his over - focusing on any defensive mistake or perceived lack of readiness from a few players — but I have been and am in the camp that believes he is steering us in the right direction, that we’ve gotten better each year, on both sides of the ball, that his recruiting is solid, that he’s a strong X’s and O’s Coach, and that the young guys he has brought in look like a really good foundation for the program going forward. I’m really high on Geronimo’s upside, Galloway’s rapid growth and future, Lander’s elite talent  and Leal’s upside (that kid can shoot). And our offense was really good against PSU. We’re headed in the right direction

i like that the freshman class has 4 different style of players that nearly fit a lineup.  Lander as a PG, Leal as a shooter, Galloway a SF, maybe Geronimo is undersized for a PF, but to a degree.  question is how often does a group of guys stick around 3-4 years together?  if they do, add a couple pieces and we'd be very exciting.  sounds like Duncomb could be one of those pieces.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i like that the freshman class has 4 different style of players that nearly fit a lineup.  Lander as a PG, Leal as a shooter, Galloway a SF, maybe Geronimo is undersized for a PF, but to a degree.  question is how often does a group of guys stick around 3-4 years together?  if they do, add a couple pieces and we'd be very exciting.  sounds like Duncomb could be one of those pieces.  

Lander probably would be the only one who would have a chance to leave early.  Just look at UW where they star 3 5 year seniors and the other 2 are 4th year seniors

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

There's just something missing. We need the wins to come at some point. 

I know I'm biased but why can't IU ever seem to catch the other team's sh*tty game?  Every opponent seems to show IU it's best...just once, I'd like to see the other team not making circus shots against IU.

Just a perception but it seems the opposition always has a much easier time getting jacked up to play IU than vice versa.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

I know I'm biased but why can't IU ever seem to catch the other team's sh*tty game?  Every opponent seems to show IU it's best...just once, I'd like to see the other team not making circus shots against IU.

Just a perception but it seems the opposition always has a much easier time getting jacked up to play IU than vice versa.

I think we got Providence on one of their bad days and maybe Stanford

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We have smacked MSU recently - but yeah. 

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That’s what I’m always saying. IU would have handled most “bottom feeders” as people are saying PSU is, by 20 points last night. 

57 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Spot on. The unfortunate reality is everyone expects instant results and gratification in today’s society. I’ve preached for the past couple of seasons to give Archie 5-6 years to get a full cycle of “his” recruits and his system in place. Throw in 2020, Covid, it’s gonna be an up and down year. I also think more people (myself included) are desperate for success and relevance. I truly believe it’s coming.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We have smacked MSU recently - but yeah. 

Yeah...a little hyperbole mixed with frustration in my statement but it really does seem that way too often, IU gets a much better than average performance from their opposition. I'd certainly argue that Northwestern and Penn State played one of their better games against IU and that's no disrespect for what Northwestern has done this year, but I don't see them sustaining it over a season.

Turdue is another team that can look like dogsh*t against other teams but then play like the globetrotters against IU. (exhibit last season)

Archived