AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BDB said:

True.

Sampson was a really good coach. What he got in trouble is now legal. Wasn’t like he was paying kids! Like some other programs that got hit with a lot less from NCAA. Not like he had a bull class that his athletes took and nerve attend but got An A. Like North Carolina, oh yeah and no punishment for that. 
He did how ever have kids not going to classes. Sounds like there was some serious personal issues. So could we clean that up, could we but someone in charge that would make sure these things don’t happen. 
He can coach! An recruit 

Just now, Cutter said:

Money is key! How much is the real cost of paying a coach 3 million a year to be a loser! 

Well in a year with a pandemic going on I can't see how an AD goes into the presidents office to ask for 10 million for a coach to leave.  then you have to hire a new coach who probably has a buyout as well so that will turn into huge money.

1 hour ago, Bustout said:

100% disagree. But to each their own. ZERO ZERO ZERO pressure, 3mm+/year, unlimited resources.  The main reason they may not be great is bc of their coach - not what they have to offer.  

It’s not unlimited resources though. Their resources go to football, basketball gets less. It depends on what you value in a job. If you want a job that makes money and there is no pressure to win then sure. If you want a job where there are expectations to perform at the highest level and administration and coaching want to be the best then it’s not a good job. I’m not a millionaire but would take less to work for an organization that wanted to be the best in my field over having a team with over inflated salaries that didn’t accomplish much. 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well in a year with a pandemic going on I can't see how an AD goes into the presidents office to ask for 10 million for a coach to leave.  then you have to hire a new coach who probably has a buyout as well so that will turn into huge money.

We will see what kind of AD we have, he should take care of everything involved including the money. Asking the president of the university if it is ok to do your job would be crazy in my opinion. He needs to do what it takes to be successful before we as a basketball program are forever forgotten. IU  needs to break this cycle of incompetence. As we all know the university won’t be paying what is left of the severance package 

1 hour ago, Bustout said:

There will be other hot names and other candidates. There will always be good candidates available for IU. 

I don’t want a hot name. I want a good coach. Hot names flame out, see Archie, see Groce, see Gregory, see many many examples. Good coaches may not have the best tournament resume but they eventually produce.  See Beilein, see Bo Ryan, Jim Boeheim, etc. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

I don’t want a hot name. I want a good coach. Hot names flame out, see Archie, see Groce, see Gregory, see many many examples. Good coaches may not have the best tournament resume but they eventually produce.  See Beilein, see Bo Ryan, Jim Boeheim, etc. 

So who do you go after that is REALISTIC for us to hire.  I still think this fan base over rates the kind of job this is now in 2021.  These coaches did not grow up loving IU and dreamed about coaching here and they see other jobs more appealing.  Again our fan base can be a big asset but a liability as well because of the impatience.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't agree with that at all because any open shot is the best shot.  If it is the most efficient way to play then why is scoring and shooting% so far down.  It can work in the NBA where the players are so much better but for the majority of college basketball  it makes for an ugly game.  The thing is most people back in the day hit a lot more than 50% from the mid range because they practice it.

Think of it this way. Jordy Hulls hit 44% from 3. A player would have to hit 62% from mid range to break even. You can get that % with getting to the rim. You won’t with a midrange jumper. That’s why the game is drive the rim or 3’s. Now move the line back even further and things may change. But that’s not the case right now. 

4 minutes ago, Cutter said:

We will see what kind of AD we have, he should take care of everything involved including the money. Asking the president of the university if it is ok to do your job would be crazy in my opinion. He needs to do what it takes to be successful before we as a basketball program are forever forgotten. IU  needs to break this cycle of incompetence. As we all know the university won’t be paying what is left of the severance package 

That's not how it works. You can't just fire a coach, or even collect the money to do it, without running it by the head (President) of your organization. Even at the pro level, GM's have to run these decisions by the owner and get their buy-in before firing coaches. Heck, the vast majority have to run trades by their owners. 

Even at my job, I run a marketing department, but I can't just fire someone without getting approval from HR and the President of our company. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Think of it this way. Jordy Hulls hit 44% from 3. A player would have to hit 62% from mid range to break even. You can get that % with getting to the rim. You won’t with a midrange jumper. That’s why the game is drive the rim or 3’s. Now move the line back even further and things may change. But that’s not the case right now. 

And that is why most of college basketball is so hard to watch because the offense sucks.  also not seeing many people coming close to shooting 44% from 3.  There are way to many games that are in the 50's and 60's with terrible shooting and a lot of turnovers.  Just because some computer  geek who probably never played the game says it is the best way doesn't make him right.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And that is why most of college basketball is so hard to watch because the offense sucks.  also not seeing many people coming close to shooting 44% from 3.  There are way to many games that are in the 50's and 60's with terrible shooting and a lot of turnovers.  Just because some computer  geek who probably never played the game says it is the best way doesn't make him right.

