Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

I think you kind of answered your own question regarding Lander, when you mentioned Galloway. Galloway, right now, is DOING the things we all hope Lander will be able to do in the future. Not a knock on Lander, at all. 

That's a fair point -- but while Galloway is kind of playing like a point-forward (he's really a guard), he's not playing the primary on-ball role -- he's not a point guard, and doesn't have the handle of a point guard, and we need better on-ball decisional play from the primary ball handlers.

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think you can instill it in individuals like that, but you can in the larger entity of a team. The problem comes in when your leaders are all so laid back, which has seemed to be the case for IU for 4 years. Archie needs to recruit killers and he really hasn't done that. 

Oh, I agree...It definitely has to come from the players...

I seriously believe that by the time Galloway, Leal, and Geronimo get to be Juniors, we'll see a different attitude team-wise...

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's a fair point -- but while Galloway is kind of playing like a point-forward (he's really a guard), he's not playing the primary on-ball role -- he's not a point guard, and doesn't have the handle of a point guard, and we need better on-ball decisional play from the primary ball handlers.

Great use of the term "decisional play"!

Does that basically mean, "don't do dumb stuff"? 😁

Just now, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  If the shoe was on the other foot, I would have felt bad if we got that kind of call.  

i do feel like we got calls.  the one on TJD was a fairly big call that we got at a big time and they could have called that one on Rob and even the very last shot.  of course i think all of them were the right calls, but they were close and big calls and they all went to us and we still only won by 2 in OT vs. PSU.  

2 hours ago, madmax said:

Which would require, at worst, a 4-13 record from here on out if all games are played? I’d probably offer 10-1 odds we do better then that.. 

Are we winning the Big Ten this year? Probably not. Are we one of the bottom few teams? Almost certainly not. 

of course all teams have off nights and matchups mean a lot too, BUT... when you look at us beating one of 4 teams in the conference (other than us) that is not currently ranked by 2 in OT at our place... i am curious if you had to bet on 4 more games that we'll win, what would they be?  just curious.  i'd say MD, at Neb, vs. Purdue, then not sure?  maybe home vs. MSU or MN?  but don't forget MD beat Wisc at Wisc.  don't forget we seem to not be able to beat Purdue any more.  MSU has looked terrible, but they are currently ranked and MN beat Iowa and MSU.  anyway, just curious which ones of those you'd bet on? 

my Take on the game last night:

The good:
- Guards looking to attack. It is so much better for the offense when the guards are trying to attack. We saw that from Durham, Phinisee, Galloway, and Franklin...TJD needs to embrace the fact that this will open things up for him to operate more freely
- ball movement. It was much better both from side to side and vertically up the court. That's the most dangerous we have been in transition in a long time, largely because we were pushing with the pass really effectively...The offense not only hit a few more open shots, it produced open shots continuously throughout the game
- contributions from a wide variety of players (Hunter was a bit of an unsung contributor last night)
- adjustments: the game was won late when we stopped switching everything and changed our ball screen coverage to keep our guards in front of their very quick and talented backcourt, the use of several different actions that countered the personnel and coverages that Penn State was using
- pulling out a win after having given away momentum more than once
- I felt like we didn't flinch when Penn State was shooting the heck out of the ball...we tended to keep attacking, in the past we would have started walking the ball up the court and pound the ball into the ground at half court

The Bad:
- there were some pretty poor efforts defensively. Notice how often TJD was being taken out. It is largely because his ball screen coverage was atrocious
- ill timed turnovers...we gave them momentum they hadn't earned several times throughout the game. Our turnovers came in two major ways --> trying to do too much individually in transition, and trying to force the ball to TJD (as an example, in the first two minutes of the game, the play that led to Race's big block in transition is that Durham was driving left and staring down TJD trying to feed the post. Franklin was in the corner and his man cheated off of him to steal the post entry pass. He had cheated off Franklin so obviously that Franklin would have either gotten a wide open three or easily would have been able to feed the post himself as his man closed out on him. Those little things are how an offense goes from looking inept to lookin unstoppable)
- I was concerned with TJD's body language and interaction with teammates last night...He was robbing the team's energy and having a negative impact in a lot of ways last night
- I'd really like to see more minutes for Lander, and I'd love to see Leal get some spot minutes against zones...he has a really sound and fundamental approach to attacking a zone (I get that he would have a hard time guarding on the other end)
- The team really needs to work on seeing the whole floor (Galloway does the best at this) we often have people open two passes away or while we drive, and we just don't make the winning pass as often as we need to

End of Game:
- I thought the actions used at the end of regulation and OT were well designed and put us in good positions to succeed.   - Penn State may have caught a break to a certain extent with that foul called on Dread, the ball had come to Franklin who had a head of steam headed for the lane...With Dread fouling out, they had a "Timeout" and ended up with the game tied instead of down...
- Phinisee fouled the guy 

51 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

yeah that is tough. But he is the future so i would take some rob and al minutes, not alot but he should get imo about 7 minutes per half

One has to wonder what the program vision is? 

Is Archie feeling the pressure now from admin that he is relying on solid upperclassman who will run the defense, but have limitations on offense?  Every game there is a three minute scoring drought.

Did Archie recruit Lander as basically a redshirt this year?

With looking at the future, Lander is the future.  He is the only pg to commit and Archie has gone after a bunch.  Furthermore, a 5 star top ten talent riding the bench does not help with recruiting.  And, facts are facts, recruiting has been a miss since Dawson committed to Marquette.  I will say the Stewart kid is a huge pickup and Logan looks yo be a solid recruit as well.  

