AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve said this before, and I always get accused of being negative when I do, but our record is what it is. We can point to the close losses all we want and say what if, but they are still losses. We have some close wins too. We could just as easily be 7-10. That is equally true to our potential better record. In the end our record is what it is. No better. No worse. 

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I’ve said this before, and I always get accused of being negative when I do, but our record is what it is. We can point to the close losses all we want and say what if, but they are still losses. We have some close wins to. We could just as easily be 7-10. That is equally true to our potential better record. In the end our record is what it is. No better. No worse. 

You're negative.  

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree...because in 5-6 years when we are in the same place we are now and spinning our wheels and barely making tournaments there will be people saying we are so close and others saying it isn’t good enough..with Crean and Archie no one is emotionally invested in them...Alford would be painful decision for many.

It will be like that if we keep making  changes every few years.  I see why people complain this far into his time here complain but what hurts is when fans start complaining in year 1 or 2

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree...because in 5-6 years when we are in the same place we are now and spinning our wheels and barely making tournaments there will be people saying we are so close and others saying it isn’t good enough..with Crean and Archie no one is emotionally invested in them...Alford would be painful decision for many.

20 years ago, I would have been happy with Alford as the successor to Knight.  But, the reality is.

• He is a mediocre coach
  • Our fan base has extraordinary expectations
  • Alford is, frankly, arrogant, and somewhat of a jerk.

I would not end well.  And, as you mentioned, when the time came to let him go, there would be a significant portion of the fan base that would be very unhappy about it, despite the results.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I am trying to say if Archie can fix that problem then we really aren't far away.

Sure...we wouldn’t be having this discussion if he could fix it. We are here because he hasn’t fixed it for 4 years. Imo the only thing that can save Archie is our guys...a couple guys on the team just realize they are pi$$ing away their chance of a lifetime and turn things around...but it won’t be anything Archie does..it will be the players. I’m tired of this discussion...I’m going to show my self out...maybe at the end of the season I’ll have enough energy to resume it. Nothing has changed with this team in 4 years...nothing except the excuses. Need to change culture, need healthy players, need to get rid of bad kids/need his players, need better shooters, need to hit more free throws...what I see is a coach that needs a lot more talent...because he can’t seem to carry his team/coach them to wins...consistently. Where will the talent come from. I like the transfer he brought...I like the new recruiter he brought in...but I’m afraid the talent will come a little to late because he can’t win enough games to keep him here long enough to bring in said talent. Honestly I don’t care for his brother in Arizona and I think Archie is like him. With great talent Sean wins...but I just don’t see him raising the level of his kids play when he doesn’t have a big talent gap. I don’t think Archie will ever have said gap in the B1G so I don’t think he will win the conference.

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Losing 12 of 13 in year 2 with zero adjustments will do that to folks. 

Yep...look at Cal....he has won NC, multiple final fours so on and so on and he has this horrible stretch of ball and they want him fired....few if any coaches can survive the losing streak Archie had....It’s a testimony to our loyalty that he has any fans left at all.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

20 years ago, I would have been happy with Alford as the successor to Knight.  But, the reality is.

• He is a mediocre coach
  • Alford is, frankly, arrogant, and somewhat of a jerk.

I would not end well.  And, as you mentioned, when the time came to let him go, there would be a significant portion of the fan base that would be very unhappy about it, despite the results.

I really thought that Dakich would be Knight's successor.

Just now, rico said:

I really thought that Dakich would be Knight's successor.

Well, looking at what I posted, I would actually only have to change one word.

• He is a mediocre coach
  • Alford Dakich is, frankly, arrogant, and somewhat of a jerk.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• He is a mediocre coach

I think somewhat is not needed...they both are a jerk plain and simple from all I’ve seen and heard

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• He is a mediocre coach

He might not have turned out that way if he had remained at IU under Knight...

Archived