Illinois post game

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep....and I find myself doing this too. I know we are young....but I also know IU has been asking us fans to be patient for 15-20 years and a % of the fanbase is tired of being patient. Myself included sometimes. 

I'll save the off season talk for off season but very, very busy transfer off season coming. Depending on who returns, allowed to return....you could have as many as 5 available players coming in. 

I know.  We had CTC who would make tourney, make run, then disappear for two years.  

From day one, Archie said get old and stay old.   Unfortunately, the getting old part is taking longer than expected because consistency from the upperclass is irrelevant outside of Race.  Archie will take the heat here and rightfully so.  But he should also get credit for bringing in what appears to be a good foundation and freshman and sophomores.  

unless you hire Coach K, Roy or PayPalCal and bring in 9 five stars each year, Archie’s philosophy unfortunately takes time.  

A lot of top teams in  B1G will lose guys next year and IU will keep moving up.  And once IU gets to the top of the league, there’s no reason they can’t stay there for 25 years with this philosophy.  

Archie didn’t forget how to coach overnight nor did he get here on accident.  He will rightfully be here next year whether fans like it or not.  Dolson will look at this objectively and see a good team coming back and unless a very proven coach agrees to coach here, no change will be made.  Hiring a guy like Oats right now does nothing but set the clock back.  Again.  

This sucks.  We’re frustrated.  We all want IU to be better today and yesterday, but when your upperclass goes AWOL, it’s maddening.   And Archie deserves the heat.  But he deserves next year too IMO as this has been his plan/philosophy.   

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I know.  We had CTC who would make tourney, make run, then disappear for two years.  

From day one, Archie said get old and stay old.   Unfortunately, the getting old part is taking longer than expected because consistency from the upperclass is irrelevant outside of Race.  Archie will take the heat here and rightfully so.  But he should also get credit for bringing in what appears to be a good foundation and freshman and sophomores.  

unless you hire Coach K, Roy or PayPalCal and bring in 9 five stars each year, Archie’s philosophy unfortunately takes time.  

A lot of top teams in  B1G will lose guys next year and IU will keep moving up.  And once IU gets to the top of the league, there’s no reason they can’t stay there for 25 years with this philosophy.  

Archie didn’t forget how to coach overnight nor did he get here on accident.  He will rightfully be here next year whether fans like it or not.  Dolson will look at this objectively and see a good team coming back and unless a very proven coach agrees to coach here, no change will be made.  Hiring a guy like Oats right now does nothing but set the clock back.  Again.  

This sucks.  We’re frustrated.  We all want IU to be better today and yesterday, but when your upperclass goes AWOL, it’s maddening.   And Archie deserves the heat.  But he deserves next year too IMO as this has been his plan/philosophy.   

With everyone getting a free year this year there’s no guarantee who graduates. Wisconsin could bring all 5 of their seniors back next year. Although turning 26 they may have to figure what to do about not being on their parents insurance.

2 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

With everyone getting a free year this year there’s no guarantee who graduates. Wisconsin could bring all 5 of their seniors back next year. Although turning 26 they may have to figure what to do about not being on their parents insurance.

Understood. But Garza and Ayo are all but gone.  Kids will have opportunities to play in Europe and move on with their lives.  Some Wisco kids will move on.   

9 minutes ago, Bustout said:

A good team coming back? A good team coming back is one that righted the ship and made a run. Then it could be assumed that they next season could be better.

I don’t see a good team. I see good kids and good players but I don’t see a good team at all.

You see the freshmen class play with all heart. That is refreshing. Beyond that... uninspiring.

The only thing that bothered me last night outside Rob not showing up and Al besides the 2 early 3s is that in the last few minutes of the game and all OT was our inability to run good sets. Outside the Armaan direct dribble drive we just did not get great looks. I absolutely give Illinois credit they dug in and played winning defense in OT but what sets we ran in crunch time...Archie either has to get us in a winning play our our guys are just not prepared for winning down the stretch. Both fall at Archies feet for situational preparation or game management at the end. I wasn’t thrilled that he started the second half with his starters but he always does that so it’s just who he is...but late game management is not what it needs to be if we are going to be a team that is going to constantly be in close games because we don’t have enough offensive fire power to put teams away earlier.

59 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I like Dakich though he tries too hard to be controversial.

Another amazing thing from last night, I saw TJD make a couple of jump shots! 😁

Dakich is unbearable to me.  It's sad when I like to hear former players at our two biggest Conference rivals (Hummel and Bardo) call our games more than one of our own.  Those two guys are solid, informational, and professional.  Dakich is a blow-hard.

33 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Well, IUis not in the SEC.

And, we're not in the Patriot League either, but Colgate's Net Rating is 15th and ours is 48th.  And, I'm sorry, but 9-8 with a Net Ranking of 48 is not going to get us in the tourney, regardless of what conference we play in.  There are only so many at large spots available.

Power 5 schools BELOW us in NET that will get in the tourney before we do if the season ended now.

Oregon (9-3)

Clemson (11-5)

North Carolina (11-6)

Rob Riley, Lewis Garrison, and Kelly Pfeifer should never be allowed to officiate together ever again. Funny thing is I don't remember seeing them or hearing their names before but when the first comments on ESPN Sportscenter discuss not the game but number of fouls....it's bad for the Big 10.

Was joking earlier with a few of my Illini friends. The game became almost unbearable to watch. 

Rob Riley, Lewis Garrison, and Kelly Pfeifer should never be allowed to officiate together ever again. Funny thing is I don't remember seeing them or hearing their names before but when the first comments on ESPN Sportscenter discuss not the game but number of fouls....it's bad for the Big 10.

Was joking earlier with a few of my Illini friends. The game became almost unbearable to watch. 

Someone tweeted 45 fouls in 37 minutes lol

Yeah.  We certainly did not get screwed like we did in Wisconsin.  If anything, more calls favored us.  But, I agree that the officiating made the game very, very, difficult to watch.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  We certainly did not get screwed like we did in Wisconsin.  If anything, more calls favored us.  But, I agree that the officiating made the game very, very, difficult to watch.

With the exception of TV and Bo....I rarely go find out names of officials but this was just brutal. As IU fans we've been discussing how games are called and impact on recruiting for 10+ years. Hope the rest of the conference catches up and hammers the Big 10 office.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I actually liked the show. It reminded me of Gilligan's Island only a little more upscale. Lol

Love the show (Lost, not Gilligan's Island).  Me and my 14 year old daughter actually just pulled the Season DVDs out earlier this week and have begun re-watching.  She used to curl up with me when she was small whenever I watched 'The Island Show' as she called it back then. 

Archived