I agree with you on this one Scott.  Sure, if you're Jordan Hulls and gonna shoot 44% from 3, get a lot of 3s off.  Doesn't mean that all 5 guys on the floor should be shooting only 3s and layups.  

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's not how it works. You can't just fire a coach, or even collect the money to do it, without running it by the head (President) of your organization. Even at the pro level, GM's have to run these decisions by the owner and get their buy-in before firing coaches. Heck, the vast majority have to run trades by their owners. 

Even at my job, I run a marketing department, but I can't just fire someone without getting approval from HR and the President of our company. 

Running  a decision by someone and asking for permission is two different things the president and board hired you and they support your decision and have your back or they don’t! It’s the AD job to make these decisions. 

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I agree with you on this one Scott.  Sure, if you're Jordan Hulls and gonna shoot 44% from 3, get a lot of 3s off.  Doesn't mean that all 5 guys on the floor should be shooting only 3s and layups.  

I am not against shooting 3's at all because you need to spread the floor.  What i don't like is being reliant on it to win every game.  Just like Crean teams where they looked great when hitting the 3's but struggled scoring when they miss.  I think the best offensive teams I have watched in college basketball over the years is who can score at all 3 levels.  Also if you are going to go to the basket and someone is standing in the lane the best thing is to do is pull up for a 12 foot jumper.  We see everyone going al the way to the basketball with two defenders in the lane and can't sc ore over them.

2 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Running  a decision by someone and asking for permission is two different things the president and board hired you and they support your decision and have your back or they don’t! It’s the AD job to make these decisions. 

That's not how it works. In any type of large organization you have to get board approval before making decisions that big. 

3 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Not really true because when it comes to money he has to get approval for the budget.  I have seen many owners in sports veto a signing or trade because the money was to steep to give.

An example about offense I am talking about is the mid way through the first half UI is up 17-10 against UW.  The scoring is so down and the flow of the offense is just not what it use to be and it is killing the game.  I think in 1977 UNLV averaged around 100 points a game without a shot clock and a 3 point line.  Coaches back then even RMK let their players play once they got on the court and not manage every little thing goin on.  Watched the 1981 final four games and none of the coaches stood or pace the sideline the whole game and they set in their chairs  most of the time.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

An example about offense I am talking about is the mid way through the first half UI is up 17-10 against UW.  The scoring is so down and the flow of the offense is just not what it use to be and it is killing the game.  I think in 1977 UNLV averaged around 100 points a game without a shot clock and a 3 point line.  Coaches back then even RMK let their players play once they got on the court and not manage every little thing goin on.  Watched the 1981 final four games and none of the coaches stood or pace the sideline the whole game and they set in their chairs  most of the time.

Seems like the shot clock hasn't achieved it's purpose.

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Seems like the shot clock hasn't achieved it's purpose.

It is ideal at 45 seconds because it gives teams time to actually run an offense and swing the ball side to side a few times.  Today most offense dribble around with no purpose for 20 seconds and have to take a bad shot at the end of the clock.  The thing is that the 30 second clock eliminated diversity in how teams play because you don't have time to do much in your possession.  Before the shot clock you had teams run up and down the court shooting quickly and you had half court teams who worked for good shots but did not hold the ball.  You had a few who held the ball for long periods of time which is why there is a clock today.  Why I like 45 seconds is it eliminated the stall game at the end of the game but it also gives you time to get a good shot.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

It’s not unlimited resources though. Their resources go to football, basketball gets less. It depends on what you value in a job. If you want a job that makes money and there is no pressure to win then sure. If you want a job where there are expectations to perform at the highest level and administration and coaching want to be the best then it’s not a good job. I’m not a millionaire but would take less to work for an organization that wanted to be the best in my field over having a team with over inflated salaries that didn’t accomplish much. 

So Nate Oats at Bama didn’t take a good job??  But he is on your short list?  

Whats the difference between Bama and Georgia in b-ball?

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is ideal at 45 seconds because it gives teams time to actually run an offense and swing the ball side to side a few times.  Today most offense dribble around with no purpose for 20 seconds and have to take a bad shot at the end of the clock.  The thing is that the 30 second clock eliminated diversity in how teams play because you don't have time to do much in your possession.  Before the shot clock you had teams run up and down the court shooting quickly and you had half court teams who worked for good shots but did not hold the ball.  You had a few who held the ball for long periods of time which is why there is a clock today.  Why I like 45 seconds is it eliminated the stall game at the end of the game but it also gives you time to get a good shot.

You can still run the offense you are talking about with a shorter shot clock. Purdue does it. 

21 minutes ago, Bustout said:

So Nate Oats at Bama didn’t take a good job??  But he is on your short list?  

Whats the difference between Bama and Georgia in b-ball?

Georgia and Bama are stepping stone jobs. They aren’t on IU’s level. You are not going to win big there. You go there to do well and move on to a bigger program. Oats went from the mid major to a power 5 historically mediocre program. If he can do well there then he will step up again. 

Archived