Whats the deal?  Am I missing something with Lander?  Looking at the future, this is not, on paper, good for recruiting and adding to the offense that plain and simple struggles.

But, I will say that Rob and Al are important pieces to this program.  

39 minutes ago, DWB said:

FWIW, I've felt the same way on this point. Something is missing. I have a theory...

IMO virtually every guy that Archie has recruited is a really, really good kid. Comes from a great family, smart, and has good basketball skills and IQ. My theory is that maybe the guys are too good of a kid. I don't see the toughness of a Bohannon, a Brian Cardinal, a Michael Lewis, et al. (Galloway is getting tough with his competitiveness).

CAM is trying to instill that toughness. But I don't think it's easy to do. Hence the slow progress.

I grew up a good kid, good family, got good grades in school, played a little bball, but I wasn't tough. Still ain't... over 50 years later...

Could it just be something as obvious as shooting?

I’m serious. The last 3 years we have gotten many open shots within the flow of the offense, but can’t capitalize. Our free throws are inconsistent at best, yet, his offense draws a lot of fouls. This prevents us from closing the door on a comeback or putting a team away when we have the lead. You can’t blame CAM for Romeo’s wrist or Jerome’s leg, but we have had open spots on the roster and the transfer market is deep. Even CAM admitted regret last year about not going after a shooter harder.

Get shooters. Get a shooting coach. Get a Zen master. Get something.

And before everybody reminds we that we shot great in the second half last night, we didn’t make the shots in crunch time that could’ve put the game away. We miss shots that let our opponent back in the game time and time again. The game shouldn’t have fallen on to Rob at the last second after PSU blew up our play off of a timeout. 

In a round about way shooting = confidence. Confidence = swagger. Swagger = toughness. An unconfident tough guy is an oxymoron. This team craves that swagger with all the flexing they do, but unfortunately it rarely lasts. 

9 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

my Take on the game last night:

The good:
- Guards looking to attack. It is so much better for the offense when the guards are trying to attack. We saw that from Durham, Phinisee, Galloway, and Franklin...TJD needs to embrace the fact that this will open things up for him to operate more freely
- ball movement. It was much better both from side to side and vertically up the court. That's the most dangerous we have been in transition in a long time, largely because we were pushing with the pass really effectively...The offense not only hit a few more open shots, it produced open shots continuously throughout the game
- contributions from a wide variety of players (Hunter was a bit of an unsung contributor last night)
- adjustments: the game was won late when we stopped switching everything and changed our ball screen coverage to keep our guards in front of their very quick and talented backcourt, the use of several different actions that countered the personnel and coverages that Penn State was using
- pulling out a win after having given away momentum more than once
- I felt like we didn't flinch when Penn State was shooting the heck out of the ball...we tended to keep attacking, in the past we would have started walking the ball up the court and pound the ball into the ground at half court

The Bad:
- there were some pretty poor efforts defensively. Notice how often TJD was being taken out. It is largely because his ball screen coverage was atrocious
- ill timed turnovers...we gave them momentum they hadn't earned several times throughout the game. Our turnovers came in two major ways --> trying to do too much individually in transition, and trying to force the ball to TJD (as an example, in the first two minutes of the game, the play that led to Race's big block in transition is that Durham was driving left and staring down TJD trying to feed the post. Franklin was in the corner and his man cheated off of him to steal the post entry pass. He had cheated off Franklin so obviously that Franklin would have either gotten a wide open three or easily would have been able to feed the post himself as his man closed out on him. Those little things are how an offense goes from looking inept to lookin unstoppable)
- I was concerned with TJD's body language and interaction with teammates last night...He was robbing the team's energy and having a negative impact in a lot of ways last night
- I'd really like to see more minutes for Lander, and I'd love to see Leal get some spot minutes against zones...he has a really sound and fundamental approach to attacking a zone (I get that he would have a hard time guarding on the other end)
- The team really needs to work on seeing the whole floor (Galloway does the best at this) we often have people open two passes away or while we drive, and we just don't make the winning pass as often as we need to

End of Game:
- I thought the actions used at the end of regulation and OT were well designed and put us in good positions to succeed.   - Penn State may have caught a break to a certain extent with that foul called on Dread, the ball had come to Franklin who had a head of steam headed for the lane...With Dread fouling out, they had a "Timeout" and ended up with the game tied instead of down...
- Phinisee fouled the guy 

I look forward to posts from mchenry the same way I look forward to post-game breakdowns by Adragna. Excellent, insightful breakdown, thanks for posting.

Saw the same thing with the ball movement and with Hunter, didn't catch the body language on TJD, that is something to note. Coming off his bad last game, which was particularly bad for his lack of effort getting back up the floor, he may have caught some flack. Also have been wanting to see more of Lander, remain concerned that we're not so far, but the increased role of Galloway in the offense is a plus for sure.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree. They aren't very good defensively and they don't have an inside presence, but they have five guys who play 20+ minutes who shoot 36% or better from 3. That makes them dangerous. They had a 19-4 lead against Illinois.

I’d say dangerous but not good. Not good because they have too many warts. Their weaknesses are glaring and it will keep them from winning a lot of games. Dangerous because they all do shoot the 3 so well....so you can see them get hot and upset people. They shot well enough to be in the game tonight but honestly we had every opportunity to put them away much earlier and didn’t clamp down. They will have some upsets this year but this is not a team that will make the NIT much less the NCAA.

Archived