AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Georgia and Bama are stepping stone jobs. They aren’t on IU’s level. You are not going to win big there. You go there to do well and move on to a bigger program. Oats went from the mid major to a power 5 historically mediocre program. If he can do well there then he will step up again. 

Right now in the current state of our program what makes it a destination job

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Feathery said:

Didn’t say they were. But they do have good movement which is what he is saying he likes. I was being facetious. Lol

I'm a little slow today. 

I was going to say, I looked up their numbers and they're 87th in PPP and 182nd in ppg (worse than IU).

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Right now in the current state of our program what makes it a destination job

Recruiting base, financial support, good facilities, rabid fan base (though some are becoming apathetic, though the people I work with get pissed after games.)

the infrastructure is there for IU to be elite. All it is missing is an elite coach that can get the right players and develop them to a winner. 

edit: I do work with some multimillionaire IU alumna who love to complain after an IU loss. Archie has to go yadda yadda. I always tell them it only takes $10 million and they abruptly stop complaining until the next loss. Lol

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is ideal at 45 seconds because it gives teams time to actually run an offense and swing the ball side to side a few times.  Today most offense dribble around with no purpose for 20 seconds and have to take a bad shot at the end of the clock.  The thing is that the 30 second clock eliminated diversity in how teams play because you don't have time to do much in your possession.  Before the shot clock you had teams run up and down the court shooting quickly and you had half court teams who worked for good shots but did not hold the ball.  You had a few who held the ball for long periods of time which is why there is a clock today.  Why I like 45 seconds is it eliminated the stall game at the end of the game but it also gives you time to get a good shot.

You say yourself that many teams waste a large amount of the 30 second shot clock. What makes you think that would change with a longer shot clock? It would just give them more time to waste each possession.

6 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Recruiting base, financial support, good facilities, rabid fan base (though some are becoming apathetic, though the people I work with get pissed after games.)

the infrastructure is there for IU to be elite. All it is missing is an elite coach that can get the right players and develop them to a winner. 

edit: I do work with some multimillionaire IU alumna who love to complain after an IU loss. Archie has to go yadda yadda. I always tell them it only takes $10 million and they abruptly stop complaining until the next loss. Lol

You can say that about a lot of schools today who has all of those things

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Not really true because when it comes to money he has to get approval for the budget.  I have seen many owners in sports veto a signing or trade because the money was to steep to give.

The money will come from boosters for the buyout not the university budget 

5 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

You say yourself that many teams waste a large amount of the 30 second shot clock. What makes you think that would change withI also said that coaches micro manage to mucha longer shot clock? It would just give them more time to waste each possession.

I also said I thought coaches micro manage to much and that hurts as well.  I would love to be able to ask college coaches especially the older ones why they change their offenses that use to work for this garbage today.  Is that they think the players are not smart enough to actually learn real offensive plays.  Is it that they don't trust players to run good plays but something needs done or they will start loosing fans of the older generation.

Just now, Cutter said:

Do people really think if dolson had the money for Archie buyout lined up from boosters and a clear plan to move forward with a new coach that the board or president would say no?

I say the president and BOT will have the final say.  I don't think Dolson would make any move towards a buyout until he has the OK from them.  The AD runs the sports department but not the whole University and this is an University decision.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guarantee you if the president and BOT says no to a coaching change there will be no change

You are certainly confident about this I just disagree. Things have been talked about for some time already. Dolson is under pressure now

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

You are certainly confident about this I just disagree. Things have been talked about for some time already. Dolson is under pressure now

As a Reds fan I remember that the GMhad a trade in place to trade Barry Larkin but the owner stepped in to stop the trade.

49 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Georgia and Bama are stepping stone jobs. They aren’t on IU’s level. You are not going to win big there. You go there to do well and move on to a bigger program. Oats went from the mid major to a power 5 historically mediocre program. If he can do well there then he will step up again. 

Bama is a projected 2-3 seed this year.  Seems to me it’s possible to win big there?

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well in a year with a pandemic going on I can't see how an AD goes into the presidents office to ask for 10 million for a coach to leave.  then you have to hire a new coach who probably has a buyout as well so that will turn into huge money.

It’s a lot...I do look at it like this. The buyout of the other coach is always going to be the same...throw that out. (Depending on how many years...but if you wait longer the good coaches may get a new contract and their buyout goes up). Nevertheless buyout of other guy is pointless. The salary next year for the new guy is going to be minus whatever you would have had paid Archie...so it will go up but not crazily. So what you basically are facing is simply the buyout cost this year vs buyout cost next year. 7 million dollars is the only number that matters honestly. 10 vs 3. If your going to make a change is 7 million worth getting the guy you want now vs maybe not getting him next year.

I think we win enough games to finish this year out and Archie gets another year but heck if we finish below 500 this year...all bets are off for sure. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Every now and again sure. But they will never be like a Duke or Kentucky at the top on a yearly basis. 

I don’t disagree.  But, doesn’t mean it’s a bad job at Bama or Georgia when you can make 3mm/year.  Plus, if it is has the potential to be stepping stone to a major hoops program, doesn’t seem like a bad job at all to me personally. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It’s a lot...I do look at it like this. The buyout of the other coach is always going to be the same...throw that out. (Depending on how many years...but if you wait longer the good coaches may get a new contract and their buyout goes up). Nevertheless buyout of other guy is pointless. The salary next year for the new guy is going to be minus whatever you would have had paid Archie...so it will go up but not crazily. So what you basically are facing is simply the buyout cost this year vs buyout cost next year. 7 million dollars is the only number that matters honestly. 10 vs 3. If your going to make a change is 7 million worth getting the guy you want now vs maybe not getting him next year.

I think we win enough games to finish this year out and Archie gets another year but heck if we finish below 500 this year...all bets are off for sure. 

If it gets you a sure fire great coach it is worth it but those guys are not coming

Archived