AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

They should have kept Howland. But you think staying the course with supper coaching is the answer? I’m not saying make a change for the sake of it. I’m saying unless he turns it around Archie has failed, and a change will need to be made. 

What is supper coaching LOL!  Also I agree after next year if we are still having this discussion it will be time for a change.  I think where I differ from you and some others is the quality of his replacement will be.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I also think Archie is closer to breaking through than we all think. 

What is your definition of a 'breakthrough'?  Is it just 'making the tournament'?  Or, are we contending for Big Ten titles year in and year out.  Yes.  We, will eventually break that tournament drought.  But, I have a very hard time seeing Archie getting us in the position for the latter.  There are too many programs in the conference that are on much more solid footing than we are.   

39 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Yes one is the decision and the other is the paper work! 

Cutter, when an organization is supposed to spend 3.5M/year on someone, the final decision is not made by a single person. It just cannot. 

A real life example. If a company hires an accountant, the accounting manager doesn't need the president's approval. But when the same company is hiring a regional sales manager or a VP, the president himself is always an important part of interviewing process. Not only that, if the company is a multi-national corporation and there's a headquarter above it, the president of the subsidiary must get the HQ's approval. 

Archie might've been Glass's first choice, but if BOT or big time boosters didn't like his suggestion, then back to the drawing board. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

What is your definition of a 'breakthrough'?  Is it just 'making the tournament'?  Or, are we contending for Big Ten titles year in and year out.  Yes.  We, will eventually break that tournament drought.  But, I have a very hard time seeing Archie getting us in the position for the latter.  There are too many programs in the conference that are on much more solid footing than we are.   

Actually we are 3 free throws made in regulation from being 7*3 and tied for 3rd in the conference

2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Cutter, when an organization is supposed to spend 3.5M/year on someone, the final decision is not made by a single person. It just cannot. 

A real life example. If a company hires an accountant, the accounting manager doesn't need the president's approval. But when the same company is hiring a regional sales manager or a VP, the president himself is always an important part of interviewing process. Not only that, if the company is a multi-national corporation and there's a headquarter above it, the president of the subsidiary must get the HQ's approval. 

Archie might've been Glass's first choice, but if BOT or big time boosters didn't like his suggestion, then back to the drawing board. 

I agree with the last paragraph 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What is supper coaching LOL!  Also I agree after next year if we are still having this discussion it will be time for a change.  I think where I differ from you and some others is the quality of his replacement will be.

Lol. Autocorrect. Subpar coaching. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I think Archie has the chops that if he can breakthrough that he can keep the momentum going and solidify the program. 

I'm not sure if he'll have that breakthrough or not, but I don't think its as far away as most do. The reality is that this season is a razor thin margin from being that breakthrough. We've lost in OT to three top 25 programs. We're not that far off. 

But, I'm really disappointed in the lack of identity and the lack of consisten effort. Those are the two things that worry me the most and disappoint me the most in Archie's tenure to this point. 

I'm ready for a change should things not turnaround this year and next year (because he's getting next year), but I haven't given up on Archie figuring this out either. 

I really like our freshmen and sophomores, I like the Stewart and Duncomb additions, and I think with some more additions that next year could be a breakthrough. 

I don't like the results to this point, I just haven't closed the door on the results we want happening under this coach. I'm open to a change as well though, but it needs to be a homerun. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Doesn't really matter, the discussion was whether Dolson can unilaterally make the decision and he cannot. 

I personally don't think you make a move unless there is a proven, Power 5 winner that you know you have lined up. 

There are a lot of things to be concerned about with the program, and I'm not happy with the progress, I also think Archie is closer to breaking through than we all think. 

If a top-flight, elite coach is ready to come then I would support a change, if we're bringing in the next mid-major du jour, then I'd rather let Archie see what he can do with our freshmen and sophomores classes. 

But again, to the point of the original discussion, Dolson cannot make the call on his own. 

The original discussion was not about a breakthrough reaching 500 in the big ten is not a breakthrough that would be an improvement but still a failure. There are people that have much higher expectations than the current coach has been able to achieve. The product Archie has put on the floor ids terrible and most people see this. There are people who can influence a change being made and that is what is the reality of what is happening. Dolson is the one under pressure to mak the changes not The lame arse president and this is a fact. You chain of command is a formality once the money talks

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Archie has the chops that if he can breakthrough that he can keep the momentum going and solidify the program. 

I'm not sure if he'll have that breakthrough or not, but I don't think its as far away as most do. The reality is that this season is a razor thin margin from being that breakthrough. We've lost in OT to three top 25 programs. We're not that far off. 

But, I'm really disappointed in the lack of identity and the lack of consisten effort. Those are the two things that worry me the most and disappoint me the most in Archie's tenure to this point. 

I'm ready for a change should things not turnaround this year and next year (because he's getting next year), but I haven't given up on Archie figuring this out either. 

I really like our freshmen and sophomores, I like the Stewart and Duncomb additions, and I think with some more additions that next year could be a breakthrough. 

I don't like the results to this point, I just haven't closed the door on the results we want happening under this coach. I'm open to a change as well though, but it needs to be a homerun. 

Basically the hope is he is on the Bennett or Coach K trajectory and figures it out by year 5 to save his job? Then push forward from there. 

if TJD stays, which I think he does bc he isn’t projected to be a first rounder, then there is a shot to be really good on paper next year. The best players are underclassmen. But that’s troubling bc all the players on the roster have been Archie’s guys or only played for him. It’s not out of the realm for him to pull it together, but he isn’t giving me a reason to be optimistic about it. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I like our freshmen and sophomores as well.  But, even if that group stays together, it is not a Top 4 Big Ten level team. There are too many gaps and missing pieces.  

Just now, dgambill said:

Omg Scott...hang a banner**

Just showing we are not that far away from being in the top 5 of the conference.  Most of our losses are close and only been  blown out once.  We had a chance to win the other games we lost.  Not saying that is championship caliber but would show improvement from the earlier years.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

This has a Alford vibe to it.Tried everything but hiring one who played under Knight.Him and Dolson friends.Would not be a surprise.

A lot of people think Alford would unite the fan base.  They are totally wrong.  In fact, I would say that Alford would fracture the fan base to a level never seen before.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just showing we are not that far away from being in the top 5 of the conference.  Most of our losses are close and only been  blown out once.  We had a chance to win the other games we lost.  Not saying that is championship caliber but would show improvement from the earlier years.

We find ways to lose games....good teams don’t find ways to lose...they do the opposite. It isn’t just one thing we do wrong that has lost all those games. We’ve done it in a numerous amount of ways. I’m not here to say we are an awful ball team...but we aren’t a good one either. We don’t make winning plays at winning time...at least not consistently. Anyways playing the what if games are useless...reality is we are a 500 caliber team.

Just now, dgambill said:

We find ways to lose games....good teams don’t find ways to lose...they do the opposite. It isn’t just one thing we do wrong that has lost all those games. We’ve done it in a numerous amount of ways. I’m not here to say we are an awful ball team...but we aren’t a good one either. We don’t make winning plays at winning time...at least not consistently. Anyways playing the what if games are useless...reality is we are a 500 caliber team.

What I am trying to say if Archie can fix that problem then we really aren't far away.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of people think Alford would unite the fan base.  They are totally wrong.  In fact, I would say that Alford would fracture the fan base to a level never seen before.  

Agree...because in 5-6 years when we are in the same place we are now and spinning our wheels and barely making tournaments there will be people saying we are so close and others saying it isn’t good enough..with Crean and Archie no one is emotionally invested in them...Alford would be painful decision for many.

Archived